Living The Lifestyle Friday 1/8/21

Options
imastar2
imastar2 Posts: 5,968 Member
Sorry for the late start busy day all day.

We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - Al_Howard (Al)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - imastar2. (Derrick)

TODAY’S TOPIC: Do you exclude a food, food type or a food especially prepared in a certain way ie; example fried etc; period? or perhaps eat it in moderation.

Replies

• Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    The two primary exclusions for me are foods too high in added sugar and saturated fat.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,857 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Hmmm . . .

I tend to exclude fried foods, because of the points and the impact on overall health. There are two exception - onion rings and stolen French fries. (There’s a seafood place down the street that has great fries, and my wife gets them when we eat there. Sometimes I help; I’m just that sorta guy.)

Beyond that? I haven’t had Chinese or pizza in ages. Both are associated with overeating in my past, and I haven’t been able to break that link. They fall into the “I’m done when the food is gone” category. The only treatment that works for me is abstinence.

Of course, there’s foods I avoid because I don’t like them - like okra or lima beans - but I don’t think that’s where this is going.

(What is this “moderation” of which you speak?)
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    Fried foods are mostly excluded, initially because of high points but now because I don't enjoy greasy food anymore. At least not in high volume. I do help DH with onion rings (only a couple) and french fries (I'm usually disappointed, preferred crispy air fried these days).

I've also excluded most fast food, chinese, and italian, unless I make the last 2 myself.

And I've eliminated most alcohol.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I generally only exclude the things I'm allergic or sensitive to. I'll eat fried foods on occasion, but in moderation. As I've gotten older, my stomach isn't a fan of fried foods. I tend to have an energy crash after things that are super sugary, so usually avoid those. (Except this Xmas cookies!)
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    Options
    I rarely do fried. Doesn’t agree with me now.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    I rarely do fried. Doesn’t agree with me now.

I'm not sure they ever agreed with me, but in the last few years I've become progressively less interested in putting up with the disagreement. Hence, fritters have pretty much done by the wayside.

• linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    I felt like my eyes were opened when Emmie and George said fried foods don't agree with them anymore. I thought, age must be why they just don't settle well anymore.

But then countcurt said he's not sure they ever did agree, and💡! I remember that I used to feel icky a lot, but it was the norm for my overeating self whose diet was full of grease, carbs, heavy foods, and excess. If only I could remember this every time im faced with overindulging!

I will be taking this info with me to the all inclusive and remember that it applies to alcohol too! Thanks for the help in navigating this new experience!