Anyone registered for 2021 long races?

spiriteagle99
spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
I just realized that I'm 19 weeks out from a marathon that I deferred from last spring (Coastal Delaware). That means I need to get serious about my training again, under the assumption that the race will actually happen. Of course, I have no idea what the situation will be then, so it's a bit hard to get motivated to work that hard again. Anyone else in the same boat?

I do have the option of running a more local race (Gettysburg), if Delaware gets cancelled. They held a deferred Festival of Races in October, so they do know how to put on a Covid race, but I've run the course and am not sure I really want to do it again. OTOH, if it's the only game in town, and I've trained, I'll at least keep the option open.

Still, the question arises: do a simpler easier training plan like Higdon Intermediate 2 or attempt to get a PR by following a more challenging plan? Given my age and family situation, I don't know how many more marathons I'll do. I haven't felt at all motivated to push myself this year, since the races were all cancelled in the spring. I'm hoping that having an actual race on the calendar and training plan in my log will help get me focused again.

Anyone else?

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited December 2020
    I'm running Bandera 100k in Texas January 9th. I'll either be running the full or the half in Pittsburgh in May and I'm running San Diego full in June. I've run a couple 50k's, DNSed a marathon (Jim Thorpe - injured calf), and ran several other races (halves, 5 and 10k's) since July. One of these days I'll make it to Gettysburg to run that one :smile:

I'm not sure of your age or other situations (family is always first) but I'll be 52 next month and I plan to go after a BQ either in Pittsburgh or San Diego. I'll be doing a very challenging plan (Daniels 2Q).

Strangely I've managed to push myself pretty hard this year since I stopped formal training. Without the pressure of hitting paces and other goals I've been able to relax and enjoy running again. I set PR's for the half, 10k and 5k.
  • 142jmh
    142jmh Posts: 82 Member
    I'm looking at my first 50k or 50mile in May. I'm a bit cautious to actually sign up and go for it though. But, the original runs I had planned have been moved to the fall so won't work with the other stuff in my life.
    I'm starting to get fed up with the internal debate haha, guess I'll have to make the decision soon!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Registered for Ironman Chattanooga in September. Last year was supposed to be my return to racing after a year long injury rehab, but the races were cancelled. I threw in the towel on training in late summer. My swim and run fitness has slipped quite a bit, but I'll be ready to dig in starting in January. :)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    That first marathon, scheduled for October 2020 is now allegedly on for October 2021. We shall see. Deferred my entry to next year instead of doing it "virtual". Did the 175 mile, October to Christmas, run virtual from the G.W. Bridge to the Delaware/NJ line. Finished two weeks early. yay.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 548 Member
    I've got 4 marathons on the calendar - and a handful of other distance "practice" races in between. First up is Ellerbe Marathon in Ellerbe, NC on Feb 27th - I went on a hunt for small marathons in remote places hoping to find one that would not be cancelled...so far this on is still on. After that it is the Mt Charleston Marathon in Las Vegas on April 3rd - then I'll take a few months to recover and get back to training for Nebraska Marathon in October and Route 66 Marathon (Tulsa) in November.
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    I am just starting out (AGAIN) so no long races for me this coming year, yet. But glad to see so many folks ramping up!
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    I just realized that I'm 19 weeks out from a marathon that I deferred from last spring (Coastal Delaware). That means I need to get serious about my training again, under the assumption that the race will actually happen. Of course, I have no idea what the situation will be then, so it's a bit hard to get motivated to work that hard again. Anyone else in the same boat?

I do have the option of running a more local race (Gettysburg), if Delaware gets cancelled. They held a deferred Festival of Races in October, so they do know how to put on a Covid race, but I've run the course and am not sure I really want to do it again. OTOH, if it's the only game in town, and I've trained, I'll at least keep the option open.

Still, the question arises: do a simpler easier training plan like Higdon Intermediate 2 or attempt to get a PR by following a more challenging plan? Given my age and family situation, I don't know how many more marathons I'll do. I haven't felt at all motivated to push myself this year, since the races were all cancelled in the spring. I'm hoping that having an actual race on the calendar and training plan in my log will help get me focused again.

Anyone else?

I’m also signed up for the Coastal Delaware marathon! I deferred from last year as well. Where are you located?
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Leigh_b wrote: »
    I've got 4 marathons on the calendar - and a handful of other distance "practice" races in between. First up is Ellerbe Marathon in Ellerbe, NC on Feb 27th - I went on a hunt for small marathons in remote places hoping to find one that would not be cancelled...so far this on is still on. After that it is the Mt Charleston Marathon in Las Vegas on April 3rd - then I'll take a few months to recover and get back to training for Nebraska Marathon in October and Route 66 Marathon (Tulsa) in November.

A group of us did the Mt Charleston Marathon/HM two years back, since its a great Boston Qualifier. (I ran the HM) The downhill course is fast, but also a quad killer. Of course, a recovery day spent poolside in Vegas helps. :)
  • spiriteagle99
    hist_doc wrote: »

Anyone else?

I’m also signed up for the Coastal Delaware marathon! I deferred from last year as well. Where are you located?

I'm in south-central Pennsylvania.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member

Anyone else?

Looks like it was rescheduled for November 2021.
  • docsallen
    docsallen Posts: 159 Member
    I am debating a similar situation. I haven't registered, but I am on the fence. I am looking at DE Marathon (not coastal - this one is 4/25). I am wfh and have more time for training and would like to do another marathon and achieve my goal of sub-4. I also don't know for how many more seasons I will be able to follow the type of training plan I need to PR. But, I would not be motivated to train and compete in a virtual Marathon if the live one is canceled. I would very much like to find a local (within 1.5 hours of south jersey), smallish marathon that is likely to happen. I am not confident it exists for the spring. I keep changing my mind.
  • spiriteagle99
    dewd2 wrote: »

Anyone else?

Looks like it was rescheduled for November 2021.

Damn! I don't do fall races. It messes with summer travel plus I don't handle long runs in the heat at all well. Looks like I'm out the money.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    I'm registered for Texas Trail Running Festival Marathon in June!