Podcast and App Reviews

Options
12346»

Replies

• caseyjarryn
    caseyjarryn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Zombies, Run! 5K, I just finished week 2 this morning. I'm looking forward to finishing the training and moving on to the main Zombies, Run app!
  • superraachel
    superraachel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found this thread! I started with the Zen Labs app for Android, but I found I couldn't hear the beeps/prompts to switch intervals over my music very well. I stuck it out till about week 3. I did like that it could connect to MFP and upload my data (which I could then edit to what my HRM calorie reading was).

Then I made the switch to a podcast when I got a new iPhone, and had to get new apps anyway. I randomly picked the running mate media 5K training (free). I liked the voice over. He was encouraging, and not annoying. The music is all techno based though, not really my scene.

After reading this thread, I decided to try the Chubby Jones podcasts. I love them. She's funny, the intervals she chimes in at are just right, and the music is sweet. It's pretty eclectic. I think I will stick with these until "graduation." I'm in Week 7 right now.

The drawbacks on switching to the podcast option are that it doesn't record data, sync or upload anything, but I figure I was editing my posts anyway, and right now I'm not all that focused on pace (just making sure I can run for 25 min straight without collapsing into a panting pile). The podcast is nice though because the prompts have more personality, new random music is always fun, and I'm not eating up my data while running if I pre-download them.
  • candoitkaren
    candoitkaren Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use C25K by zen labs.it has motivational quotes, exercise tips and was totally free. You can listen to your own music throughout the run. Downloaded on itunes.
  • poshtigress
    poshtigress Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Laura on the NHS couch to 5k podcast. She rocks!
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I found Chubby Jones podcast and will try that tonight. I was not using anything but a paper version telling how long to run. This will be better!
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    dstirratt wrote: »
    I found Chubby Jones podcast and will try that tonight. I was not using anything but a paper version telling how long to run. This will be better!

Thumbs up for Chubby Jones! Cool music. Outside of my normal selection but was fun!
  • Jte1130
    Jte1130 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just started with the C25K Free app. Just did my first day and it's ok. Although for some reason it doesn't seem to sync with MFP. Not sure if it's a glitch or because is the free version.

On the lookout for something different. Considering the Couch to 5K from Active Network for $1.99 on the iTunes App Store. Has anyone used this one?
  • maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have used Chubby Jones, Laura and Robert U podcast in the past but am currently using 5k101.com or MyRunningMate and it's by far my favorite. I didn't like Chubby Jones's music selection and Robert's was too techno. MyRunningMate is a nice middle ground with music that has a good beat but they aren't trendy songs and so far no vocals. I like it a lot. It's an 8 week program with optional extra weeks going from 4-5 and 7-8 if you choose to add a couple weeks on. I don't have a smartphone or ipod so cannot use a cool app with my own music. I had to find a podcast to use on my old ipod nano.
  • SooFab
    SooFab Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love the lolo 5k with Jeff Galloway app. It doesn't take you to fast for us beginners. But if your a vet then you can adjust accordingly. It lets you set your own running pace. And I love the beats technology that is added. It allows you to add a play list from your device and the beats per seconds adjust based on how fast your running to help you stay on track....That really does help a great deal. And don't worry if you don't have your own play list it has one you can use embedded in the App.

Also, it provides days off so that you don't over do it and Jeff Galloway guides you the entire time? Plus lolo has a bunch of other awesome apps. http://lolofit.com/apps
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Another vote for "Get Running", which I'm using on an iPhone 4s.
    If you're listening to stuff through the phone's iPod it gives you the choice of fading or pausing playback during messages (good for audio books which I prefer to music). It also works with the BBC iPlayer radio app, although the pause/fade doesn't. It doesn't eat battery, even on my knackered old phone.
    Two slight niggles:
    1. it tells you at the beginning of the session what the break-down will be (so those who "don't want to know" may want to choose another app)
    2. if you want to know what distance you've covered/speed, you'll need to run something else in the backgroud.
  • rnurse82
    rnurse82 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Question regarding Iphone and C25k by Zenlabs. I notice it will only voice prompt me if I have my screen OPEN. If it is locked the prompts are only displayed across the screen. Does anyone know why this is? Holding a phone and running is NOT fun! LOL Help!
  • CherieQ72
    CherieQ72 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    rnurse82 wrote: »
    Question regarding Iphone and C25k by Zenlabs. I notice it will only voice prompt me if I have my screen OPEN. If it is locked the prompts are only displayed across the screen. Does anyone know why this is? Holding a phone and running is NOT fun! LOL Help!

hmmm i have a samsung and i seem to remember changing something in the settings so that it will not stop on lock screen.... I agree! Holding anything while running BITES! lol
  • UmmZ
    UmmZ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use the zen labs10K Pro and Chubby Jones for the music and motivation, Mia is so awesome and always feel like I have a friend with me.
  • bozmo
    bozmo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Zombies run 5K. They modified it so you can listen to your own music or podcasts. More running than the original 5k or Chubby Jones. Entertaining. I can't wait to run again to listen to them.
  • LindsayGii
    LindsayGii Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Start Running is great. It talks over my music so I'm running to my own playlist. During each running interval it gives me countdowns each minute so I know how much longer I have to go. Been using for about a month and am running more each time and very optimistic about my 10k race in July ☺
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,542 Member
    Options
    For C25K the NHS programme really worked for me from pretty much a no exercise starting point. A good balance of occasional encouragement without being too interrupting. In the early stages 5 minutes seemed a very long time without a hint when actually that was just me struggling and hoping for the end of the run stage.
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    My favorite C25k app is the Zombies, Run! 5k trainer. it is an immersive story telling where you are a runner for a town called Abel and you are training before you start your new position. it plays your music in between the story clips. Zombies, Run! is the only reason I am a runner today. :smiley:
  • Itadakimasu7
    Itadakimasu7 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I feel the need to repost the Zombies, Run C25K recommendation. Running from zombies is my reason for running :+1::D