MFP Calorie allowance seems really low

Options
ZNnerissa
ZNnerissa Posts: 26 Member
edited March 2021 in Social Groups
I am very new to MFP just over a week. I am 46 5 foot 4 and around 130 lbs. I am relatively fit looking to drop a little fat just to get some extra definition. MFP is setting my calories to 1270. I find this to be unrealistic and likely not particularly healthy even when adjusted up for exercise. My average calories over the last month or so is 1700 to 1800 per day and my weight is pretty stable. Does anyone have any recommendations? I would prefer to not be told at the end of every day how I will be heavier in 5 weeks.

Replies

• la_nanita
    la_nanita Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I typically don’t complete my journals because that last little message does nothing for me. I tend to eat back my exercise calories but there are days that I’m not particularly hungry and will eat less. Adjust to your needs. If you need really good info ask your doctor.
  • cayenne_007
    cayenne_007 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    If I'm trying to lose weight.... I leave mine set in the 1200-1300 range.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    How many total lbs and how many lbs per week did you state you’d like to lose?
  • Dabsydoolittle
    Dabsydoolittle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I recommend setting your daily calorie goal to 1500 and ignoring the little message at the end of the day. The scale will tell you if you are making progress soon enough.
  • ZNnerissa
    Options
    Goal weight was set to lose one pound
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Options
    You sound as if you don’t have much to lose - are you willing slow your weight loss rate to .25 pounds a week. At my last 10 lbs, I was lucky to lose .5lbs a week. More like .25lb week.

Like other say, I ignore that message at the end of the day and since these are all estimates, I would find a calorie goal that works for you and adjust as necessary.

Im older and an inch shorter, so 1200- 1280 was my max to lose .5 week.
  • ZNnerissa
    Options
    No I don't have much to lose. Slow is better as I want to keep all my leam mass I have worked for. 0.25 per week is fine.
  • hbug8888
    hbug8888 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel that. I'm 5'0 but my maintenance calories are literally 1,500 because I hate exercise. *sigh*.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Options
    @hbug8888 - yep! Not sure how old you are - I’m 56 - just hit near my goal weight of 115 today - was 115.6. And for fun, figured out my maintenance calories. Went from 1280 to 1350. Wow. Maybe I can enjoy a hamburger with borh sides of the bun. 😩