RNY 12/23/19

Options
kphelan03
kphelan03 Posts: 3 Member
New to the group and looking forward to vonnecting with some like-minded people. Fell off the wagon for awhile but back on track and feeling great!

Replies

• azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    about 3/4 of the way through the prequal process, finished my nutritionists appointments, left is the psych eval (3 hours, really?) and surgeons visit. What is the best and worst experiences anyone has had after surgery? I'm still kind of on the fence. I am thinking if I could discipline myself to a 2 week liquid diet pre surgery, why couldn't I do that 2 days per week and keep to my regular 1500-1700 calories the other days would I still need the surgery? I am conflicted. any advice?

I have lost 40# in the last year and am feeling better.
  • SuzieQ789
    SuzieQ789 Posts: 8 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    azalea4175 wrote: »
    about 3/4 of the way through the prequal process, finished my nutritionists appointments, left is the psych eval (3 hours, really?) and surgeons visit. What is the best and worst experiences anyone has had after surgery? I'm still kind of on the fence. I am thinking if I could discipline myself to a 2 week liquid diet pre surgery, why couldn't I do that 2 days per week and keep to my regular 1500-1700 calories the other days would I still need the surgery? I am conflicted. any advice?

I have lost 40# in the last year and am feeling better.

Only you can make that decision. I was not able to maintain a healthy-eating lifestyle, even though I tried for decades! I would lose, then turn right around and regain. Because weight loss became much more difficult as I aged, and because I started on blood pressure and diabetes meds, I was encouraged by my doctor to have weight-loss surgery (I was 54 at the time of surgery). I do not regret my decision, even though it has been a struggle at times! But, the decision is yours alone.

So, this is my journey:
    I am 9 years post-RNY surgery. I have been a yo-yo dieter since I was 10 years old. I have lost and regained hundreds of pounds over the past 50+ years (I am 63). I decided to have gastric bypass surgery as a last resort. From presurgery diet to one year post-surgery, I went from 294 to 150 pounds (I am 5’8”). I went off my blood pressure and diabetes meds. BUT, it was not easy. During the first six weeks post-surgery, I had horrendous, constant nausea. I thought I would go out of my mind! This is not normal - just me. I also developed a stricture, where the stomach opening narrows so much that food cannot enter the stomach. It is easily corrected endoscopically. A few months later, this happened again. After that, everything has been fine.

During the next 8 years, I gradually gained about 5 pounds a year. I became lax with my meals, eating far too many calories by “grazing”. I recently went back on the presurgery diet of two meals of protein drinks, and one small, sensible meal, and have lost some of that extra weight. I have 25 pounds to go - and I have learned a lot about what works and doesn’t work for me. I will go back to more regular meals when I feel that I have my eating under control.

Some foods give me problems, even after 9 years. I still cannot eat spaghetti, or any other long noodle - they come right back up! 😳
    I can’t tolerate rice, fried food, ice cream, and super sweet or rich foods. These all produce “dumping”.
    I CAN eat bread and cookies- which I now avoid because they are my downfall.

What it all comes down to is - be ready to make a permanent change in your relationship with food. It seems easy during the “honeymoon” period, but can be a real challenge, physically and mentally, once you realize that this is for life.

Do I regret having the surgery? NO, because I believe it saved my life, or at least added quality years. I am off all meds, I can do things I wasn’t able to do before, and I feel so much better about myself. My mental and emotional health have improved, along with my physical health.

I apologize for such a long post, and I truly did I not intend to scare anyone considering weight-loss surgery. I’m just sharing my journey, which may be different from the next person’s journey. Whatever you decide, be at peace with it.

Best wishes,
    Sue

• ItsOnlyChocolate
    ItsOnlyChocolate Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had sleeve surgery 11/4/19-At first it was rocky because I had residuals from the anesthesia (chronic projectile vomiting) as well as not being able to hold anything other than sips of water/broth for more than 90 days. I gradually increased to a normal diet by 5 months. Now I can eat pretty much whatever I like, which is a problem because I do.

Since the pandemic, after having good weight loss, I regained 20 pounds. I take full responsibility because I returned to my food cravings. This caused my knee problems to flare up, and so I have returned to MFP to help me get out of my stall and continue to lose weight. My daughter-in-law has been a great help, because she has been taking me to different parks to walk for exercise.

I don't regret my surgery for one minute, despite the problems in the beginning. I was 3 points away from being diabetic, and now that is gone and I don't want that risk again. I don't want to stretch out my stomach (which I am afraid of); wish there was a way to go backwards.
  • azalea4175
    Options
    Suzy53015 wrote: »

thank you for the detailed explanation. I didn't realize there may be foods I just cannot eat after the surgery, that is good information to have. I have tried everything else and nothing seems to work. I have learned that food has NOTHING to do with hunger for me, so i have had to relearn hunger and satiety cues and have spent the last 2 years working on the "brain" portion of eating. I appreciate your candor and help.

• HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    azalea4175 wrote: »
    Suzy53015 wrote: »

thank you for the detailed explanation. I didn't realize there may be foods I just cannot eat after the surgery, that is good information to have. I have tried everything else and nothing seems to work. I have learned that food has NOTHING to do with hunger for me, so i have had to relearn hunger and satiety cues and have spent the last 2 years working on the "brain" portion of eating. I appreciate your candor and help.

depending on your surgery type there is for sure some foods you won’t be able to tolerate and this varies from person to person!
    I cannot eat ice cream at all (but can eat low fat frozen yogurt), I also cannot have most pasta and rice, but occasionally have a few tablespoons of it! I can eat popcorn though lots of people or struggle with it! So it really is just how your body heals! Foods that are harder to digest and higher in fat tend to give trouble along with dry foods!
  • azalea4175
    Options
    HLaR79 wrote: »
    depending on your surgery type there is for sure some foods you won’t be able to tolerate and this varies from person to person!
    I cannot eat ice cream at all (but can eat low fat frozen yogurt), I also cannot have most pasta and rice, but occasionally have a few tablespoons of it! I can eat popcorn though lots of people or struggle with it! So it really is just how your body heals! Foods that are harder to digest and higher in fat tend to give trouble along with dry foods!

I had my gall bladder out a few years back and high fat foods give me issues, so I'm familiar with that. I do love rice but could deal with only a little, and I love popcorn! My biggest hurdle is sugar. I think I am a sugar junkie, and I KNOW I won't be able to eat high sugar items after. I'm planning on that being the catalyst to help get rid of sugar. I am working on it now and some days are really good and some are really not.