Living the Lifestyle 4/13/21

Options
newmantjn
newmantjn Posts: 125 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - newmantjn (Todd)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - Al_Howard

Today's Topic: Weigh in Frequency

How often do you weigh in? What do you think are the advantages or disadvantages from that?

Replies

• newmantjn
    newmantjn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I shoot for once a day.

For me the advantages are that it puts my mind in the right mode. - "Today, I will be mindful of what I eat and how I exercise, this is the start"
    I also like the data - for you factory guys - I get a run chart. I feel more data is better than less data.
    It helps me not freak out with a bad reading. If I go up a bunch for one day, I can chalk it up to water retention or whatever. I get another shot tomorrow.

On the downside
    If you get a bad day, you can't get upset (and I don't), but when I string together a couple bad days and I know I'm on program, it can get depressing.
    Maybe the 0.1 lb loss isn't super exciting. If you have a week of those and get 0.7, that's a little better.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,826 Member
    Options
    I’m a meeting member person, even though my meeting has gone away. I still weigh in at the same time every week (~5;PM on Wednesday) wearing what I would normally wear to a weigh-in, and that’s what I track as my official WW weight.

At the same time, I’m a data guy, and more information is always better than less. I do a daily “pre-shower” weigh-in after breakfast and exercise. I don’t consider it “official” in any way, and I don’t read much into it. I’ve concluded over time that when I have a bowel movement is more important to my daily weight than what I ate the night before. There are many, many reasons why a weight might go up or down from day to day. More than anything, though, it has helped me understand how my body processes food and what that means to my weight.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,213 Member
    Options
    I officially weigh in on Saturday. I may weigh in a couple of times in the morning prior to my shower, but that is it.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    I WI once a day, in the a.m., before eating or drinking, and without clothing to talked away the variables I can control. Todd mentioned some of the reasons, but here's my 2 biggest ones.

First, my weight bounces a lot, so if I WI once a week, and I'm up a pound after a stellar week, I'd be looking for what I did wrong, what changes I need to make, or at the least, I'd be discouraged. Daily WI might show that I was losing all week, my tracker would show I ate well, my habit list that I moved, so I would know, the gain was a blip, and would probably be gone tomorrow, no need to change anything.

And second, I can fool myself when I have a gain, "just a small increase", and it might take me a couple weeks to realize I have a problem. It's much quicker to see the problem when I track my daily WI in libra. And then the struggle is to respond! But at least I'm not sticking my head in the sand!
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,951 Member
    Options
    I'm a daily, pre-anything, weigher since 3/22/2010 at 333.2#.
    As @linmueller and @newmantjn said, it helps keep me in the game, when I don't like the number. That said, I did gain back over 20# a couple of years ago, and am STILL losing it.
    I have all me readings on yearly spreadsheets in Excel. I do go back sometimes, and try to mentally recreate the "losing" circumstances that were working.

• cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,869 Member
    Options
    Meeting weigh in is on Tuesday at around 8:30 AM. No food no coffee my standard weigh in clothes the same every week. However I weigh myself in our bathroom every day between 5 and 6 AM in my birthday suit of course. I have been doing that for so many years that it has just become part of the morning routine.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    Once a day first thing in the morning before coffee. I learned years ago to look at an average weight for the trends. I have used a 7 day moving average to see weight trends. A GOADie got me started using at least a 4 day moving average.
    Lately I have been lazy and not used an Excel spread sheet like Cindy but in my mind I look at the whole week and average in my mind.

Honestly as they use to say many folks are just a good morning poop away from goal but ya get my drift.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    linmueller wrote: »
    I WI once a day, in the a.m., before eating or drinking, and without clothing to talked away the variables I can control.

First, my weight bounces a lot, so if I WI once a week, and I'm up a pound after a stellar week, I'd be looking for what I did wrong, what changes I need to make, or at the least, I'd be discouraged. Daily WI might show that I was losing all week, my tracker would show I ate well, my habit list that I moved, so I would know, the gain was a blip, and would probably be gone tomorrow, no need to change anything.

Same here.