Drink Calories

Options
trishalong84
trishalong84 Posts: 27 Member
I have been struggling with changing my mind set that now it is OK and actually encouraged to drink my calories. I feel like I have been on some sort of a diet my entire life and one of the main points drilled in my head is DO NOT DRINK YOUR CALORIES. I used to skip meals when I was a teenager and would drink lots of diet pop. Over the years I have weaned myself off anything carbonated, fruit juices, energy drinks and drink water or vegetable juices. I have tried many of the protein drinks and finally settled on the Premier Protein brand, but for the life of me, I cannot seem to be satisfied with a protein drink as a meal. I do get full, but my head keeps telling me I'm hungry and I think it's from so many years of convincing myself to not drink my calories. Can anyone relate? I typically have a protein shake as snack around 3pm, and this helps me feel full and not eat much for dinner, but I wish I could have a protein shake for breakfast or lunch and feel satisfied. Any thoughts?

Replies

• elleykat
    elleykat Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Can you try chewing on some ice so you get the "chewing" motion that your brain is used to as a signal that you're eating? I'm pre-op, but I have the same issue currently with soup as a meal. I didn't chew anything, so even though I'm physically not hungry my brain is going "but you didn't EAT anything!" Sometimws I even "chew" my mouthful of soup, even though it's already liquid, haha. It helps me trick my brain, so maybe worth a try at least!!
  • slowerbutqwik
    slowerbutqwik Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    There are so many "head games" to work through after surgery, and probably the rest of our lives! Throwing away uneaten food, small portions, seeing ourselves as thin.
    Ive heard this don't drink calorie difficulty before in our local support group. But, remember, our bodies process food and liquid differently after surgery. If you're having trouble getting your protein without a protein shake, then I would remind yourself of that everyday your drinking it. Maybe add some bulk to it like whey or PBfit peanut butter powder. Even top athletes do protein shakes. I drink mine in the morning, it really helps even my blood sugar.
  • trishalong84
    trishalong84 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I do drink my protein shakes, and they make me feel full, but it doesn't stay with me. Even if my tummy feels full, my head is like OK, where's the food??? I like the idea of trying to bulk up my drink....maybe add a banana or ice chips and make a smoothie rather than drink It from the carton. Wish me luck!
  • slowerbutqwik
    Options
    Please let us know how it goes!
  • spangadora
    spangadora Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Making a smoothie with Banana and ice... Maybe some peanut butter powder... With the protein shake sounds like a great idea! I hope it helps you if you try it. I think I'll give that a try myself.
  • spangadora
    Options
    So I finally remembered to get bananas! This morning I blended my premier chocolate shake with some ice and a banana and wow is it yummy!

• slowerbutqwik
    Options
    spangadora wrote: »
    So I finally remembered to get bananas! This morning I blended my premier chocolate shake with some ice and a banana and wow is it yummy!

I haven't tried blending a banana. I am going to try that! Do you put protein powder in as well?
  • elleykat
    elleykat Posts: 75 Member
    Options

YUM, now I wanna try that with banana I the chocolate peanut butter shake... Sounds like dessert to me!!
  • spangadora
    Options

I haven't tried blending a banana. I am going to try that! Do you put protein powder in as well?

Just the 14oz chocolate and a whole banana with 5 ice cubes. Sooooo good!
  • krisbradley08
    krisbradley08 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Question for you all. I'm pre op and start my liquid diet this week(9/1/2021) I know protien shakes, broth, some soups, jello, those are ok. My list says smoothies but it's not very clear on the consistency or if I should not use things with seeds, like berries. I'm going to ask the nutritionist on Thursday, but last time I asked she just said we would talk more at pre op. Any tips you know for prep for surgery the next 3 weeks would be appreciated. I'm glad I found all of you it is making me happy to know thier are others who support each other in this scary but good journey. Thank you.
  • slowerbutqwik
    Options
    Question for you all. I'm pre op and start my liquid diet this week(9/1/2021) I know protien shakes, broth, some soups, jello, those are ok. My list says smoothies but it's not very clear on the consistency or if I should not use things with seeds, like berries. I'm going to ask the nutritionist on Thursday, but last time I asked she just said we would talk more at pre op. Any tips you know for prep for surgery the next 3 weeks would be appreciated. I'm glad I found all of you it is making me happy to know thier are others who support each other in this scary but good journey. Thank you.

My pre-op liquid diet wasn't clear liquids. It was 2 protein shakes and sensible dinner. But Dr's diets vary. My clear liquid did not start until post op and I drank Premier with no mix ins.
  • Awesomewow
    Awesomewow Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Can anyone relate? I typically have a protein shake as snack around 3pm, and this helps me feel full and not eat much for dinner, but I wish I could have a protein shake for breakfast or lunch
    Oh I can! I am at the point now where I drink a shake for lunch, but it is much more satisfying if I have some carrots or something with it! I am still presurgery and I have always wanted to be able to drink a meal replacement. I tried SlimFast years ago and it made my blood sugar do crazy things. Once I finally read the labels, I understand why! They have more sugar than protien! Not helpful!