Type 2 Diabetes can be reversed - almost always - but don't wait too long

Options
ben_100
ben_100 Posts: 70 Member
I wanted share this email of today..

Hi Laura

Thanks so much for sharing.
I happened to read this while taking a break from listening to a podcast.
I understand your history - in one way I find it can be an inspiration for me.
I do believe that there are advances in knowledge now that are of importance and frankly I do not believe these are taken up by physicians - certainly from what I can see not by your doctor and not by mine.
My doctor, who I had a virtual appointment, via phone came to the same diagnosis as yours - and I can understand why - I had called his office to inform them that I was suddenly urinating frequently and having received some advice from my dog park pals - I had bought some test strips - and it was recording huge glucose, proteins and I think a couple other items - turns out the strips I was able to buy are pretty informative, I think they are for pregnant women to monitor their situation...
He also had in his hands my blood tests and like you I had a super high A1C mine was 11 and the fasting glucose was 14,, there also was high numbers for cholesterol, ferritin - basically bad markers for liver and kidneys as well as that I have entered into high blood pressure - a complete mess.
I had a period of several weeks of a very high and sustained stress - prior to this, as well I had gone very sweet tooth, and had started treating myself to a lot of cooking - I am literally a goat can eat anything and I was a glutton.. my weight was and has been over 250 for near a decade, and my exercise had fallen off to nothing..
He would have nothing to do with any excuses and would not entertain anything but the fact that I had T2 and he was subscribing Metformin - he indicated that he did not want me to waste his time - he had T2 as well and that was that - I could say nothing but agree otherwise our relationship was over - and in Canada although we have free health care getting a physician is very difficult, and this doctor is pretty good - and I need his prescription pad in order to get anything including blood testing.. my need is urgent and I can not afford the time to replace him,,,

So .. where are we at - well i picked up the prescription for Metformin and I started to change my diet and started to exercise - I also on my own picked up a glucose meter - which comes free as long as you buy test strips - so I made that investment.
I started to take measurements, but I have not touched the metformin. I have now had his office right a prescription for test strips... excellent, my heath care pays most of that cost...
So the numbers were high for a couple weeks and now they are down..
I am learning by reading the numbers - for instance some mornings it seems I have high glucose #'s but I have not eaten in hours.. I have found out why..

Laura I would like to suggest that you may wish to listen to this podcast ,, It is very informative it is about 35 min long and it is 2 doctors - yet it is not overly technical - the analogies used help greatly,,
If you would like I can provide it to you as I have downloaded it and give it to you in an attachment perhaps through gmail.
otherwise and I am not sure if MFP will allow a url to be entered but here it is
https://drmowll.com/orane_podcast/dr-jason-fung/

kind regards,

Ben

Replies

• ben_100
    Options
    If anyone gets a chance to listen to that podcast by Dr. Jason Fung you will find that;
    1] the symptom is sugar - too much of it - not only in the blood stream but also stored
    2] measuring the symptom - basically measuring blood glucose, and getting that down is good - but where you are allowing sugar to be stored - which in the form of fat in your organs or visceral fat has to be corrected.
    3] retaining that sugar in the cells is doing damage, and more and more medicine is not getting that sugar in the cells ( fat) out of your system
    4] fasting will give your body a break and will allow the system to work again (insulin)
    5] fasting will allow you to burn that stored energy,, it will clean up the stored fat - get it out of being stored in organs - especially the pancreas

I would not wait to long as the damage that can arise to the pancreas will cause those beta cells to be hooped - then you will need insulin...

I would hope to have a support group - but not for a ' learned helplessness ' and commiserate based on the misguided information that T2 is a progressive disease - but rather a support group for Fasting - because that is a hard thing to do, to learn a new skill and having some Fasting buddies for encouragement would be great - make bearing through those early learning Fasting attempts more bearable... like a group that gets together for say a group run, on Monday Wed and Fri - but we could have a group that Fasts for a good part of those same days ///

..all the disclaimers here - I am no physician .. this might not be suitable for all.. so so at your own risk.. I take no responsibility for your decisions,., I amke no money out of any of this,.,,etc - and if it helps you , well that's good

Cheers,
    Ben
  • ben_100
    Options
    If you wait too long - as Dr. Fung analogizes you can already have done harm - such as if you run an engine out of oil, you can still add oil later, but the damage will be done...
    We want to get any fat out of that pancreas so the beta cells do not get hooped and insulin production is compromised...
    I thing energy comes from stored glycogen in the liver first but I don't know what order if any they fat leaves other stored locations - such that we are able to get it out of the pancreas in a natural method...
    I know that my morning glucose is high even though I have not eaten yet, as I believe the liver releases glycogen in accordance with your waking to help you have energy to get going... I find that breakfast is easy to skip and the Blood Glucose levels are telling me that...
    So Fasting allows me to burn this stored energy I have been packing away for years.. I ate today's breakfast 10 years ago... yummm
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I think at best T2 is put into remission, but requires maintaining that WOE ... it is a long standing argument I continually have with my cousin's husband. He was morbidly obese on his diagnosis and was told by his GP 'get walking or get dying' and as such believes walking is THE ONLY exercise. My diabetes is genetic... his wife is my cousin (on dad's side) and she is annoyed as heck that when my sugars are high, my body ignores the excess sugar for energy and munches on my muscle mass resulting in sharp weight loss (I mean a stone in a couple of weeks) ...

I watch my cousins eat well up to their annual test, then go back to eating ALL the stuff they are not supposed to. Then wonder why I have lost weight and they gain it. Then again this is the same guy who has never seen a treadmill in his life, yet seen fit to tell me my training regime worked on with a physio because of continuing knee injury rehab is wrong... so... hahah!

And interestingly - he spouts this "I reversed my diabetes" nonsense at me. Mate, no. You managed your sugar, you still eat the bad stuff after you have a decent result and you are still in the low diabetic range. But obvs much improved from DX. But STILL overweight and no signs of that shifting because they simply do not stick to that WOE. Until they both break that cycle, then they will always spin between improved management and low management. And it is pointless my telling them otherwise because they just don't want to listen!

Maybe I come at it from the POV that my diabetes is veering towards T1.5 which I know firmly believe my dad was as he went straight on insulin, DX around my age (so late 40s) but was always a fit soul and I have those genes.

I suspect people who develop T2 for the tabloid-loving reasons that demonise is that it sounds like they can be 'cured'... In the UK once you are on the diabetic register, you are a diabetic for life. But with solid effort, and determination, and a change to your way of life, you CAN keep those levels down... and for many the change in eating habits becomes a lot more fulfilling and thus not a chore.

My simple pleasure comes from looking for and developing LC versions of everything I used to love... and measuring my BG... so I know what spikes me and what I can tolerate. Again my cousins refuse to test ...

My circumstances are (were, pre pandemic) were different to theirs. I had to stick with med control while travelling and LCHF when at home. I have an endless debate with my GP who wants me to take more metformin while I argue if I am managing really well on less, why on earth should I have more?

But... I think any steps anyone takes to manage their diabetes that works for their mindset is the way forward. But as everyone's bodies and diabetes is different, I think there is no one size that fits all... hence I am always very very sceptical of the "cure your condition" brigade.

• ben_100
    Options
    rfsatar wrote: »

I think at best T2 is put into remission, but requires maintaining that WOE ... when my sugars are high, my body ignores the excess sugar for energy and munches on my muscle mass resulting in sharp weight loss (I mean a stone in a couple of weeks) ...

Maybe I come at it from the POV that my diabetes is veering towards T1.5 which I know firmly believe my dad was as he went straight on insulin, DX around my age (so late 40s) but was always a fit soul and I have those genes.

In the UK once you are on the diabetic register, you are a diabetic for life. But with solid effort, and determination, and a change to your way of life, you CAN keep those levels down... and for many the change in eating habits becomes a lot more fulfilling and thus not a chore.

measuring my BG... so I know what spikes me and what I can tolerate. Again my cousins refuse to test ...

I have an endless debate with my GP who wants me to take more metformin while I argue if I am managing really well on less, why on earth should I have more?

as everyone's bodies and diabetes is different, I think there is no one size that fits all... hence I am always very very sceptical of the "cure your condition" brigade.

Thank-you for your contribution, and accepting my friend request on MFP - your experience and knowledge is a real eye opener.

Caveat - I have been informed that I am an auditory thinker, so these posts, reading them and writing them are a great benefit for my process - I do not mean to offend or steal time from the reader as I imagine this is can be a bit selfish..
    _______

Being a T1.5 is as I understand a late stage T1 - but it seems if you are metformin only, that you are still producing insulin - and that is certainly better than a T1 autoimmune non-insulin producing diagnosis. I would be interested in knowing more as to that - for it seems to me that id someone is diagnosed a T2 follows standard medical protocol they may be headed to T1.5 - wow seems like medical and pharm industry keep slapping this back on the individual..

I believe we are on the same page with respect to lifestyle, diet and approach by the physician.

To where it impacts no one size fits all is again another insightful thought..

I took the opportunity the other day to plot out all the blood panel I have had for one reason or another, which was from 2015, 2017, 2018 then a gap and 2021 where I was diagnosed with what appeared to be a sudden onset of T2- it was insightful.

With this knowledge I could definitely see BG rising as I aged and work, diet, lack of exercise and weight all skewed in very negative ways - even back in 2015 I was bordering on pre-diabetic, I have no data for 2018, 2019 but I am hopeful that I was not diabetic then, but certainly could have been - what is key after 2015 was additional hormonal issues with work stress, and estrangement & isolation and poorer quick fast foods - heightened long term cortisol levels - which I understand now can impact heavily on effectiveness of insulin.

The sudden onset was frequent urination, and yet there was some very recent items - a several week stress event - cortisol through the roof - coupled with sweets and extreme over eating.

The immediate blood panels were through the roof - A1C of 11 and Fasting BG at 14 and other markers indicating Liver and Kidney damage.

I am very hopeful to reverse all this and I honestly believe I can - but l guess what we are saying is at best I will be able to manage this...

But let's look at this another way;
    Modern diets and offerings available are sugar loaded - and much more so than 20 years ago and beyond. The average diet back then was healthier than today's offerings. Diabetes was as I understand less prevalent then as well.

So a diet back then would entail that one was simply not taking on as much sugar.
    And BG levels would be normal.

Looking diet alone Overloading with dietary sugar is one contributor to my diagnosis.

By eating a healthier diet which is reverting to a diet of yesteryear will entail that I my BG will lower so BG levels would be normal.

So it seems to me that I am the same as an earlier era - so why be tagged with a T2 label as the system seems to indicate.

I guess the real test would be to measure insulin - not BG, and for a layman test, I guess the difference could be to still use the BG monitor as a measure and do the glucose drink test - and over load in a controlled manner can you recover like some one who never had compromised their beta cells in the pancreas..

I am hopeful that I had temporarily exceeded my Fat level (threshold)- and that once I get all excess visceral fat out and out of the pancreas that I will have enough remaining functionality in beta cells and a lesser load for insulin to take on, that I will in fact be a be 'normal' for me.

I wonder and at the risk of being to frank, that I am afraid that your body type and your father's may have been such that you had a lower fat threshold - that fat may not have necessarily been stored to the extent of others in adipose tissue but actually found its way as visceral fat that simply was not evident. If your father had the knowledge we had now, perhaps that situation would have been different for him, and by direct knowledge for you....

I agree with you, and am equally dumbstruck by our physician's jumping on the metformin - in your case wanting to prescribe more when you are creating normal BG on your own efforts..

My physician is a T2 and we are the same age, but he believes this is a disease and it is non-reversible and progressive - he made zero recommendations for diet and lifestyle - I have not touched the medicine he prescribed and I was scared silly that I was making a mistake - but with evidence of liver and kidney damage I wanted to try a natural path first before subjecting those organs to meds - my lifestyle, diet and exercise changes are overwhelming effective as noted from monitoring my BG.

Exercise was very slow to start as I realized i also have hypertension and bardycardia - my brother had arrhythmia and Uncle and cousin both died of cardiac arrest and at 256 lbs I was worried about cardiac issues but its working - BG was terrible for the first week and a half -
    but now through logging healthy meals on MFP, and sticking to it, I have some regular exercise and HRM as well as BP monitoring [picked up on your use of acronyms :) ] I have lost 24 lbs to date ( with some yo- yoing) and I have had 94% in range BG levels for the last while now - now those levels are measured for diabetics - which are a bit higher than non-diabetics but I am really hopeful I will get there...

I enjoy a challenge - unfortunately my approach to problem solving has involved intense focus, at a high cost of high stress and as I received excellent results for my efforts in the form of success in work - I did not stick my head up to see the cost - now I have a challenge and realise I am my own worst enemy - well I accept that challenge and will work with focus to (calmly) turn this into a positive...

Training for a 5k using a Garmin Coach program - and to think I never thought I would run again...

Thanks for sharing.. and much appreciate your input .

Cheers.

• ben_100
    Options
    In measuring my BG I had some odd results - and online I found a study that was done with non-diabetics over 12 weeks with continuous BG monitoring - results were that they often ventured into high BG readings as well - so that was a bit reassuring.
    My goal will be the A1C and getting it into normal..

The information on Body Fat Threshold I otained I believe from a podcast with Dr. Mowil and Dr. Rosedale - The Mastering Blood Sugar Podcast E1

I am confounded by a new approach that is HCLF from the podcasters and authors Mastering Diabetes - I think it may be for consideration for T1 but I would be too afraid to take on HC while being an obese T2.. Their approach, the authors who are 2 very fit T1's and where they have a goal of increasing the effectiveness of the insulin they have to take...
  • rfsatar
    Options

ben_100 wrote: »

Thank-you for your contribution, and accepting my friend request on MFP - your experience and knowledge is a real eye opener.

Caveat - I have been informed that I am an auditory thinker, so these posts, reading them and writing them are a great benefit for my process - I do not mean to offend or steal time from the reader as I imagine this is can be a bit selfish..
    _______

Being a T1.5 is as I understand a late stage T1 - but it seems if you are metformin only, that you are still producing insulin - and that is certainly better than a T1 autoimmune non-insulin producing diagnosis. I would be interested in knowing more as to that - for it seems to me that id someone is diagnosed a T2 follows standard medical protocol they may be headed to T1.5 - wow seems like medical and pharm industry keep slapping this back on the individual..

I believe we are on the same page with respect to lifestyle, diet and approach by the physician.

To where it impacts no one size fits all is again another insightful thought..

I took the opportunity the other day to plot out all the blood panel I have had for one reason or another, which was from 2015, 2017, 2018 then a gap and 2021 where I was diagnosed with what appeared to be a sudden onset of T2- it was insightful.

With this knowledge I could definitely see BG rising as I aged and work, diet, lack of exercise and weight all skewed in very negative ways - even back in 2015 I was bordering on pre-diabetic, I have no data for 2018, 2019 but I am hopeful that I was not diabetic then, but certainly could have been - what is key after 2015 was additional hormonal issues with work stress, and estrangement & isolation and poorer quick fast foods - heightened long term cortisol levels - which I understand now can impact heavily on effectiveness of insulin.

The sudden onset was frequent urination, and yet there was some very recent items - a several week stress event - cortisol through the roof - coupled with sweets and extreme over eating.

The immediate blood panels were through the roof - A1C of 11 and Fasting BG at 14 and other markers indicating Liver and Kidney damage.

I am very hopeful to reverse all this and I honestly believe I can - but l guess what we are saying is at best I will be able to manage this...

But let's look at this another way;
    Modern diets and offerings available are sugar loaded - and much more so than 20 years ago and beyond. The average diet back then was healthier than today's offerings. Diabetes was as I understand less prevalent then as well.

So a diet back then would entail that one was simply not taking on as much sugar.
    And BG levels would be normal.

Looking diet alone Overloading with dietary sugar is one contributor to my diagnosis.

By eating a healthier diet which is reverting to a diet of yesteryear will entail that I my BG will lower so BG levels would be normal.

So it seems to me that I am the same as an earlier era - so why be tagged with a T2 label as the system seems to indicate.

I guess the real test would be to measure insulin - not BG, and for a layman test, I guess the difference could be to still use the BG monitor as a measure and do the glucose drink test - and over load in a controlled manner can you recover like some one who never had compromised their beta cells in the pancreas..

I am hopeful that I had temporarily exceeded my Fat level (threshold)- and that once I get all excess visceral fat out and out of the pancreas that I will have enough remaining functionality in beta cells and a lesser load for insulin to take on, that I will in fact be a be 'normal' for me.

I wonder and at the risk of being to frank, that I am afraid that your body type and your father's may have been such that you had a lower fat threshold - that fat may not have necessarily been stored to the extent of others in adipose tissue but actually found its way as visceral fat that simply was not evident. If your father had the knowledge we had now, perhaps that situation would have been different for him, and by direct knowledge for you....

I agree with you, and am equally dumbstruck by our physician's jumping on the metformin - in your case wanting to prescribe more when you are creating normal BG on your own efforts..

My physician is a T2 and we are the same age, but he believes this is a disease and it is non-reversible and progressive - he made zero recommendations for diet and lifestyle - I have not touched the medicine he prescribed and I was scared silly that I was making a mistake - but with evidence of liver and kidney damage I wanted to try a natural path first before subjecting those organs to meds - my lifestyle, diet and exercise changes are overwhelming effective as noted from monitoring my BG.

Exercise was very slow to start as I realized i also have hypertension and bardycardia - my brother had arrhythmia and Uncle and cousin both died of cardiac arrest and at 256 lbs I was worried about cardiac issues but its working - BG was terrible for the first week and a half -
    but now through logging healthy meals on MFP, and sticking to it, I have some regular exercise and HRM as well as BP monitoring [picked up on your use of acronyms :) ] I have lost 24 lbs to date ( with some yo- yoing) and I have had 94% in range BG levels for the last while now - now those levels are measured for diabetics - which are a bit higher than non-diabetics but I am really hopeful I will get there...

I enjoy a challenge - unfortunately my approach to problem solving has involved intense focus, at a high cost of high stress and as I received excellent results for my efforts in the form of success in work - I did not stick my head up to see the cost - now I have a challenge and realise I am my own worst enemy - well I accept that challenge and will work with focus to (calmly) turn this into a positive...

Training for a 5k using a Garmin Coach program - and to think I never thought I would run again...

Thanks for sharing.. and much appreciate your input .

Cheers.

My symptoms were (and continue to be... when my A1C jumps into the 100s) raging thirst, and sudden weight LOSS. On each of the massive spikes, I have lost almost a stone suddenly.
    On DX, my mother had died suddenly earlier in the year, and at a tournament I was covering... I remember having raging thirst... and the following week pins and needles in my hands.
    I trotted to the GP and the sudden weight loss was the red flag he needed for the tests.

HbA1c (mmol/mol): Highest 111 (2017) 118 (2019) Lowest 45 (2017) CURRENT: 48 (2020)

(I use UK measurements, unapologetically. Google is good for converting to whatever values you use, if it helps to couch it in numbers you use, assuming you are based in the US).

I have managed to get my current GP to accept that if my pancreas goes wonky for a third time with no discernible reason then I should have the T1.5 test. By no discernible reason I mean... a sudden decision on my part to throw caution to the wind and start putting away 250g plus of carbs a day as if I was a competing athlete again. Any day I am below 100g is a great day, and I average 100-125g a day.

Everyone's circumstances are different, and yes both my father and I are probably termed as 'Skinny T2s' in comparison to the T2s that are often demonised by the Daily Mail (one of THE WORST UK tabloids)- office workers who never exercise etc. It is an easy, and indeed lazy generalisation that does diabetics who DO look after their health a complete disservice.

I was a former track and field athlete with a home gym and a training routine firmly rooted in cardio, resistance and weights to set up my day, versus my cousins who barely do a day's exercise and eat any carb that is in sight! Their BG raises correlate to weight GAIN every single time. I ate right, exercised, and still got clobbered. Go figure.

They will never 'reverse' their condition for the straight fact they will not sustain the lifestyle changes they need to. I mean... I have debates with my cousin's husband not only on reversal vs remission, but he is retired and thus can walk twice a day as his exercise and so believes it is the ONLY form of exercise that works. Then again he comes from a background where he believes he is always right so I take great delight in challenging him. All in good nature.

Don't even get me started on the debates we have about Intermittent Fasting. I cannot do it - I have tried but it affects my concentration too much and as a writer and often working long hours covering tennis tournaments, it is impossible for me to do. I have tried it, it doesn't work for me but I find IF evangelists refuse to accept that it does not work for everyone, and I have zero tolerance for such blinkered opinions.

For me, the same is true for the notion of 'reversal' but I do genuinely wish anyone on this quest the very best. At the end of the day we all have diabetes in common, no matter how we got there.

What matters though, is how we manage it for ourselves. That is the only thing that counts... managing it in a way that suits one's own circumstances and not forcing those on others. So while I see various studies here and there, I maintain LCHF when I am home (honestly, the pandemic has been amazing for me with no travelling to tournaments worldwide with jet lag, media centre food and lack of LC options, jet lag et al), I do what suits ME ...and it has been an ever evolving journey over the last 4 years. Who knows where it will end for me. Watch this space!

• ben_100
    Options
    your recent numbers look gr8 congrats..sorry for the past history of troubles you have endured..
    My diet changes and exercise and stress reduction are working wonders.. I believe that this LCHF and consistent low glycemic load has no doubt provided a reduced workload for the pancreas beta cells..in addition the weight loss with burning of fat for fuel, as noted by presence of ketones on the urine strips.. has perhaps provided more space in the pancreas for this beta cells as fat is evicted from their roles as squatters .. I am a much better landlord now that I have had the scare and threat of this T2 diagnosis..
    Watch this space
  • ben_100
    Options
    Interesting article..anyone up for a book review...well actually it is one page online article
    https://www.aarp.org/health/fitness/info-2007/belly_fat.html
  • ben_100
    Options
    This Article noted above from Holly St. Lifer a health and fitness writer - Ladie's Home Journal - focuses on a female case history and explains in excellent understandable terms the science of visceral ( belly ) fat.

Here is couple grabs from the article:
    1] the flow of fat from our arms, legs, and hips to our stomachs is a natural part of aging. “Up until about age 40, estrogen in women and testosterone in men controls fat allocation, keeping it away from the abdomen,”
    2] “Once these hormones decline, it becomes easier for excessive calories to be stored deep inside the belly.
    3] While you can’t control the buildup of belly fat, your lifestyle habits can influence how much midlife fat you accumulate.
    4] don't be a stress eater - stress causes your body to secrete excessive amounts of the hormone cortisol, and too much cortisol triggers cravings for high-fat, high-sugar foods.
    5]stress eating doesn’t just pack on pounds; it packs on pounds in the worst place, your middle (cortisol stimulates fat production deep in the abdomen).
    6] stress influences where that fat actually gets deposited on our body,
    7] Make Muscle - Once you hit 30, your lean muscle mass decreases by about a pound a year.
    8] Two studies that analyzed the effects of strength training in older adults between ages 50 and 70 showed a 10 to 15 percent decrease in belly fat despite no weight loss
    9] Doing moderate to vigorous aerobic exercise almost every day also can keep abdominal fat in check
    10] metabolism—the rate at which your body burns calories—gradually slows down as you age
    11]To avoid gaining weight, the rule of thumb is that for each decade past 40, you should consume about 100 fewer calories a day

Now it goes on to talk about types of food and also how much to exercise
    On those it is not quite up to LCHF as the article is written in 2007 and Keto I do not believe was the rage yet...
    On Exercise it does want the pre-requisite 30 min a day etc - But I have found and out of necessity that you can get great gains with shorter periods - really just start with a few minutes of running in place - it will move up - each morning now as I fight with the priming of my faulty espresso maker I run in place until it primes - which is an unknown time - so the espresso maker is my cardio coach - I have now also added lifting one dumbell while running in place - now I think I am doing a HIIT - which is High Intensity Interval Training - fancy me - the nice thing is the espresso does eventually prime and I get a nice reward..
    These little sessions, while measured on my wrist monitor (garmin) actually can assess intensity by what heart rate zones you enter and you can actually get more time credit for the intense zones - so my 150 min week has been no problem - and you start the day off right with some great glucose burning - which lasts well after the running stops.. these sessions range from 5 - 15 min.. depends on the espresso machine.

May be you have a way of sneaking in some quick cardio ? stairs at home? waiting to add softener ? I know I run around in those morning sessions cleaning up etc

cheers.
  • ben_100
    Options
    Interesting podcast with David Sinclair - he runs an anti-aging research center at Harvard Medical - is a molecular biologist -amazing accomplishments and we can expect that his work will help all mankind reach an extend lifespan of 120 yrs.. so I am only approaching mid age now I guess :)
    His advise - get your DNA checked for precursors - then work to avoid any nastiness before hand.
    His advise and what he does for lifestyle daily - Healthy whole foods, 16 hours Intermittent Fasting, 10 min cardio, quality rest.

Turns out when we place these types of adversities on our body - that our body reacts with its systems (hormones mostly) to do good things for our health, and it actually enhances and strengthens our systems

Podcast was the most recent on "Smartless" - Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes and Will Arnett have quests on and we all learn - and they can be humorous 2 boot
  • ben_100
    Options
    Good News / Bad News
    Bad News - in 'training' for a 5k on the Garmin Coach plan - I managed to injure myself - calf tear - so out of commission for a couple weeks..
    Good News - my BG monitor tells me that the results were 100% in range for the last week - a steady improvement with Diet change to LCHF, daily short stints of cardio, and now adding Intermittent Fasting - results even that surprised me, especially with an initial A1C reading of 11 and a Fasting BG of 14

So now the this experiment in Fasting will be front and centre as I have limited means to keep BG in check

So today I changed my BG monitor ranges (this is all behind my Doc's back ) and lowering them from ranges for Diabetics to Non-Diabetics - and looks like under this tighter tolerance I was only 50% in range...

Well makes sense - I do not think that the mass majority will actually be able to get 100% in range, as the study I read on continuous BG monitoring of 80 non-diabetics, measured with the pre-requisite lower normal A1C had a lot of them exceeding the normal ranges ( some up to 5 hours a day).

Now they would have been eating normally and I am eating to purposefully have a lower BG - so my situation is not directly comparable - so for a goal I will shoot for any improvement over this new baseline of 50% in range and see how it goes - secretly I am hoping the next week has a rise to 60% in range over the next week ...

cheers ( well cheers with a green tea)

• ben_100
    Options
    So some set backs with the calf tear -- weight is not coming off
    Changing to Non-diabetic range on BG monitor was very discouraging
    Fasting - easing into this, but finding my BG is high not only in the morning - which I thought was a morning natural high - but is staying there right into the afternoon... I think the stress I am working on relieving is elevating Cortisol and this is causing the insulin effect to be muted.

Solutions
    - changed the BG monitor back to diabetics ranges - so that is now less stressful to view the results - (can not believe how my mood/anxiety can be so based on the results)
    - added a dumbbell cardio exercise routine - will not make my 150 min intensity this week - but it does help to get the HR up for a period - it is required to do resistance exer as we age so time to start anyways - and no impact on the calf :)
    - contemplating donating blood this week - this is apparently ok for T2's to donate in Canada and I believe it will help flush my blood before I go in for that 2nd A1C ..
    I will have to really be careful I think with sugars in the period of time required to replace the red blood cells - several weeks...but it is an experiment - if I get skewed BG #'s I will have an excuse...
    will have to hold off a bit for that next A1C - so that I do not skew it too bad - need a fairly honest reading there - but it will give me more time to get back to the cardio and to lose weight... next Doc appointment is going to be crucial to get him online with my attempt to naturally reverse T2 - he will be keen on the blood panels..

well it is a plan
  • ben_100
    Options
    Have appointment booked tomorrow to donate blood..or what I am calling a redneck dialysis..
  • ben_100
    Options
    Starting regiment of daily dosage of CBD oil..
    Having poor daytime BG readings even while Fasting..evening BG numbers ar ok..believe it is only on work days..so believe this is cortisol impacting insulin .. CBD is shown to reduce.anxiety and stress..ie tame cortisol..so should work to improve insulin's abilities..
  • rfsatar
    Options
    You might enjoy joining the Low Carber Daily Forum group - there is a lot more interaction than you might find here - they have monthly logging threads and a wealth of information to cope with most people's approaches to managing their diabetes.
  • ben_100
    Options
    Thanks for the tip..
  • ben_100
    Options
    Tried a tip to help reduce Morning High BG levels - take 2 tablespoons of ACV before bedtime - it worked :)
  • ben_100
    Options
    Just applied to be a participant in our local university study on T2D for newly diagnosed individuals 40-75 yrs of age.. it is based on measuring and improving motivation for home exercise.. I hope I get selected.. they have consultants and assessments..I believe there will be continual glucose monitoring and heart rate monitoring into the cloud.. study is 6 months
  • ben_100
    Options
    Will have my zoom interview next week for this study..if interested in joining and meet the criteria you can start at this link.. Motivatet2d.com
  • ben_100
    Options
    Was successful in joining this study - personal trainer to set up exercise routine, wrist band to monitor exercise, blood pressure monitor, scale and glucose monitor ( 24 hrs monitoring ) to be provided - also like the fact that I have someone to answer to for completing the exercises - whip snap sound.. things start this week with the delivery to my door of the package, and first measurements next week - if you are interested and qualify you can still sign up - motivatet2d.com