Living The Lifestyle Wednesday 1/13/2021

Options
Al_Howard
Al_Howard Posts: 8,003 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - Al_Howard (Al)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - imastar2. (Derrick)

TODAY’S TOPIC: Agitation

Replies

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,003 Member
    Options
    Agitation. Does it ever interfere with your weight loss (or maintaining) goals?
    Yesterday evening, while trying to get a Do It Yourself project, I got so agitated and frustrated that I seemed to be eating everything I could get my hands on, including two Hoodsie Cups" (only allow myself one a day). Yes I ate all I could. This morning, much calmer, and the 2.4# loss helped. ;)

How does it affect you?
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,246 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I am a stress/boredom eater. It is a battle I wage constantly, and it has impacted my weight loss and maintenance on more than one occasion. I seem to especially crave carbs during such episodes. Not too much in terms of sweets.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,093 Member
    Options
    I am more of a boredom eater but honestly I have eaten more lately with all the goings on.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,868 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. I’ve never really considered that as a link. Maybe it’s because I tend to cause more agitation rather than suffer from it?

I think maybe the answer for me is that “routine” is an important part of managing my weight. Anything that disrupts the routine - agitation, unexpected change, disappointment, new food choices - can throw me off track.

Example?

I did my official weekly weigh-in last Wednesday. Our routine is to have baked fish from The Lobster Boat after I weigh in. When I call to order, they were closed for the week for renovations. I was agitated, and I was disoriented a bit. I had to decided what alternative we had. It took me a while to settle down and make a rational decision that balanced points and time.

Had I made the decision that came to mind first, dinner would have been about thirty points. I ended up with fifteen. But agitation did trigger the potential for a bad decision.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm an agitated/angry eater.

I have slowly learned that I'm an "unfocused" eater which I think is different than "boredom" eating. I believe I over-eat most often when my brain is racing, and I don't have good choices readily available. I'm trying to pay more attention to this and ensure I have healthy options on-hand at all times so that if the urge to nosh hits, I have a healthy option on-hand. Of course, I also need to work on the front-end of that equation.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,966 Member
    Options
    I'm a boredom eater more than an agitated eater. If I'm busy (even with something that is bothering me) then I have no problem avoiding the snacks. If I'm just sitting on the couch, then it's more of a challenge to avoid snacking.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I am a fully committed anger-eater. Or boredom. But never stress.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely an agitated eater! If I can catch myself on the way to the kitchen, I can pretty consistently head myself off and make a good choice. But once I get started ....
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    For some reason pacing the floor always leads me to the kitchen.

I’ve started keeping baby carrots just inside the door of the fridge.