Your Journey

Options
fdeaver
fdeaver Posts: 6 Member
Please share- are you just starting? Have you been down this road for awhile? What tips do you have for others? What are your struggles?

Replies

• KitBinch
    KitBinch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been trying in fits and starts with weight loss and PCOS. After an illness that reduced how much I eat drastically 6 months ago and only losing maybe 2KG in that time it feels something really had to change.

Last Tuesday I went low-carb. I'm a crabby sad mess with it at the moment but I hope it will get better as I figure out what to cook and eat. The main struggle I have is full time work and multiple illnesses causing fatigue are making it difficult to prep.
  • fdeaver
    fdeaver Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How is it going for you now!?
  • serbgirl33
    serbgirl33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! I was diagnosed just under 2 years ago. This is the first major change I have made for me. I started keto a month ago. When I started I set a goal of being on for 2 weeks, then off it for a short time, primarily for social reasons (I'm a student away at University) and not fully committing (haha, my generation has commitment issues). But this agreement with myself made me start.
    My reason for choosing Keto for my PCOS was because of my dislike of "exercise", and when I was on a diet and exercise regiment, I wasn't seeing results. It was actually after a period of 1500cal and 3 high-intensity workouts per week, I entered a mild depression, gained 50 lbs in 8 months, and started experiencing the classic PCOS symptoms.
    I would say with Keto, you have to accept that you will not be able to eat the foods and recipes you used to. The first week, it was a constant recipe replacement and it just wasn't working. You have to find recipes that were designed for keto, keto recipes. My favourites are casseroles.
    Also, keto flu is hard, but you will get past it. I suggest using ketone test strips to keep your motivation up. At first, I wasn't sure if I was in ketosis and questions what am I doing this for, am I eating too many carbs? the test strips, although not the most accurate at lease let me know if I was in ketosis at all. saved me from quitting 3 times so far.

I have been eating keto for a total of 20 days, but not in a row. it's been three rounds. I'm down a solid 6 lbs, More than I lost over 2 months with standard "diet and exercise".

My struggles, non-keto food cravings, and social pressure. On campus, there are many opportunities for free pizza, takes so much strength for me to say no. Also, going out with friends for meals doesn't really happen.
  • mcgunnz
    mcgunnz Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this Serbgirl33! I have wondered about Keto as it is highly recommened for women with PCOS, but I've been hesitant, because of some of the unknowns. I like your suggestion about the Keto strips (anyone know where might I find those?), and around find keto recipes rather than trying to adapt old ones. I enjoy cooking and meal planning is a must, so this is a great thing to know.

While I'm much older (I'm 39 with a 6 month old and 3.5 yr old), I haven't forgotten how difficult it is to avoid all of the easily accessible, high calorie, low nutritional value of the food from my university days...not to mention the dinners out with friends and parties! Sounds like you're trying to find balance and that is great! Life is about balance. Keep.it.up, you've got this! I love sports...but am not a fan of exercise either so maybe this is for me? I think I'll give this keto thing a whirl! Thanks for the tips!
  • adipose_baby
    adipose_baby Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I have been dealing with PCOS and weigh issues for a long time. I've been on and off diets and I've have the most success with the Keto diet. It is very hard to maintain for me. I'm trying again fresh this year because the benefits are great! Not only do I loose weight faster, I feel more active and I feel happier. Not sure if that is due to "keto euphoria" or just being happy to loose weight. This time I would like to stay on track ad loose about 100 pounds. If anyone else is looking for support and motivation, feel free to add me as friend.

@mcgunnz You can find the keto strips in Amazon or Walmart
  • schmoo_08
    schmoo_08 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I’ve just started Keto, good luck guys and happy new year.
  • mcgunnz
    mcgunnz Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Just wanted to share with all of you that I have created a Pinterest Board of Keto recipes and information to help myself, that some of you may be interested in checking out. My username is McGunnz or you may be able to find me (Kristie Lawrence). I've been trying many of the recipes and have been having great success (despite not exercising). I made Fat Head Pizza for my family lastnight - it was a big hit!

Name: Kristie
    Starting weight: 204.6
    Goal weight: 150 lbs
    Current weight: 191.4 lbs
    Total weight lost to this point today: 13 lbs

JAN
    1/2 204.6 lbs
    1/9 197.6 lbs
    1/16 191.4 lbs

This weeks challenges: Managing to drop some lbs without exercise because of a foot and tailbone injury after a slip on the stairs 😫😭
    This weeks challenges: Integrate a greater variety of vegetables (on a budget) that are keto compliant.
  • courtster15
    courtster15 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I too have PCOS. I wouldn't say ive been doibg keto exactly because I'm not in ketosis. However I am doing a variation, low carb. For instance I will eat fruot such as apples. Ive also been giving myself a caloric deficits. Ive been walking on thw treadmill for 30 minutes everday for 8 days now. Ive lost 2lbs already! So excited