COVID shuttered my former dojang permanently.

Options
JJordon
JJordon Posts: 857 Member
edited June 2021 in Social Groups
So, prior to the pandemic, I had finally ranked up to 4th kyu in Tangsoodo.

Unfortunately, its prolonged forced closing, caused the dojang to shutter permanently and for a time left me without a place to train.

I ended up moving, buying a home finally, settling down with my fiancee.

Finally set up my dream home gym, as well.

Once that was finished, I looked around and the only dojos and dojang nearby for my schedule were a Shito-Ryu, Shotokan, Wado-Ryu, American / Tracy Kenpo, & WTF Taekwondo.

I ended up at the Shotokan place, starting over at the Mukyu / Jyuukyu / 10th kyu ranking, but it's schedule is insanely flexible and cheap private lessons as well, again on my variable schedule.

Also, I know much of the basics, just the Korean / TSD version, <I still C-step, but trying to break that habit, maybe>, so perhaps it won't be as long to progress forward.

However, just wanted to have a moment for all the schools that had to close for whatever reason they had to during the worldwide pandemic.

I hope you're all doing well.

Replies

• Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that your dojang had to close. Luckily mine is still going strong, although the training varies depending on the current pandemic climate. We have just moved to zoom classes and outdoor training again for the 3rd wave

I changed styles too, but not because of covid. I had only just reached 1st Dan in the previous style and so going to a very similar style (both Goju Ryu, just different lineages) I progressed quite quickly. But that said, I still have habits from the old style I struggle to break.

I hope you are happy in your new path.
  • TheGuardian
    TheGuardian Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's very unfortunate! There are a couple of towns near me that no longer have a single dojo or even MMA/Boxing studio. No martial arts whatsoever. I hope that, as things loosen up, someone might step in to fill that void.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    It forced the facility I taught in to close as well.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    COVID has decimated the MA industry, for sure. A close group of friends that I train with.. their org went from 5 schools to 1. It has been brutal to watch.