No Appetite

Options
CrystalEssex
CrystalEssex Posts: 184 Member
Hey all. I started back on keto more strictly (tracking and getting around 5-6% (<20g) carbs a day) last Tuesday. Friday I suddenly started dying of thirst and I have had no appetite since. I have sticks but I haven't used them because I know I'm in ketosis.

The issue is I cannot eat. I actually grabbed a small handful of nuts (like 8-10 total, <1/8th cup) around lunch time because I started wanting something but food was still a little frozen waiting to thaw. I couldn't eat anything else and forced myself to eat dinner because my calories were so low.

I don't remember if I had this last time or how long it lasted.

Replies

• CrystalEssex
    Options
    I know appetite suppression is normal on keto, but I'm also wondering if it is worse at the beginning, or if I need to eat something I would normally eat for dinner that has a little more veggies so a little more carbs in the morning and save my highest fat meal for dinner so I am satisfied until lunch. Since my appetite is low, I may do intermittent fasting as well. I was going to wait a few weeks, but it looks like I should just go for it.

Any thoughts/recommendations
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    I know appetite suppression is normal on keto, but I'm also wondering if it is worse at the beginning, or if I need to eat something I would normally eat for dinner that has a little more veggies so a little more carbs in the morning and save my highest fat meal for dinner so I am satisfied until lunch. Since my appetite is low, I may do intermittent fasting as well. I was going to wait a few weeks, but it looks like I should just go for it.

Any thoughts/recommendations

It can be worse at the beginning or it can crop up later. It's perfectly fine to place your carbs wherever is best for you. The appetite suppression may chill a bit before too long. So try switching things around to see if that works for you. In any event unless the super suppression lingers too long or you start to feel badly or overly fatigued, I'd just wait for your body to suss these changes out. It usually does ease off after awhile.
  • CrystalEssex
    Options
    So I'm only getting like 500 calories a day, though. That's whats concerning. Ill ride it for some time and see how it goes. I feel great.

I'm going to go with IF and have a short eating window. Start with my salad and eat the bulk last? Maybe I won't be as full and will be able to get more calories in.

I am in moderate ketosis according to my strips.

• CrystalEssex
    Options
    The no cravings part is amazing. It's too easy 😆
  • baconslave
    Options
    So I'm only getting like 500 calories a day, though. That's whats concerning. Ill ride it for some time and see how it goes. I feel great.

I'm going to go with IF and have a short eating window. Start with my salad and eat the bulk last? Maybe I won't be as full and will be able to get more calories in.

I am in moderate ketosis according to my strips.

That plan sounds good. That level of appetite loss shouldn't last too long. But if you are concerned, sneaking more fat in could be a strategy since it is calorie-dense. More fat for cooking meat and veggies, high-fat/low-carb dairy, fatty sauces, fattier cuts of meat. Do your best. Hoping it will ease up on you soon. It's hard for me to advise as some folks find fat too satiating...that was never my problem. I found it ultra-yummy. I had to cut it down to keep calories reasonable. Eggs, fried in butter, covered in melted cheddar. Mayonnaise with some tuna in it. :delish: I've always been a very hungry caterpillar. :smirk:
  • CrystalEssex
    Options
    It's getting better. I find it is off and on now. I ate out today so I ate eggs, bacon, and a salad. 300 calories but I'm not hungry. I'm just enjoying it. Listening to hunger cues. My body will not let me starve lol. I feel great, so as long as I feel good, I'm not going to worry much. Thanks for the replies
  • celedegeorgio
    celedegeorgio Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Will weight still come off if not meeting calorie amount? I'm not even close to meeting calories.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Will weight still come off if not meeting calorie amount? I'm not even close to meeting calories.

Yep.
    Your appetite will likely come back once you get used to things. If it persists or you start feeling tired, eat a little less fat and more protein. That sometimes helps.