Virta Health and nutritional ketosis?

lorib642
lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
Trying again, not sure where my original post went

I am able to go through Virta with my insurance to use nutritional ketosis to help reverse type 2 diabetes, They turned me down when .I applied before, because I have a mood disorder. My friend mentioned them recently so I reached out to see if I qualify. I have completed the application and talk virtually with a dr on 1/25.

It is medically supervised with a dr, health coach and forum. They provide a starter kit with a scale, meter, glucose and ketone test strips.

Has anyone used this program. It starts at 12 weeks but I can extend to 12 months.

I think it was a good thing I was turned down initially because I don’t think I was ready at that time to give up carbs. I am willing now.

It is a lifestyle change. Is it sustainable?

I have sooo many questions . I will start going through the stickies.

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    I haven't used this program though it looks like the ol'schoolers Phinney and Volek are involved. Let us know what you think.

It looks like it might be good for someone who has T2 diabetes who can't find a low-carb diet supporting Doc (just based on a cursory glance).

Anyone else has experience?
    @lorib642 Be sure to keep us updated on how the program looks once you get into it.
  • lorib642
    uaikhrxneleu.jpeg

Got my starter kit. Talk with health coach tomorrow
  • lorib642
    I am going to start keto on Wed. I have already started eating less carbs, but not enough for ketosis. I want time to go to the grocery store before I begin.
  • lorib642
    Started today. Mid day glucose 102 ketones 0.9 gki 6.2. So it seems to be working. I feel full. I drank a protein shake because I don’t eat much protein. I had digestive issues in am, I think it was the MgCl Virta recommends. I took 2 tablets. I am going to try just one, later in the day tomorrow. I feel fine now. I think I used to eat more of boredom. nothing seems appealing at the moment.
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    Just wanted to say congratulations on your first day! So Exciting.

I'm sure you will see good results. rest assured once you fully crossed into ketosis, and kicked the carb addition you will start to find that your cravings and general urges to eat will be greatly reduced. All the best in your Journey!

Unfortunately I can't add anything in regards to the program, but I'm certainly interested to hear more!
  • lorib642
    A little update. Things are going well. My fasting glucose is running in the 80s where it used to be 125. Ketones and gki are in therapeutic range. Weight down about 5 lbs. had bacon and eggs with veggies this morning.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    lorib642 wrote: »
    A little update. Things are going well. My fasting glucose is running in the 80s where it used to be 125. Ketones and gki are in therapeutic range. Weight down about 5 lbs. had bacon and eggs with veggies this morning.

That's so great!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Very exciting, lorib642! You might want to split up your magnesium and make sure you have a bit of something in your tummy at that time. I take magnesium bisglycinate and it's much easier on the digestive system as well as being very absorbable.
  • lorib642
    Thank you. I did switch to glycinate and it seems a little better.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    lorib642 wrote: »

Sounds like you are going good. Mag. is a hard one to get just right. I need lots, my husband needs like 0 supplementation. If it does cause digestive issues try soaks in epsom salt.

Wishing you continued success.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Great interview!
  • pdonnellon
    pdonnellon Posts: 1 Member
    Lorib642 I'm curious, now that it's been almost 4 months, how has your Virta experience been? I'm also part of the program. My BS is way down, but still not perfect. Weight loss has been as good as can be expected, so I like that aspect. I'm a little liberal with my diet and following along, so my ketones are always on the lower range of ketosis, but still there.
  • lorib642
    Sorry for the novel. Tl: Dr I am happy with the program. Good glucose control.

I am in the lower range for ketones too. I am not perfect on the diet. Virta has really changed my way of eating.. my last blood test in June A1C was 4.8 fasting 98 so Virta Dr took me off Januvia. Still on metformin. I have teledoc appt with my endocrinologist Fri. Virta sent over some info. After I went off Januvia my biometrics went bad for a couple of weeks. They are better now. I have lost 15 lbs but have stalled. It may be I eat too much fat. I log my food but sometimes I estimate.

A member gave me a yogurt recipe I am going to try. Something I would not have done before. It is supposed to help your gut Flora. I posted it on the nutrition forum to see if anyone has thoughts on the recipe.

My blood pressure had been creeping up and with the weight loss is normal.

I tried a CGM for 2 weeks. I got a free trial. most of the food I eat does not make a huge difference. I tested it by eating a donut and glucose shot up. I also felt bad, tired afterwards.

My husband has type 2 also. He gets kidney stones so his Dr recommended a different diet, not keto. He eats low glycemic, lots of non starchy veggies less carbs than he used to. He reversed his diabetes as long as he stays on his diet. He inspired me to try Virta. I thought I would not be able to do it, but I am sticking with it

I am trying adding intermittent fasting. My goal was 16 hr fasting but I may do less. My Dr said it is okay for me. If nothing else not snacking at night should reduce some caloric intake

I am having an issue where my insurance dropped me from the program even though I am eligible. Support said they have others and that we can stay in for free until they get it figured out
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Guess I'm old. Not up on all the abbreviations. What is CGM?
  • lorib642
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    Guess I'm old. Not up on all the abbreviations. What is CGM?

Sorry, continuous glucose monitor, I tried a libre 14 day sensor. It started reading low after about 12 days but gave some insights.
  • cherie8525
    cherie8525 Posts: 109 Member
    @lorib642
    It feels amazing getting into ketosis, I have more energy this summer then I have in the last 10yr
    Take measurements ! !! even if number on scale doesn't change, your numbers in measuring will! !!
    congratulation for loving yourself to gift this journey
    Two youtube channel that I found helpful is Dr Boz and Dr Ken Berry