August 29

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @bradkcrew - Congrats on feeling strong enough to attempt a 5k the very next day after running your first 10k! Most people have trouble just getting up to walk the next day.

As for calories, sadly it's not that simple. My advice there is just keep training at a safe level.

One thing that might be worth remembering is that your cardio and muscles don't get stronger, better, faster from exercise, but from the rest and recovery after the exercise.
  • _JeffreyD_
    _JeffreyD_ Posts: 1,836 Member
    Options
    Another planned pass day.
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,108 Member
    Options
    August 29

Excellent day today:
    ✅ Tracking
    ✅ Under calories
    ✅ Exercise - In addition to my extended puppy walk today (have finally mastered the harness system), I did two hours of gardening, the most strenuous of which was the clear out and clean up. Massive sunflowers stalks pulled and broken down into the composter (heads are in the bird feeder), clear out of the mildewed cucumber patch, weeding, and cutting back the shrubs. It looks so much better. I expect that my arms will be sore tomorrow. 😐

I have used two pass days this month and fully intend to be in the winners’ circle!

This experience has been so helpful to this newbie. Thank you for all your help, insights, and encouragement.

But the burning question is — did they have your favourite flavour this week this week @Mrs_Hoffer ? I hope so!

• ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,157 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? ✅ 12 minutes yoga and two walks totaling 107 minutes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? ✅
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? ✅

Pass days used 2/3
    Will be hitting up that winner's circle for sure :)

@Mrs_Hoffer the concept of the ice cream walk is SO fun to me and this would totally motivate me too. Firstly just because I LOVE covering long distances on foot.. and the fact you said you take your spoon and eat on your way back just makes me smile.
  • Healthymumlife
    Healthymumlife Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Exercise yes walking
    Calories yes
    Tracked yes
    470ncpdjmkp3.jpeg
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    Options
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? yes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? yes
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? yes
    • Treadmill: 35 mins / 2.02 mi
    • Pool (light exercise)
    Passes used: 3/3
    Apple rings closed: 29/31
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,033 Member
    Options
    Aug 29
    Did it!
    ✅☑️✔️❤️💪🏻
    Cut calories about 400 from where I’d been
    Sodium low again
    Ditto sugar
    3 meals & one snack (with pills) ie no other snacking
    Hiked hills 10,754 steps
    Tracked all
    Slept 8 hrs, no trouble getting to sleep

I plan to be in the Winner’s Circle @Mrs_Hoffer! 2️⃣ Days to go!!!
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,755 Member
    Options
    Forgot to post before I went to bed last night, but it's a pass day.
    I got the exercise done - including a bike ride with my 6 year old grandson.
    Didn't worry about trying to estimate dinner, we were eating in a restaurant.
    Well done to all those going into the Winner's circle!
  • Chinkiri
    Chinkiri Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Having fun in London, great seeing my kids after all this time! Doing lots of walking, but it's impossible to count or record calories.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,215 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Mrs_Hoffer wrote: »
    @TerriRichardson112 that's the whole point! I don't ever eat back my exercise calories - EXCEPT on my 11-mile ice cream walk! I burn off 900+ calories so that I can eat a pint of the Rebel brand Keto triple chocolate ice cream!! (600 calories!)

A pint of ice cream !?!?!? 😦😧🤢
    I couldn't eat a pint of ice cream even if I wanted to. All that fat and sugar would have me climbing the walls and/or writhing in agony.

Horses for courses 😂 😂 😂 Each to their own taste.
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    @bradkcrew kudos to you for even attempting a 5k the day after your 10k run! I can't even imagine! 🏃🏻‍♀️🏃🏻‍♂️💨

@jamcnewman YES!! they had my favorite flavor! There's nothing like walking 5.5miles to find that the store is sold out of MY FAVORITE FLAVOR!!! 😠😒😡🗯

@ForLangston Yay!! You have done well this month - congrats!! Consistency is the key!! :smile:

@ashleycarole86 Thanks! I've always LOVED walking! 10 years ago or so I got it in my head that I wanted to try to walk the AT (Appalachian Trail). I was working at the time, so my plan was to walk a portion of it over my summer vacation (2 wks) every summer and see how far I could get! For for vacation one year, DH and I decided to go to NC and we tried to walk a portion of it on a couple of "day trips". It absolutely KILLED my knees! And I got altitude sickness. Ugh. By the next summer, I'd lost almost 50 lbs, and we tried again (we went to Maine this time). I really thought that taking that much weight off would really help with the knee problem - but it did not. 😟😞😢

I enjoy reading about people who "walk across America" or walk Route 66 from Chicago to Calif..... stuff like that! If I was 20-30 years younger, I think I'd love to give that a try! I can walk flat surfaces, or even hills - I just really struggle to climb mountains with these knees! :smile:
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    @Healthymumlife Love the picture!!

@seilidhe You are definitely a CHAMPION! :wink:

@Geneveremfp Huge kudos to you for your consistency. It's a small % of newbies that make it to the end of their first month - especially once they've use up their 4 passes... I think you've done a FABULOUS job this month!! :smile:

@lesdarts180 awesome day, bike-riding with your grandson! :smile:

@Chinkiri It thrills my heart that you're able to spend time with your family after so long! Enjoy!!!!

Congrats on another 3 YES day:
    @RangerRickL
    @znaoiec
    @clutterqueen
    @bradkcrew
    @JTreasures
    @jamcnewman
    @ForLangston
    @ashleycarole86
    @healthymumlf
    @Geneveremfp
    @LazyBlondeChef
    @MadisonMolly2017
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,255 Member
    Options
    @Mrs_Hoffer - I smile every time you mention your ice cream walk. As for the AT, I have a friend who set out to do the whole thing this year. He trained for a couple months, walking every day at a local state park with his pack. However, he had to stop after about half way. He hasn’t said exactly why he made that decision, he just told me he was unprepared for the constant up and down, that the trail was rarely flat and the constant climbing and descending took a toll on him. He was thin when he left, he looks emaciated now.

@Healthymumlife - what a beautiful picture. I assume that’s a bike/walking trail?

3 yeses for me, although I fell out of the habit of counting freggies. I’ll pick that back up today. I always think I eat a lot but when I started counting I realized it doesn’t amount t9 as much as I thought.

Pass days: 3/3
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @Mrs_Hoffer the concept of the ice cream walk is SO fun to me and this would totally motivate me too. Firstly just because I LOVE covering long distances on foot.. and the fact you said you take your spoon and eat on your way back just makes me smile.
    Same here. I've even been thinking about how to do an #icecreamwalk myself (seems like a viral hashtag if I've ever seen one).

I can only walk in the very early hours on the weekends because of the kids, and don't regularly have any crazy long afternoon walks during the week. So I'm not sure that I can do it quite the proper justice in taking my spoon and eating on the return (that mental imagery alone is awesome). But I really love this concept and am working on finding some solution.

I only learned just yesterday that keto ice cream is a thing, that I could actually eat and fit in my macros. Obviously I have not even browsed the ice cream aisle for a long time (not to mentionhave been eating very clean). So it also seems like I'm trying to fit something weird in. But looking it up, it seems quite clean-ish and geared for me. So there's no reason to not try it in my book!
  • readyornot1234
    readyornot1234 Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

@chinkiri - i am so happy you got to finally see your kids!!!!! 😎😎😎

Saturday, August 28

Tracking: Yes
    Calories: under
    Exercise: Yes, dancing - 3 plus hours

Pass days to date - 6

Sunday, August 29

Tracking: Only in my head
    Calories: definitely
    Exercise: No. was away for weekend and in car all day.

Pass days to date - 7
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Sorry all.
    I did what I shouldn't and checked out of MFP while on vacation. On the plus side, I only gained about 3 lbs.
    Not quite back into the swing, but easing into it and should be back on my daily routine for September.

Started out tracking well yesterday, but did not exercise and then had some extra bites that I didn't track and put me over calories late night.