Its baaack...my appetite that is

I had vsg almost 22 months ago. I am one of the lucky few who never had a single stall along the way and actually lost 25 pounds below my goal! I've been maintaining fairly easily up until the last month or so. My appetite seems to be back with a vengeance. Maybe the ghrelin hormone regenerates around this time? Maybe I'm just bored? Oddly enough, it seems to have returned right after I had COVID... not sure if there is a correlation or not. In any case. I have not regained anything significant -maybe 1-2 pounds. I never topped logging my food, but now I'm not going over my daily calories as often as I was able to before. If being strict is what is going to keep me slim and healthy, than that is what I will do. Please feel free to tell me any tips or tricks to keeping my head in the right space now that this has became a challenge for me. Thanks for listening!

Replies

• HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    I’m not sure what works, besides what you are already doing! But I know when my appetite really came back I gained 18 lbs before I caught it! So good job catching it quickly :)
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    @bettisboy Feel free to friend me.

Congratulations on 22 months out. 1- 2 pound bounce is not significant. You are doing great. Checking in for support helps. When I'm struggling you will see me posting more often.

How do you maintain without being too strict or to lax? Find a style that works for you. Sound's like logging your food is working. *smile*
    HUNGER
    What works for me may not work for you. Some things to try

I give myself a weight bounce range to work up and down the scale. I don't want to let a smaller gain turn into a large gain.

Real hunger, head hunger, stress eating or boredom eating. I still have to have to keep these things in check.

I eat dense proteins. Keeps me more satisfied then shakes or soft foods

I eat as much veggies with a meal until full. The bulk and fiber fills my extra sleeve space and keeps my calories low.

I keep healthy options on hand for sweet, salty and spicy cravings.

I still avoid extra carbs and real sugar. I will have them on vacation or within reason. If I gain weight, I detox off them and go back into bariatric basic food plan.

Hope all is well. Check in when you can.

• Jessica12877
    Jessica12877 Posts: 29 Member
    Thanks for the responses. Definitely some good tips. I especially like "I eat as much veggies with a meal until full. The bulk and fiber fills my extra sleeve space and keeps my calories low".
  • azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    bettisboy wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses. Definitely some good tips. I especially like "I eat as much veggies with a meal until full. The bulk and fiber fills my extra sleeve space and keeps my calories low".

thank you for the post. I am looking to have surgery possibly late summer, and have started the process. Knowing you can not only achieve your goal but actually exceed it is very encouraging for me. What would you say was the most difficult part? I'm concerned my hubby may not totally understand the food challenges I will face while he keeps eating the way he does. :) he loves me, though, and is very supportive of this whole process. I'm hoping it helps him make a few healthier choices.
  • HLaR79
    I’m sure everyone faces different challanges! I for sure struggled with meeting the wants of my family while meeting the needs of my new life style, especially during the starting stages when diet is more restricted!
    My other big challenge was being bored with my choices, which I combated by learning how to cook new things!
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    @azalea4175 Difficult part for me was learning the first stages and changing my relationship with food. All of this felt unnatural at first, Now its just habit. Take things one food stage at a time. Get solid in the bariatric basics (Log food, eat your food plan, hit your protein goal, exercise/activity, and hydrate)

My hubby has been supportive.

I learned that I don't have to make myself a separate meal. I cook meat/proteins and a side of veggies. I give my family bread, rice or pasta with a meal. Don't laugh, I asked him to hide/ take to work foods that are my weakness.

I hope you get a surgery date soon. :)
  • azalea4175
    @fit_chickx the meal plan you talk about above is what I am doing now. i have lost 40# in the last year so I have been already changing my relationship with food. I joined an online group on FB run by a health coach (certified) and have learned how to manage my food relationship. I am doing MUCH better now than I was, and recognize it is probably a life long learning activity. I am still kind of on the fence about surgery. My thoughts are if I could do a 2 week liquid diet prior to surgery why couldn't I do that 2 days per week and keep to my current 1500-1700 calorie days (no added sugar, minimal carbs, etc) and keep losing? I struggle with this. Any insight is welcome! I also have GERD and have heard the surgeries can make it worse. Part of my discussion with the surgeon no doubt.
  • Jessica12877
    Hello, Just giving an update. I'm happy to report that since my initial post almost three months ago, I have not gained an ounce. I'm a little active (mostly walking, and tennis once a week), I make decent food choices (but still have chocolate every day and alcohol on weekends), and log everything that goes in my mouth. So far so good!
  • azalea4175
    bettisboy wrote: »
    Hello, Just giving an update. I'm happy to report that since my initial post almost three months ago, I have not gained an ounce. I'm a little active (mostly walking, and tennis once a week), I make decent food choices (but still have chocolate every day and alcohol on weekends), and log everything that goes in my mouth. So far so good!

that's great to hear. I haven't done the surgery yet, but it will probably be within the next couple months. :)
  • HLaR79
    azalea4175 wrote: »
    @fit_chickx the meal plan you talk about above is what I am doing now. i have lost 40# in the last year so I have been already changing my relationship with food. I joined an online group on FB run by a health coach (certified) and have learned how to manage my food relationship. I am doing MUCH better now than I was, and recognize it is probably a life long learning activity. I am still kind of on the fence about surgery. My thoughts are if I could do a 2 week liquid diet prior to surgery why couldn't I do that 2 days per week and keep to my current 1500-1700 calorie days (no added sugar, minimal carbs, etc) and keep losing? I struggle with this. Any insight is welcome! I also have GERD and have heard the surgeries can make it worse. Part of my discussion with the surgeon no doubt.

Maybe I said this once but myself and another person I am close to had such sever GERD we both had the roux en y bi pass. In the past 3 years I have only had heart burn twice, and the other person whose GERD was way worse then mine has minimal heart burn only a few times a month now!
  • Fattleass
    Fattleass Posts: 223 Member
    having surgery on the 8th of July but I am worried cause I do love food any pointer
  • azalea4175
    i have my surgeons consult first week of August. Nervous and excited all in one. Any support anyone can provide is appreciated!! how do I take care of the incision sites?
  • azalea4175
    Fattleass wrote: »
    having surgery on the 8th of July but I am worried cause I do love food any pointer

good luck to you - I am thinking about 6 weeks from now I'll have mine!
  • HLaR79

Follow your post op diet, you can really hurt yourself if you don’t!!!

azalea4175 wrote: »
    i have my surgeons consult first week of August. Nervous and excited all in one. Any support anyone can provide is appreciated!! how do I take care of the incision sites?

Most often it is a laparoscopic surgery so only a few small cuts! I had zero stitches so that helped just had tape for a week, and some mild bruising on the outside! But you’ve still had major surgery in the inside so listen to the doctor and don’t try to rush the food or you can hurt your new formed tummy!

• Fattleass
    Made it through but but having hard time drinking enough liquids
  • HLaR79

So glad you made it! Yes it can be hard to drink enough in the first few weeks, I found different temperature drinks some were easier then others!! You should be about 10 days out now hopefully that’s gotten better!!!
  • Fattleass
    edited July 2021
    HLaR79 wrote: »

So glad you made it! Yes it can be hard to drink enough in the first few weeks, I found different temperature drinks some were easier then others!! You should be about 10 days out now hopefully that’s gotten better!!!

Yes I am doing much better only up to about800 calories with 80 grams of protein just making sure get enough liquids
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,672 Member
    edited August 2021
    @bettisboy Are carbs a trigger for you? I lost 175 pounds but gained 30-50# back a couple times. The way I stop the cravings is by reducing carbs, and increasing protein and oil (but the good versions: olive oil instead of butter; fish/poultry/nuts instead of red meat).

I'm currently at goal again, and craving free. It's such a relief.

68 yrs old; 5'8.5" 150# female / had sleeve in 2013

Best wishes!

These are my new shoes :)
    nkh7gk82t47o.jpg
  • HLaR79
    @PaulaKro, wow it’s been a long time since I’ve seen you on here :)
  • Jessica12877
    Hello! Another update. Its now been 15 months since my original post. Still have not gained anything significant. Im 2-3 pounds heavier than I was last year at this time. Today is my 1012th day in a row logging which I beleive is 90% of my maintnance succcess. Wishing you all the best on your weight loss and maintnance paths!