Anyone else found intermittent fasting to be a god send?

Options
2»

Replies

• la_nanita
    la_nanita Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I love IF, I usually do 16:8 fasting from 8pm to noon 3 or 4 days a week. I did keto for a while and that is where I learned it from. Now I am going to do a combo of the two with bulletproof IF. Actually reading a book about it. I have not finished it yet but loving all of the science. Will probably not apply all that they teach but some of the concepts I will most definitely try. x54evgiy89g8.png
  • lynndotbee
    lynndotbee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't "officially" do IF, but I don't normally have an appetite in the morning so I usually just have some coffee and then eat whenever I actually feel hungry, closer to lunch time. Some mornings I wake up really hungry and on those days I eat. If I try to ignore the "ravenous hunger" cue I will get sick and can't focus on my work.

And then in the evening I try not to eat a couple hours before bed, otherwise I'm prone to acid reflux. I sleep much better if I've had at least a couple hours to digest before bed. So the result is I tend to follow a ~16:8 eating pattern without stressing it too much.

My advice though is to listen to your body. Some mornings I really need food, especially if I'm about to do a long workout. Sundays are my "long cardio" day (at least an hour of running or cycling), and I need to eat a banana before I do that or else I won't be able to complete my workout. And after that long workout I might make something quick like some scrambled eggs, otherwise I won't be able to recover well. My workouts during the work week are usually much lower in intensity and so I don't feel the need to eat right after.

Also you can slowly work your way up to a longer fast. If you aren't used to skipping a meal, just push your breakfast back ~30 minutes, then another 30 minutes, etc...you'll get used to it. That's more sustainable (to me) than trying to just power through 4 hours without food when your body isn't used to that kind of schedule.