Made it through my first 7 days! *sorry for the length*

Options
Nettabee
Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
I started low carb last Monday after being fed up of feeling out of shape, and having to start another around of knee injections and physical therapy. SEVERAL years ago while working at Duke with my mom I tried to follow Dr. Westman’s program with her. She lost 66lbs while I kept jumping off the train lol.

When I decided to give it another try, I gave myself time to prepare (enjoyed my favorite carb heavy foods and alcoholic drinks for about two weeks, then making sure I had my groceries for the first couple weeks planned out) before starting last week. Oddly enough this week went amazingly!

I use to be obsessive over weighing myself but I haven’t felt the need to yet. I haven’t had any terrible cravings so far and if there’s something I want (like Mexican food) I find better low carb alternatives easily. I’m even the one trying to keep my mom encouraged to stick with it as she’s been struggling this week lol.

I know there will be rough days ahead, but after unexpectedly losing my sweet sweet grandma in January, and then my aunt three weeks later, I felt like if I had no control over my grief or the process of feeling better faster, I could at least control what I eat and physically feel better. My birthday is 9 months from today and I’m really hopeful and excited to see the changes that will come if I can stick with it this time!

Replies

• Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Nettabee,

You came to a good place, thanks for sharing your story with us. 7 days is a great start, pretty good chance your now in ketosis. And you had a amazing week on top of it... Fantastic!

I hear you on the scales... I'm not sure how much you have to lose, but i feel the more one has to loose the less important the scale becomes. More important is just knowing what your eating fairly accurately so that you know in your own mind your doing the right thing and weight will come off. For me I haven't stepped on one this year, and I don't plan to consider it for I'm not sure how many months down the line. I suppose many of us even when doing really well, will put a number in our head were trying to see on that scale, and regardless of how well were doing, that number that shows up somehow ends making us feel we didn't quite measure up. (My fiance wants to see 5lb lost this coming Sunday for instance, but if she looses 4 is that not a reason to celebrate?)... Anyway you get the idea.

My condolences on the passing of your Grandma and your Aunt.

As for low carb... It's my really is my favorite way of eating. And I found many alternatives that scratch those itches and don't make me feel like I'm missing out. If you ever have any questions please feel free to ask away.

Looking forward to your success!
  • Nettabee
    Options
    Thank you so much Poobah!

My highest weight was 418 at the doctor's office couple weeks ago. I don't have a goal weight right now just an overall primary goal to get down to 220. Which I haven't been since middle school lol. I feel like I won't kniw My UGW until I 1) see how I feel and 2) see how my body transforms.

My first big goal is to lose 50lbs. Unt then I'm just taking it step by step! Last night after posting this I actually got triggered by a family member. It brought back all those desires to stuff my face with whatever "feel good food" I could find. But instead I finished off a salad, snacked on meats and cheeses, ate a fat bomb. I most definitely went over calories but I'm celebrating that I didn't go out for junk foods a sweets.

Little victories!
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Nettabee wrote: »
    Thank you so much Poobah!

My highest weight was 418 at the doctor's office couple weeks ago. I don't have a goal weight right now just an overall primary goal to get down to 220. Which I haven't been since middle school lol. I feel like I won't kniw My UGW until I 1) see how I feel and 2) see how my body transforms.

My first big goal is to lose 50lbs. Unt then I'm just taking it step by step! Last night after posting this I actually got triggered by a family member. It brought back all those desires to stuff my face with whatever "feel good food" I could find. But instead I finished off a salad, snacked on meats and cheeses, ate a fat bomb. I most definitely went over calories but I'm celebrating that I didn't go out for junk foods a sweets.

Little victories!

Actually that's a big Victory as far as I'm concerned. Dealing with Life stresses in a constructive manner is probably way on top of the list on how to live life the correct way. Seems silly to punish ourselves for other people pissing us off. But I know I did all the damn time.

So yeah, Congratulations...

I'm trying to focus on seeing the very far sighted view... Concentrate on the fact that I keep it up everyday, 2 years from now I WILL be a completely different person. Try to keep in mind food doesn't heal the hole in my heart, and well you get the idea.

Were in this for life I keep telling myself. :)

EDIT: I should add as a caveat just in case my fiancé finds me, A lot of my current motivation in part is because of her. Stress has largely departed from my life from a home stand point. I even cut out a very toxic friend a few years back. So Honey, in case your reading this, in no way did you stress me out. lol
  • Nettabee
    Options
    That is awesome advice and LOL if she does find you I think she would be touched!

Thanks again! This has helped a lot in improving my mood today!