March goals

Options
bebeisfit
bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
Holy smokes tomorrow is March 1st.

Any month long goals?

Name them and how you will achieve it. It doesn't have to be a weight loss goal. Perhaps an activity or trying a new vegetable or water consumption? No alchohol?

Replies

• bebeisfit
    Options
    I'm going to log all my food each day. And get out the food scale! I'll continue on with 5 intentional workouts a week.

My step goal is to increase my steps 10% more than I did in February.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    I'm cutting back on wine and trying to get to 175. Also not letting going back to f2f work keep me from continuing daily exercise and healthy eating.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I saw success in February (my Christmas gains are gone plus lost an additional pound) and intend to carry that momentum into March. Regular exercise and consistent logging have never been an issue for me. But the amount of food that goes in my mouth can easily destroy those efforts. I've felt in control these past two months. I'm back in the drivers seat and it feels good 🚘🏁
  • bebeisfit
    Options
    I saw success in February (my Christmas gains are gone plus lost an additional pound) and intend to carry that momentum into March. Regular exercise and consistent logging have never been an issue for me. But the amount of food that goes in my mouth can easily destroy those efforts. I've felt in control these past two months. I'm back in the drivers seat and it feels good 🚘🏁

That's awesome that you feel in control and have ditched the holiday pounds. I am striving for that again. I've got the exercise going, but the food is what gets me in trouble. Logging it all is always an eye opener. The key is to not wait and then see the damage. I had a run in with some candy yesterday and it screwed up my day. Now the candy is gone from the house and I'm planning a few fiber rich, but super tasty meals.
  • ridiculous59
    Options
    bebeisfit wrote: »

That's awesome that you feel in control and have ditched the holiday pounds. I am striving for that again. I've got the exercise going, but the food is what gets me in trouble. Logging it all is always an eye opener. The key is to not wait and then see the damage. I had a run in with some candy yesterday and it screwed up my day. Now the candy is gone from the house and I'm planning a few fiber rich, but super tasty meals.

I log my day in the morning while having my coffee because that's when I usually decide what we're having for dinner. Then I make minor adjustments later, if I need to. For me, at this stage of my weightloss, I find averaging out my calories over the week is a better tool. It helps me to ride out a bad day without the self-flagellation. I just have to suck it up on a couple of other days and my week is back in balance again.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I’m going to continue steering clear of sweet treats - even if they’re in my calorie allowance. Not sure why, but that’s the only change I’ve made and finally lost my holiday gain of 3.2 stubborn pounds.

On Feb 1, I was 120.0. Today, March 1, I’m 116.8. My original goal weight was 135 (from 147), but I kept going!

I probably should start recomping, but I’m neurotically hoping to see a “115” on the scale. I still feel a bit jiggly but I’m 56! Ugh!
  • blackburn23
    blackburn23 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Hi all! My March goal is to continue walking and to try to get to where I consistently hit 10000 steps a day. I have just started doing some strength exercises, so another goal is to keep those going and building on them.
  • laurasmith2277
    laurasmith2277 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just got started this week. My goal for March is to stay focused on my plan for weight loss.
  • southernmom3
    southernmom3 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    March goals for me. Work out five days a week. Be more active on the weekends without being at the gym. Drink more water. Log my food to be more consistent with my intake calories. Stay under 1200 calories a day. Aim for a four pound weight loss. Take my vitamins. Work on unpacking the remaining boxes from the move. Work on decluttering as I go.
  • ridiculous59
    Options
    Halfway through the month already! ☘

Cross country ski season will be done shortly which makes me sad as its my favourite form of exercise. I try and ski three or four times a week (I have great facilities about 10 minutes from my house). Yesterday was beautiful sunshine and the trails are still in decent shape. My dogs love it too so its definitely my "happy place". We'll go out again this afternoon 🙂

In a normal year I would go to spin class once skiing ended, and before I start running. But not this year 😭. I always re-start C25K in the spring so will just have to do that a bit earlier to replace spin classes. I would never ever say "Oh I just love spin class" or "Running is amazing". But I need to do some cardio exercise and I do love how I feel afterwards. I don't do much strength training over the winter months because skiing is such a good upper body workout too, so that means that I will now have to do intentional strength work. So my fitness routine will definitely be changing this month. I do yoga a couple of times a week and of course the dogs need "an outing" of some kind every day. 🐕

Foodwise is going okay. The scale is moving very slowly but at least its going in the right direction!!

How is your March going??

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    I'm soooo not a goal gal, so I was a little flummoxed about to put on this thread! We're finally getting some warmer weather here. (Michigan had a cold, snowy February, and I'm no longer a big outdoor Winter sports participant. Used to XC ski, but joints are iffy for that now, especially to go out solo, and none of my friends are XC skiers.)

So, with the weather change, I'm starting to do more outdoor walks near home. Winter is my lower-volume season for activity, generally, as on-water rowing is my big thing, and I do machine row but it isn't nearly as much fun. We may have warm enough water to feel safe later this month, but regardless it'll be pretty soon.

Mean time, it looks like I might be doing the Concept 2 Mud Season Madness challenge, if the aging body holds up. This is one of my least favorite challenges because it's so . . . inexorable? Inflexible? The idea is to do 5k on a C2 rowing machine or 10k on a C2 bike on at least 25 of the 31 days in March. That's not a huge amount of time (only half an hour-ish or so), but consistency and discipline are not my long suit, to say the least.

@ridiculous59, like you I used to do regular spin classes, in my case twice a week all year long, but don't feel ready to go back to that. So, my Winter splurge was a Concept 2 bike to add to the rowing machine at home. Both will sit mostly neglected in Summer, replaced by real boat and bike, but that's OK.

So far, so good, with the Challenge. I've been doing a 6 days on, 1 day off schedule. The "on" days alternate a 5k row or 10K bike (or a bit over), plus a cool-down. On the bike days, I've adding doing a 4-5 mile walk, if I like the weather (good so far). Most days (including the rest day) start off with about 20' of yoga and stretching. In total, this is a volume step-up from earlier in the Winter. I should and want to be adding in more strength and core, but that will come later (I hope 😉, we'll see).

I'm mostly maintaining weight, but have been keeping a tiny, tiny calorie deficit to (re-)lose a few vanity pounds super-slowly over the past year or so. At this point, I'm pretty close to ready to maintain maintain again. I lost from obese to healthy weight in 120s in 2015, and had crept up to mid/high 130s at 5'5" over around 4 years. My jeans were getting tight, and I hate to clothes shop! The same jeans are now loose (especially with the end of long underwear season!), I'm at around 125 pounds, and I'm not any more eager to shop, so will strive to hang out in this zone for a while.

I got my first Pfizer vaccine dose a couple of weeks ago, second dose scheduled for this coming Thursday, so I'm looking forward to that roll-out helping the community as a whole have a few more options at moderated risk, with some more time. (FWIW, zero side effects from dose 1, not even a sore arm.)

Lots of Spring bulbs popping up and into bloom in my yard, which always makes me happy. Hope y'all are having a good March, too!
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Options
    Hi. Last time I posted on a March I I was 116.8 - today I’m 115.4. I’ve been staying away from sweet treats even though I’ve been at the same calorie target.

@AnnPT77 - is there some form issue on the rower that would cause pain in the back of just one knee?
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    Hi. Last time I posted on a March I I was 116.8 - today I’m 115.4. I’ve been staying away from sweet treats even though I’ve been at the same calorie target.

@AnnPT77 - is there some form issue on the rower that would cause pain in the back of just one knee?

I can't think of anything that would be asymmetric, except for stuff that would be obvious to you (like a difference in right/left foot placement, overweighting/leaning to one side, or something like that).

It's certainly possible, though, to be a little more vulnerable to stress on one side vs. the other: One of my crummy knees is slightly worse (torn meniscus, arthritis), and I'll notice overload, technique problems, or the like via discomfort on that side sooner than the other.

One thing that could happen, that could increase stress on *both* knees, IMO (but maybe be felt more on one side if some pre-existing issue), would be letting the heels come up off the foot-stretcher plate at the catch (front end) in order to get shin vertical, then pushing off the drive from the toes or ball of the foot vs. being sure to get the heels down first and distribute the pressure over the mid-foot/whole-foot on the leg push part of the drive.

Getting shins *past* vertical at the catch might be a stressor, too, but I'm not flexible enough to do that! 😆

Since it's it's the back of the knee, you might also look at timing of the transition between leg push and body back-swing on the drive, to make sure you're not locking out your knees.

For the same reason, you might also look at how deep your layback is at the finish to check whether there could be overstress there, or as you transition from the finish through arms-away and to the forward body swing. I'm not sure what kind of rower you have, Concept 2 is what I'm most familiar with. There are straps for your feet, but you don't want to be using them either to catch your momentum/weight at the finish (which could jar your knees), or to pull yourself up from the layback (or to go back up the slide later, for that matter).

It should be possible to row smoothly without your feet strapped down, without a lot of power sacrifice. If you never do that, you might try it - slowly and cautiously at first! - to make sure you don't tip over backwards at the finish, or not be able to swing back up and then slide to return to the catch.

(We call this "rowing feet out" in case there are non-rowers reading, because in boats there are usually shoes attached to the boat rather than straps, so you do a similar drill in boats with your feet out of the shoes. The first time I rowed feet-out in a double with a collegiate rower, I fell over backwards into her lap on my first stroke! This is *not* good. Fortunately, though startled, she was nice about it.)

The forward body swing is a combination of momentum and core, IMO. Then the slide is passive, since the seat-rail is ever so slightly slanted: Gravity will take us back to the catch if relaxed, no need to put effort into the slide on the recovery, that's the mini-vacation. 😉 So, foot-straps are a backup safety device, kind of, not a central part of the power production.

Wish I had a more helpful answer - sorry!
  • southernmom3
    southernmom3 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Morning y’all. The temps here are cooler after the storms we had. It’s making it feel more like winter than spring here. Just thankful the bad storms and tornadoes missed us. I’m seeing the scale move more with me doing the 1200 calories instead of Keto. Going to stick with it and see where I get to the end of this month. Making lots of progress in the house. Got several boxes emptied and things put away or donated. Nice to see the pile of boxes being reduced. I’m going to get there. DS was in last night from college and commented on how much I’ve gotten done. Makes me happy. I’ve been trying to do things inside after dark and outside when it’s pretty. Four years of being gone means lots to catch up on. Making progress there while burning extra calories too. Win win. Hope everyone else is seeing progress with their goals for March.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Your response was extremely helpful - the knee that is “acting up” is one I had issues with years ago. Hmmm.

I do have a Concept 2 - and I think as a new rower, I’m rowing pretending I’m on an Olympic racing team. I need to go more slowly and power it down.

Thoughts for another post, but I’m finding that while it’s great that I’ve been more active since my late 40’s - doing things I never did before (strength training, rowing, etc) - I think my 56 year old body is trying to have a talk with me. Sometimes one sneeze during a deadlift is enough to cause a twitchy back!!! 😀

I’m days away from trying to find my old Jane Fonda video...
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Your response was extremely helpful - the knee that is “acting up” is one I had issues with years ago. Hmmm.

I do have a Concept 2 - and I think as a new rower, I’m rowing pretending I’m on an Olympic racing team. I need to go more slowly and power it down.

Thoughts for another post, but I’m finding that while it’s great that I’ve been more active since my late 40’s - doing things I never did before (strength training, rowing, etc) - I think my 56 year old body is trying to have a talk with me. Sometimes one sneeze during a deadlift is enough to cause a twitchy back!!! 😀

*Especially* at first as a new rower, I'd definitely urge you to go with a slow rating (strokes per minute) and focus on developing excellent technique. That's hard, when we have a new fitness toy, I get that. But in the case of rowing, which is on the technical side compared to a lot of exercise machines, it's an investment.

Good technique will tend to limit injury potential. Also, it's not unusual to find that machine-only rowers who've maybe short-cut technique will reach a point where they think they can't get a good workout from the machine. Without good technique, one can't apply real power, and get it into the flywheel, and getting that flywheel spinning is what makes the workout more challenging. Once poor technique is in muscle memory, it's harder to correct (ask me how I know this! 😬); easier to get it right up front.

(BTW, I hope you've realized that that 1-10 thingie (damper setting) on the side of the C2 *is not* "resistance" like in some other exercise machines; it's just a substitute for what we'd call "boat feel". You're not supposed to set it on 10 to get a hard workout. Women should set it somewhere 3-5, for general workout purposes. Even national team (Olympic) rowers do that (yes, I've known some). Us regular folks need not set higher, and if we do so it can increase injury risk. I set around 3, which is a drag factor around 100 +/-.)

Without good technique, people end up trying to get a good workout by setting the damper high, or going at a super-fast rating (strokes per minute in the 30s), because they can't get the flywheel spinning fast enough to make the workout challenging. With decent technique, one can get a *hard* workout at 14-16 strokes per minute, if one tries. I've done it.

I hope you're using the "how to row" videos and such on the C2 web site (https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/technique-videos), maybe videoing yourself to compare if possible, and that sort of thing. It's a worthwhile investment. Even some gym trainers do this poorly, so I'd go with good sources like C2, among others, as a checkpoint.

I'd suggest shooting for 18-20 spm for a while, lower is OK if you can sustain it smoothly, and give yourself time to monitor technique.

I'm still doing my base aerobic workouts in the 18-22 kind of range most of the time. I don't race anymore, but that training included more work at higher ratings, and then racing itself was up into the 30s spm. But the starting point is trying to get *strong* strokes at lower ratings through good technique (notice your meters per stroke). Then to reach faster paces, it's more about keeping that same good technique/strength, and just repeating it more times per minute.

Have fun!

P.S. Apologies for the essay; I could talk (or type) about rowing all day. 🙄
  • ridiculous59
    edited March 2021
    Options

Oh my goodness.....Jane Fonda videos!! I used her "Pregnancy and Recovery" video faithfully before and after my firstborn LOL
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    Well I made my goal of continuing exercise and healthy eating for March but didn't make it to 175....holding steady at 177. How did y'all do with goals?