Boron

Options
GaleHawkins
GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
@KnitOrMiss some time ago in some thread about supplements you suggested I might be interested in Boron and I did not forget that since your remarks are typically on target. After a crazy summer I checked out Boron and ordered some. I am reading the research article below over and over. Boron is awesome and it is positive for my Ankylosing Spondylitis already. I did not know it is thought to help address metabolically syndrome concerns, hormones, etc. Thanks.

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4712861/

Nothing Boring About Boron

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me about this...now I have to hunt up some boron. BTW, I miss @KnitOrMiss . I hope she is well.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    That's a great study, @GaleHawkins, that was one of the convincing studies for me to take boron in the first place. It's raised my testosterone really high and I don't take it all that often anymore. Boron + oysters are a crazy combo.

@KnitOrMiss had a lot of knowledge that was beneficial. I'm going to take boron again today which I've neglected.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @TheDevastator had you taking Boron long when your testosterone level started testing high? I do not think my testosterone level has every been tested.

I have upped my Magnesium supplement intake to about 2 grams a day without triggering any common side effects so far and I am holding my daily Boron intake around the 20 mg as noted in the research paper.

While I still have some general joint pain the sharp grabbing joint pain seems to be on hold for now. I now get out of bed without leg cramps and before it could take several tries to push through the pain even with high Magnesium supplement usage.

My couple months of heavy Pomegranate juice (16+ oz daily) usage has really helped to have consistent stools. I love the taste so at $25 a gallon I must have expense tastes. :(

https://health.harvard.edu/drugs-and-medications/testosterone--what-it-does-and-doesnt-do
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    One thing to watch out for is not to take boron every day but about 5 times a week maximum. It's water soluble so it will leave the body if you have extra with a 2 day break.

I can't believe Harvard health after all the garbage they post. I don't think my testosterone is abnormally high either. I was tested to have low testosterone maybe 15 years ago but that was on a SAD diet.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    I think most people want the best and if they have the income, they will have expensive tastes.

I don't believe having pasteurized fruit juice is good for you anymore. It loses a lot of nutrition being heated. I'll have it on a rare occasion with some amaretto, but that's about it. But I'm mostly carnivore now, and don't believe fruits and veggies are the answer. If I'm going to spend a fair amount of money on something, it won't be liquid calories and carbs and most likely be a good cut of beef like a ribeye.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22668657/

Magnesium deficiency: does it have a role to play in cataractogenesis?

As I drill down on the need for Boron to get Magnesium into the brain I ran across the above that caught my attention on two levels. In earning my OD degree in 1986 they never covered cataract prevention. I do remember perhaps in my first year they let a more advanced student come in one day and he talked about black strap molasses to prevent/reverse cataract development. I wondered why they let him take up class time but nearly 40 years later I still remember the event.

https://healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/benefits-blackstrap-molasses#:~:text=Blackstrap%20molasses%20is%20a%20byproduct,A%20second%20boiling%20creates%20molasses.

"Blackstrap molasses contains both calcium and magnesium, so it can help you guard against osteoporosis. About 1 tablespoon of blackstrap molasses provides 8 percent of the daily value for calcium and 10 percent for magnesium.

Adequate levels of magnesium are also crucial in preventing diseases like osteoporosis and asthma along with others that can affect your blood and heart."

After I went Keto 6 years ago my vision improved and my cataract development slowed or stopped. I was in school for 4 years with my optometrist and we both graduated in 1986 from SCO. He told and showed me about 10 years ago I was shaping up to need cataract surgery maybe 5 years done the road. I am still OK with driving at night and I can read my smart phone screen without glasses for a while and am now 20/20 at far.

I read increased inflammation can cause cholesterol levels to increase as mine did when I went keto like to over 300 but it is dropping 10-20 points each year. High cholesterol is one sign of magnesium deficiency I learned. A year from now I hope with boron/magnesium usage I see my level down to 200 if there is a connection.
  • TheDevastator
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I like animal foods for cataract prevention. The foods like molasses, fruit juice, and even honey are not worth the nutrients for the amount of simple sugars unless you are doing an extreme workout and not overweight.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Adding about 20 mg of Boron and doubling down on Magnesium while staying to the high side on Pomegranate juice for the past couple weeks the sharp grabbing joint pain has really faded in intensity.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    Well good luck with your pain treatments.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    I am still doing upto 21 mg of boron daily with my magnesium. Still heavy into K2 and still doing 50K units of D3 as I have done for the past 5 years. Still working to avoid the coronavirus.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    I had covid19 and high doses of vitamin c, e, k2, and d3 helped. They (Eastern Virginia Medical School) also recommend a b complex and a zinc supplement for covid19 but I ate beef, pork, and eggs. I’ll have to take boron again after a long hiatus.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    I had covid19 and high doses of vitamin c, e, k2, and d3 helped. They (Eastern Virginia Medical School) also recommend a b complex and a zinc supplement for covid19 but I ate beef, pork, and eggs. I’ll have to take boron again after a long hiatus.

Glad they helped in your case. In these times I am going to keep using them.
  • TheDevastator
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Thanks! I'm taking boron again since it's good for the parathyroid and I feel better taking it. I also was getting a slight pain in my throat so I took some kelp pills for the iodine to keep the thyroid in check.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info... now taking boron