Resources and Products

Options
TwistedSassette
TwistedSassette Posts: 8,728 Member
Share below any products or resources that you've found!

Replies

• TwistedSassette
    Options
    I have my private health insurance through Medibank, and they have an app called Live Better, where you can perform healthy tasks to earn rewards points, and those points can be redeemed for things like reduced premiums, wearable trackers (Apple Watches, Fitbits etc), headphones, or vouchers for their partners (like Amcal chemist, or Brooks running shoes, or OnSport who sell all kinds of fitness gear and merchandise).
    I just redeemed a voucher this morning for OnSport, and bought myself an adjustable kettlebell and a netball that my sister and I can take to the local courts for some activity!
    If you're a Medibank member, I'd totally recommend signing up!
  • stortina
    stortina Posts: 37 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Recently discovered some food products at Woollies that are low cal and wanted to share:

1. Lowest calorie dip I can find, SSS Foods Hommus, 25 g = 31 calories
    2. Bickfords - Diet Lime Cordial, 50 ml = 4 calories, this is enough to flavour a 1.5L bottle of water
    3. Woolworths brand 50% lower carb high protein pizza base. Comes in a pack of two, 1 base = 270 calories. It's the lowest calorie pizza I could find!!!
    4. Farmers Union Greek Style Protein Yoghurt - 150g = 93 calories
    5. Aeroplane "Jelly Lite" - when prepared, half the entire jelly is only 14 calories

I'd love to hear about any other Aussie supermarket suggestions from the other members of this group - what is something you swear by that's super low calorie?
  • TwistedSassette
    Options
    Oh I so wish we had a Woolies or Coles here! The nearest ones are 300km away so it’s a choice of two IGAs for us - both owned by the same company! 🤦🏼‍♀️ There are a lot of products we just can’t get and the fresh produce is…less than average most of the time.

I sometimes drink Cottees “no sugar added” cordial (I like fruit cup flavour) when I’m just not feeling like plain water. It’s super low calorie but tastes like the real thing.
    For a snack, I sometimes have a small can of baked beans - I don’t tend to eat enough legumes and they have a great hit of protein and fibre. I prefer the SPC brand for flavour & texture, bonus is they’re Aussie made.
    I also like the Forme yoghurts - a whole tub (160g I think) is only around 66 calories and they’re low fat.

Thanks for sharing your finds! I will definitely have to check out the pizza bases next time I’m at a Woolies and have the car fridge. I sometimes make pizzas using a Helga’s wrap as a base which tastes good and is fairly low calorie as well!
  • stortina
    Options
    Hey Christie, goodness :o you must be very rural to be 300kms to a Woolworths!
    Do you get "Mountain Bread"? they are the best - 71 calories per wrap, much lower than the Helgas wraps and they last heaps longer too.
    I'm not personally a fan of baked beans, but do love legumes. I can send you my favourite Italian Soup recipe if you're interested and can source a tin of lentils - it's super low calorie too.
  • TwistedSassette
    Options
    Hahahha yeah we're out between Dubbo and Broken Hill so quite rural!
    We do get mountain bread here, I'll have to try some - thanks! Would also love to try the recipe if you don't mind sharing!
  • stortina
    edited August 2021
    Options
    My Italian lentil soup recipe as follows - highly recommended, good for the heart and soul, especially if it's only 4º!!! I've just written it out off the top of my head, so do let me know if you have any questions.

Fry equal amounts of chopped celery and carrot in big pot with a little olive oil, a chopped onion, a couple of cloves of crushed garlic, add a little chilli too if you like. Fry until soft. This is called a 'soffrito'.
    Add a tin of chopped tomatoes, 4-5 cups of veg or chicken stock, and a teaspoon of any herbs you have on hand - oregano and/or basil are good if you have them.
    If you are using dried green or brown lentils, wash and add 1 cup. You will need to simmer with the lid on for about 45 mins to soften them.
    Add half a cup of some small pasta and/or rice and simmer with the lid on until the pasta/rice has softened but is still bitey and has about 5 minutes left to cook.
    If you are using tinned lentils, rinse them off and add them now.
    Rinse off a tin of mixed beans (5 bean mix etc.) or even just a tin of cannellini (white) beans and add to the pot with a big handful of chopped spinach. Simmer for another 5 mins to heat through and the pasta/rice is ready.
    Taste it now, and only add salt and pepper to the pot at this stage - the amount you need will vary based on how salty the stock was and how long you cooked the soup for.
    I like to serve it with a bit of parmesan cheese on top and some buttered toast on the side.
    If you skip the toast, it should only be about 300 calories per bowl, and will 100% fill you up for dinner.

I hope you enjoy it!!