Introduce yourself!

Options
Katmary71
Katmary71 Posts: 6,629 Member
Tell us a little about yourself and what you like to read!

Replies

• HappyIsBeautiful70
    Options
    Hey I’m Pat aka Ninja! I’m a mom, a MiMi, and an avid dog lover, and I love the smell of old books. Lol. I’m currently decorating my she shed that will be my own personal library.
  • HappyIsBeautiful70
    Options
    I love series books.
  • LondonParisTexas
    LondonParisTexas Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, this is so great! I have wanted to join or start a book club for ages and now it’s happened. So I love reading and really just about anything. I love the classics (Jane Austen, Dickens, Somerset Maugham) but also Fantasy, Loved the Harry Potters, Twilight, The Hunger Games. At the moment I’m reading Gogol’s Night Before Christmas. I always struggle with Russian literature and this is no exception. Didn’t have much time to read over Christmas so am finishing it now. I’ll let you know. Oh I should mention I’m an English literature teacher and this year in class we have read The God of Small Things, Arundhati Roy, Animal Farm-Orwell and we are about to start Jane Eyre. All very different but worth reading or re reading. Happy reading!!!
  • Katmary71
    Options
    How fun, I haven't read many classics since high school!

I'm Kathy, I enjoy reading a little of everything and started reading young. My mom's a teacher who worked at bookstores later and my happiest childhood memories involve going to bookstores with her and getting huge stacks of new books! I mostly read her hand-me-downs right now which are urban fantasy, science fiction, some romance, and mysteries. My favorite are psychological suspense, medical suspense, and I went through a horror stage for awhile. I also enjoy health books of various types. I'm game to read just about anything!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Elizabeth. I read some as a child but not too much as an adult, maybe a handful a year. I love real books but found it difficult to read..I probably needed glasses and my lighting sucked.

Then my friend gifted me a kindle. Game changer. I now read at least 4 books a month. Sometimes more sometimes less. Insomnia helps!

I like a good mystery, family dramas (The Turner House), a few biographies and some non fiction, though I tend to skim those and not always finish. I enjoy some young adult as well (Hunger Games) and historical fiction - typically in the 20th century. A strong female lead is my fav.

I haven't read too many of the classics, but have them on my list. 99% of my books are from the library.

Oh, I also love cookbooks. Do those count?
  • LondonParisTexas
    Options
    Didn't say I'm Sarah-Jane my MFP pseudo is because I'm an English lady born in London,married to French man married in Paris and my daughter lives in Texas!!!
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Chris, I'm a corporate librarian by day, bibliophile 24-hours a day lol. I have loved to read since I was a child, it was my escape from a dysfunctional household. I love to read horror, literary fiction, graphic novels (no superhero though), some fantasy and sci-fi, and on a very occasional basis, mysteries. I love a quirky book and I often challenge myself with really long books.

As a librarian, I love paper books but I had to face the reality that I live in an 872 square-foot condo and don't have the room for physical books. I get a lot of audiobooks from the library but I'm too slow of a reader for physical copies from the library and plus, I am a collector, so I get Kindle books a lot of the time.
  • losemicaroline
    losemicaroline Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Carol.

I enjoy reading fiction (including contemporary Westerns and underdog tales), poetry, and children's lit. I have to do a fair amount of reading in relation to my work, but I tend to read slowly when reading for pleasure--so, my book list just keep growing.

Recently, I finished Daniel Nyeri's Everything Sad is Untrue a complex children's text which I loved and will read again soon, because I know I missed a lot the first time around. Two other recent favorites of mine are On Earth We are Briefly Gorgeous and Inland, which ticked all the boxes for me: Western, ghost story, camel-human love story.

I also loved, just loved Olive Kitteredge and Olive Again.

And I cannot seem to edit the italics in my post, try as I might--they just keep multiplying.

And Elizabeth, I do think cookbooks count! https://washingtonpost.com/food/2020/12/09/best-cookbooks-2020/

Carol

• LondonParisTexas
    Options
    I love cookbooks! The Nigel Slater Diaries are great reads! And I have several other foodie books I'll have to dig out as I can't remember the titles.
  • tuffgirl19
    tuffgirl19 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I Ashley and I have always loved to read! My grandmother was a librarian so I always got great books from her and think it’s how I developed my I’ve of reading. Psychological thrillers and true crime are my favorites. I’ve been reading on my Kindle for about 5 years now and I love the Libby app. We have 2 boys, 25 and 14. My older son loves to read too, but he likes the feel of a book. My 14 year old would rather have his teeth pulled than have to read for pleasure or school😂🤣 Well, he did read all Diary of a Wimpy Kid books!
    So happy Angela told me about this group!!💕
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    @tuffgirl19 Welcome! I love the Libby app as well, although I only listen to audiobooks through it. Hopefully your 14 year old will come around and enjoy reading, too!
  • LondonParisTexas
    Options
    Welcome..so great to see all the book lovers!
  • Katmary71
    Options
    @tuffgirl19 Hi Ashley, it's great to meet you! Psychological thrillers are my favorites! I don't read them as much because the nearest library is closed and I mostly read hand-me-downs, I look forward to hearing what you like!