Trying to understand Anti Inflammatory Grains

Options
Maxima0388
Maxima0388 Posts: 20 Member
Anti Inflammatory Diet noted that....
Whole grains, beans and lentils for fiber and nutrients. Focus on intact whole grains such as oats, quinoa, farro and brown rice (to name a few) rather than loading up on foods made with whole grain flour, such as bread, tortillas and crackers. Although many anti-inflammatory diets claim that whole grains and pulses — beans, peas and lentils — increase inflammation, research shows otherwise. Pulses are high in fiber and magnesium, and magnesium has been shown to help reduce inflammation.

So these whole grains are ok?

Replies

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    If you are on a moderate or high carbs diet, I don’t see why you can’t have some of those. I personally don’t eat many grains, beans, or lentils with the exception of recently adding peanuts. If you want magnesium, I’d suggest supplements like magnesium chelates. I take Dr’s best magnesium glycinate. I have a list of anti-inflammatory foods but it’s a touchy subject because what inflames one person may not effect another. I’ll post it from my google docs.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    Anti-Inflammatory Foods
    Ginger
    Broccoli
    Green Tea
    Nuts
    Blueberries
    Pineapple
    Spinach
    Beets
    Broth
    Olives
    Tomatoes
    Chia Seeds
    Salmon
    Cocoa
    Berries
    Oily Fish
    Walnuts
    Turmeric
    Garlic
    Coconut oil
    Mackerel
    Almonds
    Tuna
    Sardines
    Cherries
    Oranges
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    I also think meat and eggs are anti-inflammatory from being a carnivore.
  • Maxima0388
    Options
    If you are on a moderate or high carbs diet, I don’t see why you can’t have some of those. I personally don’t eat many grains, beans, or lentils with the exception of recently adding peanuts. If you want magnesium, I’d suggest supplements like magnesium chelates. I take Dr’s best magnesium glycinate. I have a list of anti-inflammatory foods but it’s a touchy subject because what inflames one person may not effect another. I’ll post it from my google docs.

• Maxima0388
    Options
    I have been taking a magnesium supplement, so that should be good. I’m actually on a low carb focused intake. I’m struggling getting enough protein and carbs daily.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    I get protein from steaks and eggs, also kielbasa and pork sausage. I get my carbs from berries, brewer’s yeast, milk, apples, and tomatoes
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Maxima0388 wrote: »
    Anti Inflammatory Diet noted that....
    Whole grains, beans and lentils for fiber and nutrients. Focus on intact whole grains such as oats, quinoa, farro and brown rice (to name a few) rather than loading up on foods made with whole grain flour, such as bread, tortillas and crackers. Although many anti-inflammatory diets claim that whole grains and pulses — beans, peas and lentils — increase inflammation, research shows otherwise. Pulses are high in fiber and magnesium, and magnesium has been shown to help reduce inflammation.

So these whole grains are ok?

What kind of inflammation are we discussing? Right now it's more of a buzz phrase than a topic based on metabolic panels. Are we talking high CRP? Also, there are several types of inflammation?

The biggest things that would improve systemic inflammation is weight loss and exercise. But overall, a diet high in fiber (which can include whole grains, legumes and oats) and high in unsaturated fats tend to be correlated to anti inflammatory.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    Fiber doesn’t matter much if you eat plenty of saturated fat. Cutting out added sugars, seed oils, and grains is anti-inflammatory. I’d say whole grains are still bad for you. Legumes have a lot of anti-nutrients and can give you digestive issues.
  • psuLemon
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Fiber doesn’t matter much if you eat plenty of saturated fat. Cutting out added sugars, seed oils, and grains is anti-inflammatory. I’d say whole grains are still bad for you. Legumes have a lot of anti-nutrients and can give you digestive issues.

Can you provide any meta analysis or RCTs showing a beneficial effect for SFA? At least with grains, there is mixed evidence.. several meta analysis supoort the consumption of grains as an anti inflammatory. But even in the mixed evidence, there is zero evidence saying grains are bad. The worse is they are neutral. And there is strong evidence on the benefits of fiber.

Advising SFA over fiber is a poor recommendation and goes against scientific evidence.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
    Just a preemptive reminder that disagreeing is fine as long as it's civilly done. (And also I saw this gif and I had to use it somewhere.) :joy:
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Can you provide any meta analysis or RCTs showing a beneficial effect for SFA? At least with grains, there is mixed evidence.. several meta analysis supoort the consumption of grains as an anti inflammatory. But even in the mixed evidence, there is zero evidence saying grains are bad. The worse is they are neutral. And there is strong evidence on the benefits of fiber.

Advising SFA over fiber is a poor recommendation and goes against scientific evidence.

https://bmj.com/content/346/bmj.e8707

https://bmj.com/content/bmj/353/bmj.i1246.full.pdf

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2166702/pdf/brmedj02398-0041.pdf

Grains are a poor recommendation for a diabetic where meats and eggs are health giving, muscle feeding foods. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence by carnivores and low carbers that cutting out the grains made a world of difference. Fiber causes digestive issues and can actually cause constipation. You need to rethink your love of studies.

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435786/

• psuLemon
    Options

https://bmj.com/content/346/bmj.e8707

https://bmj.com/content/bmj/353/bmj.i1246.full.pdf

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2166702/pdf/brmedj02398-0041.pdf

Grains are a poor recommendation for a diabetic where meats and eggs are health giving, muscle feeding foods. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence by carnivores and low carbers that cutting out the grains made a world of difference. Fiber causes digestive issues and can actually cause constipation. You need to rethink your love of studies.

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435786/

First, the OP only noted that she was on an anti inflammatory diet. If she is diabetic, i would agree a diet free of grains and/or lower carb would be beneficial.

Second, your first three links all replace sfa with crappy high omega 6 corn oil. I would ask where are you going with that. We all know highly concentrated Omega 6 oils are unhealthy. Not new science. You are better off with olive (especially as a dressing) or avocado due to the high smoke point.

Third, none of these provide support that SFA, especially in high quantities is healthy. None of these support replacing fiber with SFA as beneficial. I fail to see your point.

And lastly, your last link is evaluating IBS-C patients. There is strong evidence that IBS-C patients benefits from low fiber diets. But unless the OP has IBS-C, than the application isn't there.

Anecdotal evidence is weak. You have other cofounding variables such as weight loss, improved food quality (common with new dieters) and exercise. I can find all thise benefits with new vegans/plant based dieters, paleo, keto, etc...

Fiber has strong associations with anti inflammatory unless SFA. There are multiple meta analyses to support this. There are zero meta analyses supporting the recommendation of increasing SFA.

https://academic.oup.com/advances/article/4/1/16/4591560

Overall, a person should prioritize weight loss and exercise as part of the regime. As a whole, that is the most significant impact on metabolic health.

Since the OP is following low carb, i would focus on low gi fruits, avocado, dark leafy greens, lean proteins, dairy, seeds, and seafood, especially fatty fish.

If the OP is dealing with systemic inflammation, recommending increasing SFA is poor in my opinion. There isn't evidence to support it. There is like zero evidence (outside of anecdotes) on carnivore. But we don't have to debate that.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    giphy.gif
    Just a preemptive reminder that disagreeing is fine as long as it's civilly done. (And also I saw this gif and I had to use it somewhere.) :joy:

Its like you don't even know me 🤣.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    I've always disagreed with you. I'm all about the carnivore lifestyle so I will promote it. I believe saturated fats are the best for the body. I'm not a big fan of the Mediterranean diet because it lacks fatty meat.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I've always disagreed with you. I'm all about the carnivore lifestyle so I will promote it. I believe saturated fats are the best for the body. I'm not a big fan of the Mediterranean diet because it lacks fatty meat.

You can disagree with me and that is fine. But my recommendations are based on evidence not a personal belief from following a diet. Your recommendations are based on personal belief and your experience. That is a potential risk you can take. Telling someone else to follow your prescribed diet and follow your beliefs could lead to worse health. And even the newer data on a diet high in SFA shows worst outcomes. So are you really willing to play with someone elses health?

And from my own personal experience: when I moved from very fatty meats (outside of occasionally) and full fat dairy, to leaner meats, more seafood, higher fiber and low fat diary, my metabolic numbers improved. And i am a huge meat eater.... Like almost every meal. By doing so, my LDL dropped 50 points, increased my HDL by 5 points and my triglycerides didn't move as they were already around 40. And this was with only a 5 lb difference over a year period.
  • baconslave
    Options

baconslave wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Its like you don't even know me 🤣.

Oh I do but I also know others on here just as well. :wink:
    I'm defensive driver. What can I say? :smirk:
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    You play with people's health thinking your evidence is so great. Where was this new data showing SFA shows worst outcomes? And as for fiber, like you said there is little evidence on no fiber, meat diets besides the studies in "The Fat of the Land" and possible upcoming studies. I don't think a lot of fiber is good for you, especially from grains, it's more beneficial to be getting more fat and protein for your muscles. I do like raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries and they has some fiber which seems to be helping me wake up earlier. I think that might also be from eating some raw foods or semi-raw foods like berries and rare steak.
    https://sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/12/161202094340.htm
    Well your numbers were already good and can fluctuate some and could just be from the seafood, which most is very nutrient dense. How long did you try fatty meats and full fat dairy because your body can take a while to get used to them. They say your numbers can be a little messed up for the first six months to a year when you start the diet. Lower triglycerides are really what matter. I'm not too concerned with high cholesterol because health outcomes can actually be better with a little higher cholesterol.
    https://sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/06/160627095006.htm
  • TheDevastator
    edited May 2021
    Options
    You can ignore me if you want but all that evidence doctors have is based on loose studies of diet asking what people ate days, weeks, months, and/or years before. There are a lot of variables in diet. It would be inhumane to have human studies of a diet in isolation besides eating meat and eggs because they are so nutrient dense. Most of your studies are rat studies and who gives a rat's *kitten* about rat studies. So you are playing with people's health promoting fiber all the time. I've studied health for a good 10 years and my current diet is based on those conclusions. I know there is a lot of misleading information but I've found out what works for me. Low carb and carnivore work long term.
  • baconslave
    Options
    You can ignore me if you want but all that evidence doctors have is based on loose studies of diet asking what people ate days, weeks, months, and/or years before. There are a lot of variables in diet. It would be inhumane to have human studies of a diet in isolation besides eating meat and eggs because they are so nutrient dense. Most of your studies are rat studies and who gives a rat's *kitten* about rat studies. So you are playing with people's health promoting fiber all the time. I've studied health for a good 10 years and my current diet is based on those conclusions. I know there is a lot of misleading information but I've found out what works for me. Low carb and carnivore work long term.

Being so confrontational is not necessary.
    Psulemon isn't obligated to answer you. He hasn't responded likely because he felt it was easier to agree to disagree.
    This thread was for the OP's information. We won't hijack it any further. I believe they've been given enough information to make their decision.
    I'm closing the thread.
This discussion has been closed.