September 4

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    My tracking history is so inconsistent. But one thing has been consistent, when I track my food intake to hit nutritional goals I see consistently good results. When I don't track, I get inconsistent (often bad) results.

Long details in spoiler
    I lost 96 pounds between January and November 2014 (from morbidly obese at 316 pounds and 40.6 BMI to overweight at 220 pounds and 28.2 BMI). I was tracking during that entire time.

I maintained that "overweight" status (actually gaining 10-15 pounds) for two more years through June 2016 when I ran a bunch of half marathons and full marathons. I was still tracking but had to eat to fuel my body for the running, so I basically sacrificed further weight loss to keep running at such volume. Truth be told, I really wanted to eat under calories, but was simply too hungry to do so, and also felt I underperformed without keeping calories at maintenance. I would have easily overeaten and gained weight during this period without tracking. Tracking kept my diet clean and let me keep my weight where it was.

When an injury stopped my running in 2016 I also stopped tracking because that running hunger stuck around for a while and I was ashamed at my daily numbers while I kept on eating and eating. I didn't want other people on MFP to see how over I was going on calories, let alone hold myself to account, so I "hid it". That cost me as I gained back over 60 pounds.

When I tried in March 2017 to get my weight back in control and make a return to running I was back to obese at 292 pounds with a BMI of 27.5. I literally tried to run the weight off using a training plan to quickly get back to half marathon distances. Between March and June after running 3 half marathons I had only lost 10 pounds. There was one thing I was not doing...tracking.

Due to perceived difficulty running which I attributed to strength (yeah, I had blinders on, obviously), I shifted to a strength program that also used a low carb primal diet to quickly build core and lower body strength. To follow that diet and hit my macros I had to start tracking. Suddenly I started losing weight at a faster pace, and I decided to stick with that for a while since it was working. My weight loss was offset somewhat by muscle gains, but I was having a good time with it, which was the important thing.

By 2018 I stopped tracking and just kept with the weight routines...until I stopped that too.

Now I'm here, again, and have lost 63 pounds since March 8, 2021 when I started tracking and exercising again. This time focused on losing all the weight and focusing on really just that. Not letting the running or strength or anything else get in the way (yet still doing those things to help speed the weight loss). Then I want to learn how to do maintenance, which apparently also involves tracking (no surprise to me at this point).

I think one of the big lessons I have taken away from these experiences is that trying to manage nutritional health without tracking is like driving without being able to see.
  • mshawski
    mshawski Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    @bradkcrew - good luck tomorrow! You got this! 🙌🏻
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    Aug 4:
    ✅ ✅ ✅

Exercise was walking 40 mins tonight with 2 of my grandchildren so their dad and grandpa could watch college football!
  • JTreasures
    JTreasures Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Yes x 3
  • donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 3,030 Member
    Options
    @biketheworld @lesdarts180 @TerriRichardson112 and @genevermfp i can relate to all ur comments. I am a big eater and love my food so tracking is the only way I can know how to stay under my calorie threshold. Picking at food/grazing wen im cooking and my sugar intake are 2 areas I'm currently trying to strengthen. All my grandparents and my bro hve diabetes and I'm a massive sweet tooth so i need to be extra careful. The sugar intake is only something I hve just started monitoring in September it's been an eye opener going back and looking at how much sugar I was eating sometimes double and triple the amount I shld be eating. Pretty shocking! @MadisonMolly2017 im pretty sure we hve spoken about sugar & salt intake and I know u monitor both very closely. I am finding the less sugar I eat the less I'm craving it and the more I ate before the more I was craving it. I think this is something u hve mentioned too. Xox

@donna25trinity YES. Definitely.
    For refined sugars. I don’t find it to be true for fruit - for me, at least. I have read fiber in the fruit slows down response to the sugar.

Ditto salt. It usually takes me 3 days of sodium Uber 1,800 mg & sugars < 100g for my “mouth hunger” to disappear again.

So glad we have figured this out == greater chance of long term success!

🌸Best,
    Maddie

@MadisonMolly2017 great to know, thanks. Can I get sum clarification wen I go to nutrition part of mfp it has sugar goals set at 45g and sodium is set at 2300mg. So my question is are u aiming for 100g of sugar instead of 45g and 1800 for sodium instead of 2300? If so that wld be heaps better 4 me as I'm finding it hard to fit in much friut at 45g. Alto I must admit I am having a little refined sugars treat every night. Atm I am just focusing on the sugar part then next month im hoping to monitor salt as well.