The Rainbow Bridge and saying goodbye

CoachFrenchie
CoachFrenchie Posts: 135 Member
After reading posts, I notice some of us have had the difficult decision to have to say goodbye to our best friends....I thought maybe we could have a special place here to pay homage to them. Everytime I held one of mine while they were cossing the Rainbow Bridge I left a piece of my heart behind.
To all people on here who are still mourning? A huge hug.
Nathalie ❤️

Replies

• Ketch_22
    Ketch_22 Posts: 12,708 Member
    It's very hard to lose a beloved furry friend .... <3 I lost Trixie (Lady Calvert) last year very sad time. She is 11 in this pic and lived to be 13

4wbyfn899uu8.png
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,915 Member
    I lost my 1st German Shepherd Alexis at the age of 13...in December of 2017.... She grew up with my daughter ... it was my daughter's 1st death ..oh boy that was really hard to see her sooo upset ...
  • CoachFrenchie
    m1m5gpqv2rtd.png

When I speak of the Rainbow Bridge it is because of this poem. Many of you might know it....Everytime I had to say bye to one my cats or dogs, I always whisper "save me a spot"...
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    We've only had to put one dog down. He was 8, but had a tumor/growth below his stomach. He was a yellow Dudley lab.
    We have 4 dogs now. Daisy is already 12. I'm hoping we get to keep her for a while. I don't think she knows she's old.
  • saltysparkle
    saltysparkle Posts: 145 Member
    I had this realization yesterday that I will be screwed when my Daisy dies and that I should probably try to proactively come up with a plan for what to do when that happens. I mean, it will be bad enough that I'm bereft, but she's also the one who gets me up every morning for a walk. Without her to get me up, will I even get up? And if I do, how will I walk without her? I don't think I'd be able to, for a while. You wouldn't mind, be we only found her a year ago and she's about 10 yrs old, by the vets' best guesses. For a beagle, that's not as old as for some other breeds, but she was clearly neglected before and has had health issues as a result that may well have shortened her time with us. So, we're trying to make the most out of our time with her, and just hoping it's longer rather than shorter. But yeah, I need a plan, because if my plan is to get up and walk alone without her? That's just a recipe for disaster.

Do any of you who have lost your furry family members feel like you handled the transition particularly well with regard to your workouts? I'm imagining you all felt some variation of how I will feel, but did it impact your weight loss and fitness, or did you work around it somehow?
  • Ccricfo
    Ccricfo Posts: 156 Member
    My dog Darwin is still very much with me, but got injured in a dog park accident and is on very restrictive exercise. I am used to walking with him for up to an hour every morning, and walking alone is very strange. I keep noticing landmarks along the way where he would do certain things (leaving that up to everyone's imagination) and it seems strangely unreal without him. He is making steady improvement, so hopefully this is temporary.
  • CoachFrenchie
    I got Shadow my GSD because my 2 other dogs are very old....one is 16. I know it is selfish, but I can not face not having a dog in the house. For me they are family...
  • icanhike
    icanhike Posts: 6 Member
    Summit (white) was my baby boy, and a super athlete. I miss him every day. But now I have Kelso to get me outside 6zb5d1cyh81d.jpg
    ea86hvz024u8.jpg
    cwc2s33mg94u.jpg
    and walking!
  • saltysparkle
    saltysparkle Posts: 145 Member
    I'm so sorry for your loss, and wish you many fun adventures with your new friend!
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 231 Member
    💚