Diabetes & low carb - my progress so far

Options
2»

Replies

• herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Started low-carb 2 years ago when my A1C was 9.0 the highest it had ever been. 2 years later, down 80 pounds and my A1C is 4.8. My insulin has been reduced by 89%p7eir907dmni.jpeg

Great job!! Hard work pays off for sure 🤗 you look happier and younger too! ::hugs::
  • tanbron
    tanbron Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Low carb has been working well for me. My blood sugar numbers look great.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful DiabeticDer, I'm not diabetic but my DiL is and I worry about her, she eats way too many carbs but I can't a won't interfere. I'm low carbing simply to lose weight and avoid ill health. I am 87 and healthier than she is at sixty which is wrong especially in these pandemic times.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    MissyCHF wrote: »
    That is wonderful DiabeticDer, I'm not diabetic but my DiL is and I worry about her, she eats way too many carbs but I can't a won't interfere. I'm low carbing simply to lose weight and avoid ill health. I am 87 and healthier than she is at sixty which is wrong especially in these pandemic times.
    MissyCHF wrote: »

@MissyCHF many of us know what is like to have friends and family in the same boat. The road to a longer healthy lifespan is full of pot holes.

This morning I got my 6 year badge from MFP and was thinking about how info from other members have impacted my health gains since Oct 2014 when I got serious about eating for life instead of an ugly premature death.

Sadly we now understand these pandemic times mainly stem from our past history of eating and moving life styles. I fought learning how to eat for health instead for my emotional needs until I was I was about to go under for the third time.

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    rfsatar wrote: »
    Brief history.
    Diagnosed the same year my mother died. In that time I lost about a stone and half rather quickly and put it down to the stress and the grief... dropped about a stone when my dad died so didn't think any more of it.
    Was working a tennis tournament (sports journalist by trade) and was constantly thirsty, and the next tournament a week or so after I had that and pins and needles in my hands constantly.
    Went to another tournament and things were much the same.
    Went to the docs and when I told him about the weight loss etc and he took alarm and sent me for blood tests.
    My BG was high (112 in UK numbers) - T2 is diagnosed at 48!
    My FBG was 18 (should be between 4-8!)
    My cholesterol was high
    My BP was high.

Diagnosis done, I remember asking a cousin which I should tackle first and she suggested moving to Low Glycemic Index foods and in doing my research stumbled across the UK Diabetic forums and LCHF.

My only 'mistake' was joining a FB group where they ONLY believed in LCHF and not managing by both meds and diet (as I already exercise a lot anyway).

I had brought BG down to about 59 but then suffered burnout in the year or so after because I was trying to survive off protein bars and cup soups when I was away... and it was not ever going to work.

I was bullied out of that group despite a nicer GP in my surgery helping me come to terms with the fact that if I continued to do a role that involved constant travel and not being able to control carb intake then I would have to manage alongside meds.

Once I made my peace with that and with his support as at that time I was also becoming allergic to the Libre Freestyle sensor adhesive, things settled down especially with lockdown, NO freelance work and being able to exercise to my heart's content and home cook all the time.

Within a few pounds of being below 10st for well over a decade, and have built up stamina and strength in my cartilage-less knees and so far can do sessions in C25K and with the help of my physio I have broken them down and increase the time running in 30s increments so as not to have the knees flare up constantly. It means taking forever to even complete a week because I do one on the treadmill and one on the spin-bike but as my physio says (I was a former 400m hurdler) ... 'you are not running any races here, and you are not going for PBs. You just need your knees to remember the days they COULD hold you up'

It is a constant battle and I will never forget leaving that group feeling a failure because I did not fit THEIR idea of LCHF. What I do works for me and I unapologetically tell people who want to evangelically argue the toss about their favourite way... 'you do you, and leave me to do me'.

This group has been a revelation to find. There was another T2 diabetes group but seems nowhere near as active with people like me managing as best they can.

Onwards!

Welcome. Sorry about that FB group. We aren't like that here. We are very roll-your-own as far as low carb plans. We'll only say anything to someone if they are being ugly or to gently give advice to people doing unsafe eating plans.

We have T2 folks here there and everywhere in the group. Feel free to converse here or make other threads for yourself calling for others to be more active and chat with you. We used to be more active in the group as a whole, but then FB became more popular and people left us for that format. Unfortunately, some people go over there to stay and act...unkind.

Anyway, welcome again, and best wishes.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Thanks @baconslave (which by the way is THE BEST handle ever).
    My GP still harbours a fear that I am actually Type 1.5/LADA (basically the adult version of T1). My dad was diagnosed when he was about my age and was put straight on insulin.

So we'll see because even sometimes with steady control my pancreas decides to go totally wonky and my BGs soar for no apparent reason which is... vexing, to say the least!

But for now it has looked steady for the past month so we'll see what my h1 comes back as.

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Welcome. Sorry about that FB group. We aren't like that here. We are very roll-your-own as far as low carb plans. We'll only say anything to someone if they are being ugly or to gently give advice to people doing unsafe eating plans.

We have T2 folks here there and everywhere in the group. Feel free to converse here or make other threads for yourself calling for others to be more active and chat with you. We used to be more active in the group as a whole, but then FB became more popular and people left us for that format. Unfortunately, some people go over there to stay and act...unkind.

Anyway, welcome again, and best wishes.

+1 on this. I know what works for me, but it took a while to figure it out. This group was a help in that process.

• 2t9nty
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    What a difference. Just started keto yesterday. My fasting glucose is usually around 125, this morning 95 and before lunch it was 73. I take metformin and januvia and hope to have them reduced. It could be a possibility

Keep an eye on your numbers until you talk to your doctor about reducing meds. This is a very good indicator so far!
  • lcharpentier2
    lcharpentier2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Lori642
    Anything is possible if you put your mind to it. I just started back on low carbs yesterday but didn't finish as low as I wanted. Having a fair day so far today.
  • prodigal6766
    prodigal6766 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have been type 2 diabetic for about 13 years and my last A1c was 5.7. I just started low carb beginning of the month, so my next labs should reflect my change in diet. I have taken Metformin for years (500 mg) and just started ozympec. I am hoping to eliminate the Metformin soon. I keep carbs around 50-60 grams daily. I walk everyday, but no gym yet. I have lost 11 lbs this month so I think I’m on the right track. Would I benefit by lowering my carbs even more? Thanks.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    I have been type 2 diabetic for about 13 years and my last A1c was 5.7. I just started low carb beginning of the month, so my next labs should reflect my change in diet. I have taken Metformin for years (500 mg) and just started ozympec. I am hoping to eliminate the Metformin soon. I keep carbs around 50-60 grams daily. I walk everyday, but no gym yet. I have lost 11 lbs this month so I think I’m on the right track. Would I benefit by lowering my carbs even more? Thanks.

I keep my carbs very low, but not everyone can feel satisfied eating that way. I find we are all a little different in how the body responds. Tastes and preferences are all over the map.

My counsel is that you should have the carbs fairly consistent as meds get adjusted. It lets the doctors figure out appropriate dosages. For me anyway, I saw a big improvement in BG testing at about the 50 g point in the journey.
  • dennis3031
    dennis3031 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I follow 2 YouTube channels defeat diabetes & low carb down under discussions from medical professionals I’ve found it really helpful