"This April I Will.." Newcomers Start Here

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,680 Member
    nebslp wrote: »
    This month I WILL be more present in the moment instead of thinking about the past or future. Meditate? Not sure of the details. I’ll try some things this week and see what works.

I have a suggestion, @nebslp, for a exercise that can help you stay focused in the present. It also helps during periods of worry and stress. It’s from Calm, the meditation app.

Try this:

Notice 5 things that you can see.
    Notice 4 things that you can feel.
    Notice 3 things that you can hear.
    Notice 2 things that you can smell.
    Notice 1 thing that you can taste.

For me, it’s been simple and effective!

This is a great practice. I have a kind of funny story about it. My daughter is having a stressful year, but part of that is sharing a small house with her parents. To make it harder, she and her dad have very similar personalities and get on one another’s nerves a LOT. To make it worse, they are the early risers in the family and so have a few extra hours to annoy each other. So, one morning when she was struggling to not get angry, she tried this practice. She noticed 5 things she could see and feel. Then the first thing she could hear was her dad peeing in the bathroom. The laugh really put her day back on course. 🤣
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,747 Member
    @77tes that is really too funny. Mostly when I listen I hear my Purple martins outside which always cheers me up.

Hope everyone is doing ok and @nebslp has survived her road trip?!!!

I am feeling better from the 2nd shot but I can tell my lymph nodes are really swollen. I had "vaguely" noticed it under my left arm about a week ago which was where I had the first shot in March but did not associate it with the vaccine until I read more. However with this one in my right I can actually feel it rubbing on my sports bra. So definitely plan to reschedule my mammogram and thyroid ultrasound. Bloodwork should be ok for my Endo visit but she will probably not be too happy about me not getting the ultrasound yet. But honestly who needs tests which show issues when if you wait a month or so everything is where is should be or if you do have issues you know it's NOT a result of a false immune reaction.

Summer

• 77tes
    @SummerSkier , oh I hope the swollen lymph nodes just mean that you’re going to have extra good immunity from Covid-19. I hope you are feeling better soon. I know you enjoy being really active.
  • SummerSkier
    @77tes I have heard it is common but a lot of folks might not even notice. I did not specifically notice with the first shot except a few times I vaguely thought that I might have a swelling under my left arm (where I got the first shot). Of course with the one in the right arm #2 I noticed almost immediately. Anyway, I was headachy and tired all day yesterday 3 days after but after sleeping a lot and taking some meds I do feel pretty good today. We shall see. It's interesting to see all the different reactions I guess but mostly I am so glad a lot of folks are getting it done. And I hope it works are advertised and we knock this virus on its but in the world. Because it needs to be world wide not just US.

As far as habits for April I dunno. I am mostly trying to keep up with where I am at. I am excited that I might get to look for new outfits tho if I go back to the office this year. I have been living in shorts and barn clothes. LOL.... If you had asked me a couple years ago if I would wear shorts to the grocery I would have looked at you cross eyed (my legs are pretty ugly even with running) but now I have no cares about it. LOL.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,875 Member
    April 1-10 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

I hope everyone’s doing well!
    Maddie
  • SummerSkier
    April 1-10 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

I hope everyone’s doing well!
    Maddie

Magnificent April Maddie!!! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼💪💪💪✅✅✅
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,209 Member
    I’m glad you like the counting exercise from Calm and @77tes, that a hilarious story about your daughter! I’ve used that exercise many times and it does help me stay anchored in the present.

Glad you are feeling better, @SummerSkier. I get my second Moderna shot in early May and I’m already anticipating that I’ll likely have a reaction. But I know I’ll be back on my feet in a day or two.

I have my first social gathering since the pandemic, a wedding, in late May. I hope I remember how to act in public!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Thank you Summer!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    4 hr hike (!)
    1,636’ climb
    19,000+ steps

Thrilled!!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,209 Member
    4 hr hike (!)
    1,636’ climb
    19,000+ steps

Thrilled!!

Wow! A terrific accomplishment, @MadisonMolly2017! But I bet your feet are suggesting a rest day today!
  • SummerSkier
    that's a CRAZY hike Maddie. The elevation alone is amazing. well done! And I hope you get a rest day today. LOL

As far as things to "get done" I have a HUGE list which needs addressing now that I will be fully vaccinated in another week. For each of the "chores" I also have a "treat" so for instance. last week I got the oil changed in my car. I had let it go a few weeks waiting till I was vaccinated as the place I have used for over 20 years none of them are wearing masks (God will protect them was what they told me... ok um). And I have my mammo and thyroid ultrasound scheduled and now I need to do my eye exam (over 2 years now!) etc... But interspersed with those I want to get my hair styled and trimmed, a massage, a mani/pedi etc.. So I am not going all crazy but I am trying to "feather" the good stuff with the other not so fun but needed stuff.

I have been headachey now pretty much off and on since my shot last Tuesday. Not total migraines but enough to be annoying and painful. I could blame it on the oak pollen which is horrible right now but I have never really been one for allergies. Perhaps it's a combo of the vaccine closing up my passages just enough that I am allergic at the moment. Today knock on wood I have only had one Vitamin Exedrin early this morning and I hope that perhaps a week in by tomorrow it will all be a dull memory.

I did have a visit with some friends who I have been wanting to see since January! Which was SO much fun. They are the same as me as far as vaccinated so getting hugs and interacting maskless with other people. OMG. I forget how nice it is to see expressions on faces.

Summercheckingin
  • SummerSkier
    @nebslp I am so glad you are enjoying your east coast Outer Banks holiday. Having grown up in Baltimore I am familiar with that location and it is beautiful in the spring. What are your fave trees and birds so far? Have a safe trip back later this week if you don't get a chance to check back in.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    4 hr hike (!)
    1,636’ climb
    19,000+ steps

Thrilled!!

Wow! A terrific accomplishment, @MadisonMolly2017! But I bet your feet are suggesting a rest day today!

Thank you @themedalist & @SummerSkier

Actually, that’s the amazing part. I’m just fine. Off for another normal 90 min walk today.

EVERY DAY apparently enables almost 3 times on special occasions LOL

@SummerSkier Re: car folks... on the hike in a county park that has one-way trails & legally requires masks......

...we crossed a large group of 30-somethings with a hike leader... AT LEAST 3 of them PluS the leader no mask- not even down under chin.

Realized it was a church group.

I should have said something about the LAW but honestly I just wanted to get ahead of them.

Glad you got to see your friends!!
  • 77tes
    Wowzers @MadisonMolly2017 that’s some hike! Grrr to folks who won’t wear masks.

I’m still not hitting all my goals, but I’m doing a bit of poetry every day, and really enjoying the poems I’m posting for poetry month. I’m finding some I’ve never read before and it’s great.

I’m teaching a short term class, so I haven’t decided on my monthly goals.

@SummerSkier those fun goals sound great! I wonder if I’ll ever get a haircut again 🤣 and as to color, snowy white is a color, isn’t it?

My April tracker so far:
    io82afb0q6ed.jpeg
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,657 Member
    @77tes great story! It made laugh also! I mostly hear a few birds outside. If not then the refrigerator or the washer running 😁. Great progress on your tracker!

@SummerSkier very wise decision to wait for your tests with your excellent immune responses! Feel 100% better soon 💐! "keeping up with where you're at" is a great goal, all things considered... you're doin' more than great!

Also I like how you are matching up getting "chores" finished with a special pampering "treats" . That is a great idea!

@themedalist yay for you having a wedding to go to soon! LOL I also wonder if I'd know how to act in public 😁🤪😋after I get vaccinated.

@nebslp your road trip sounds amazing!! With all the fun things that your are probably doing I wouldn't wonder that you needn't even think about a calmness exercise. The sound of the ocean is calming enough. Bottle some of that relaxation and bring it home with you 😉 .

@MadisonMolly2017 that is one super amazing hike! I hear you about those not wearing masks, especially where it is clearly marked as required. Ugggg 😷 .

AFTER I _start to heat my tea water_____
    I WILL __do upper body exercises with weights while the water is heating up____ Twice a day currently.

April 5: 🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️
    April 6: 🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️
    April 7: 🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️
    April 8: 🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️
    April 9: 🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️
    April 10: 🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️
    April 11: 🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️
    April 12: 🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️

🤠🌺
  • 77tes
    @texasgardnr what an awesome habit! Brilliant!
  • angelic843
    angelic843 Posts: 252 Member
    @77tes That is beautiful habit tracker!
  • 77tes
    angelic843 wrote: »
    @77tes That is beautiful habit tracker!

Thanks @angelica843
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,657 Member
    Thanks @77tes 🌼 !

AFTER I _start to heat my tea water_____
    I WILL __do upper body exercises with weights while the water is heating up____ Twice a day currently.

April 5: 🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️
    April 6: 🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️
    April 7: 🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️
    April 8: 🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️
    April 9: 🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️
    April 10: 🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️
    April 11: 🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️
    April 12: 🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️
    April 13: 🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️
    April 14: 🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️
    April 15: 🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️

🤠🌺