Feeling a little desperate:/ (Keto-pation)

Options
whitefamilysk
whitefamilysk Posts: 6 Member
edited April 2021 in Social Groups
Been keto for a month, losing weight and very happy with everything EXCEPT that my digestive system appears to have come to a grinding halt over the past 3 weeks. For the first week it worked a little too well but then it gradually stopped functioning and now it's been 5 days without relief. As you can probably tell, I hate discussing this subject but I am at the end of my rope:( I have read countless things online about how to help with this problem and tried them all (more fiber, more water, electrolytes, I eat a lot of keto friendly veggie, I exercise daily and have for over a year...) I need to know there is an answer for this because I don't want to stop keto but I don't know how much longer I can live like this:( I refuse to live on laxatives and I just want to function normally:(

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,652 Member
    Options
    https://www.ketoconnect.net/keto-constipation/

What helped me was to up my fat intake

I hope you get relief soon
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough magnesium. Natural Calm helps for restful sleep and also slow GI problems.
    https://verywellhealth.com/magnesium-for-constipation-and-ibsc-1944780
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    More water, and try chia seeds in water. I started last week using apple cider vinegar -- 2 tbsp in a quart of water, plus a tbsp of chia seeds. I sip that through the day till it is gone, and hey presto, my morning constipation has gone away! I think it is the extra water and chia together that does the trick.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Try eating full fat cottage cheese, sour cream, butter, cream cheese, fatty meats, and eggs fried in lots of butter. Try taking a lot of vitamin c and magnesium both of which too high of doses end in diarrhea.
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    @whitefamilysk

Common problem to happen to people first giving Keto a serious try. Your diary isn't public shared so it's hard to say for sure. But I'm willing to bet fiber is the number 1 reason, and water is also important. It's pretty difficult to hit fiber levels, unless you paying specific attention to it. The stricter your keto the harder it becomes. I've learned long ago, taking a heaping teaspoon of Metamucil (sugar free or Phylum husk powder if you want the least carbs possible) Definitely helps. I use to take one heaping spoon in the morning and another after supper too. But I'm at the point now, my food choices quite regularly hit 25 with out it any at all. So I'm fine just taking the one helping in the morning, may even be able to go without now? But there are other benefits to taking it, so I'm just going to continue to do so.

You should be aiming for 30 grams give or take of each day.

Next big cause for first timers (and second timers) is cheese. Yes cheese is great, and low carb. But that doesn't mean you can gorge on it. Been there done that. I still eat it mind you, just not every day... Sometimes only a .5 to 1 ounce a day. And then on the very odd occasion 2 ounces... Usually in the form of a cabbage lasagna, Keto pizza, or a stuffed bell pepper. Cheese will bung you up, if your over doing it (specially if your not hitting fiber goals).

Hope you get it solved soon! :)
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I was staying so constipated and a lady at the gym told me about how Dr Oz show told her about magnesium. I take one a day and have had no more problem. I get it at Krogers called Nature's Bounty Magnesium 400 mg gel caps. It has a green top. I have had no more problems. I was ready to give up eating low carb also but it has been 3 years so all is good. It really worked for me.