Living the Lifestyle: Thursday, 06/03/2021

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,195 Member
edited June 2021 in Social Groups
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday -Crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – 88olds
Wednesday -
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday -

Today's Topic: Feet

One of the issues I am facing is the stress weight has placed on my feet over the years. The devil is demanding pay after years of abuse. I have plantar fasciitis in my left foot, as well. I wear inserts, and I often wear a boot to keep my tendons stretched in my left foot. But, honestly, the best thing I can do for myself is to lose the weight.

How about you? Do your feet remind you how badly you've treated them over the years. ;-)

Replies

• DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,837 Member
    Options
    My feet, my knees, my hips, my back - all reminded me, constantly, that I was overloading them. Thankfully, I lost 60 lbs. and eased the suffering. I gradually drifted back up, some over the last few years and - surprise! - they started giving me more issues again. I lost 20 lbs. since November '20, and thinks are back in balance.

To be honest, my knee, hip and foot issues stem as much from my 24 years in the Army and the abuse those demands caused as much as weight. Losing weight, however, has definitely kept things from getting much worse.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,854 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    More with my knees and more recently though my thigh / hip (tendonitis)
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Actually, my feet are in generally good shape. I do get very mild discomfort in the ball of my foot here and there, but overall, nothing too major.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,921 Member
    Options
    2 knee replacements, perscription insoles for my shoes, and spinal stenosis which is twisting into scoliotis. Really slows me down. Hit my step goal of 6000 most days, with a few to 7-8K. It's work, but worth it.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I have narrow feet and slightly short feet for my height, IMO. I also have hip dysplasia that has caused arthritis. All this to say that foot comfort is very important to me. I refuse to wear uncomfortable shoes for great lengths of time. I found a brand of "comfort" shoes a few years ago that fit my skinny feet really well. They're expensive, but offer the option of replacing the foot bed which extends their life.

A friend mentioned that she uses "yoga toes" every night for about 30 minutes. I'm going to look into this as a preventive measure.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    My feet are a problem. I don’t have a podiatrist, I have a team of podiatrists. The current lineup is the south Florida crew. They’ve replaced the Chicago group. Hard to say how much I’ve spent with on inserts and special shoes. I also have a substantial collection of bad feet gadgets.

But none of it will stop me from playing Pickleball. Pass the ibuprofen.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Pass the ibuprofen.

Been there, done that - don’t touch my ibuprofen!

My feet are fine (so far); it’s my knees that have been the issue. That doctor that told me at age 25 that if I didn’t lose weight I was going to have joint problems in 25-30 years? He’d be glad I proved him right, I suspect.