September 4

Options

Replies

• Chinkiri
    Chinkiri Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    3rd September
    3 x Yes
    I have the most difficulty with Tracking in this challenge. I can do a 'wet finger' calories thing, but I know it won't be very accurate. Tracking is the most important measure here; if I don't track, I cheat and don't lose weight. In my case, it's best if I pre-plan. In that case I know how many calories I have got to play with. If I don't pre-plan, I often gave a problem and it makes it difficult not to cheat!⁸⁷
  • Bovaryoo
    Bovaryoo Posts: 1,374 Member
    Options
    Exercise: Core 10, Yoga 30, Arms 10 +20, Walk
    Tracked: Yes
    Calories: Yes

After losing weight twice before and stopping tracking only to gain the weight back, I've realized I will always need to track my food. I also find it really beneficial to pre-log to make sure I stay on track for the day. I also need to be pretty good about weighing and measuring food because I am far too generous with servings otherwise. The recipe match tool on MFP is very helpful, especially when entering from a blog.

@MadisonMolly2017 I'm glad you like yours! I've pretty much decided now that it will be my reward.😀
  • donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 3,005 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 great to know, thanks. Can I get sum clarification wen I go to nutrition part of mfp it has sugar goals set at 45g and sodium is set at 2300mg. So my question is are u aiming for 100g of sugar instead of 45g and 1800 for sodium instead of 2300? If so that wld be heaps better 4 me as I'm finding it hard to fit in much friut at 45g. Alto I must admit I am having a little refined sugars treat every night. Atm I am just focusing on the sugar part then next month im hoping to monitor salt as well.

Hi Donna aka @donna25trinity!

SODIUM
    “ The American Heart Association recommends no more than 2,300 milligrams (mg) a day and moving toward an ideal limit of no more than 1,500 mg per day for most adults.”

The Canadian recommendations are stricter:

“Articles in this release > Sodium
    Canadians consume a large amount of sodium. Although some sodium is needed to control blood volume and to help cells function properly,1 most Canadians consume far more than is necessary, or recommended. Results from the 2004 Canadian Community Health Survey (CCHS — Nutrition (see Data source) indicate that, among people aged 19 to 70, over 85% of men and 60% of women had sodium intakes exceeding the recommended upper limit beyond which health risks increase (Table 1).

Most sodium is consumed as sodium chloride, usually called “table salt.” In fact, a US study has estimated that 90% of sodium intake comes from sodium chloride.2 Processed foods are the main source, accounting for 77% of average daily sodium intake. Another 12% occurs naturally in foods, and salt added during cooking (6%) or at the table (5%) makes up the remainder.2

Recommended sodium intake
    Dietary recall
    All ages exceed recommended levels
    Salt and more salt
    Risk of hypertension
    Provincial differences
    Slightly below US intake

Recommended sodium intake

The Institute of Medicine (IOM)1 recommends the following “adequate intakes,” or AIs, per day:

1,000 milligrams (mg) for children aged 1 to 3
    1,200 mg for children aged 4 to 8
    1,500 mg for people aged 9 to 50
    1,300 mg for adults aged 51 to 70
    1,200 mg for seniors over 70 years of age.
    The IOM has also established a “tolerable upper intake level,” or UL (see Definitions and Limitations), which ranges from 1,500 mg to 2,200 mg of sodium per day for children and adolescents aged 1 to 13, up to 2,300 mg per day for people aged 14 or older. Consumption exceeding these limits increases the risks of adverse health effects, especially those linked to hypertension.1

Note: they also say not to go over 2,300 mg per day (for adults).

🌸—> I have low blood pressure, so I average 1,800-2000mg per day over each year.
    In 2018, my average sodium was 1,444 as I was working to keep it under 1,500.
    🌸in the past 7 days, my sodium average has been: 1,497. Down 600 from the previous week.🎉

Fruits & Sugar
    I eat a little 82% dark chocolate each day - about 6 grams of sugar. Most of my sugars come from apples (40 g most days) & nonfat milk (13-26 grams per day.) Some dates & raisins have been driving up my sugars, so I’m not replacing them when the containers are empty.

The recommendation I saw for sugars from the UK’s NHS:
    “Eating too much sugar can make you gain weight and can also cause tooth decay.

The type of sugars most adults and children in the UK eat too much of are "free sugars".

These are:

Any sugars added to food or drinks. These include sugars in biscuits, chocolate, flavoured yoghurts, breakfast cereals and fizzy drinks. These sugars may be added at home, or by a chef or other food manufacturer.

Sugars in honey, syrups (such as maple, agave and golden), nectars (such as blossom), and unsweetened fruit juices, vegetable juices and smoothies. The sugars in these foods occur naturally but still count as free sugars.

Sugar found naturally in milk, fruit and vegetables does not count as free sugars.❣️❣️

We do not need to cut down on these sugars, but remember that they are included in the "total sugar" figure found on food labels.

How much sugar can we eat?

The government recommends that free sugars – sugars added to food or drinks, and sugars found naturally in honey, syrups, and unsweetened fruit and vegetable juices, smoothies and purées – should not make up more than 5% of the energy (calories) you get from food and drink each day.

This means:

Adults should have no more than 30g of free sugars a day, (roughly equivalent to 7 sugar cubes).”

🌸I eat about 2,100 calories a day.
    NHS is saying 5% of calories about 26 grams of “free sugars” per day for me.
    US says 10% of calories 52 grams

I think I’m averaging about 6g - 18 g + dates now.

But when I was going nuts with Graham crackers (all tracked!) that number went up to 7 times that & so did my appetite lol I was also eating many more dates.

Another day I found I had a shocking sugars number due to a lot of dates spread throughout the day. Clearly my sweet tooth was activated.

So, to answer your question..
    You want to have fewer than 5-10% of your calories coming from “free sugars” and you probably know a gram of sugar is 4 calories, so it’s easy to calculate the grams you can have per day.

I’m not familiar with MFP’s algorithms as I use My Net Diary. They recommended <25% of daily calories from all sugars. 131 grams for me.
    They recommended < 10% of daily calories from added sugars. Or 52 grams for me.

xcjbqh6i6hvz.png

So here’s why I track…I’ve kept ALL sugars under 100 for a few years, but look…NOT the past 3 months…

Thus, the issues with my appetite the past few months. And my weight. And actually I’ve been a bit more tired & “creaky.”

Thank you! I see clearly now what I need to change :)

I hope this helped!

Best,
    Maddie[/quote]

@MadisonMolly2017

Wow i love love love this Maddie! Thank u so much for your time and all the detail. This is just amazing, I really appreciate it and i knew that u were the person I needed to come to wen I was ready to stop ignoring the need to tackle the whole sugar/salt issue. Ill keep u posted with how it all goes. Thanks again. Xox
  • readyornot1234
    readyornot1234 Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

For me, it is tracking. I had no idea I was eating so much before I started to track. At first tracking was a time consuming pain but now it takes just a few minutes for each meal. I pretty much eat a rotation of the same things and that makes it even easier. Plus it helps me to make sure I’m eating enough protein or I will just eat all day. My activity has always been pretty consistent. My weight issues are purely related to eating far too much.

Saturday, September 4

Tracking: Yes
    Calories: under with some exercise calories but it was an active day and I needed a bit more fuel so all good.
    Exercise: Yes, full body warm up 10 min, core 10 min, lift upper body 20 min, lift arms & light weights 10 min, fully body stretch 10 min, chest & back stretch 10 min, focus flow yoga hamstrings 10 min & pigeon 10 min, golf 9 walk.

Pass days to date - 0
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    September 4

UAC goals
    ✅ Exercise 20+ minutes
    ✅ Calories within budget
    ✅ Tracked every detail I consumed
    Pass days used: 0/3

Additional challenges
    ✅ 3+ strength sessions in last 7 days (9/3, 9/1, 8/30)
    ✅ 17k+ steps (23,960 steps)
    ✅ 7 day avg. 7.5+ walking miles (9.4 miles)
    Additional challenges met: 4/4 days

Today's Activities
    🚶‍♂️ 44 min Afternoon Walk (2.32 miles)
    🚶‍♂️ 98 min Evening Walk (4.67 miles)
  • mshawski
    mshawski Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    @seilidhe - ❤️
  • LeeH31
    LeeH31 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Yes x3

“To promise not to do a thing is the surest way in the world to make a body want to go and do that very thing.” – Mark Twain
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,889 Member
    Options
    9/04
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? 👍🏻
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? 👍🏻
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? 👍🏻

3 Pass Days Remaining
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,072 Member
    Options
    September 4

1. Tracked it all ✅
    2. Kept within calorie limit? ❌ 60 calories over. Was pretty sure I’d be taking a pass day, but tracked to be certain. Have daughter and partner here for the long weekend. Aperol spritzes were enjoyed as well as a delicious barbeque. We had a campfire in the back yard after dinner and I limited myself to (and thoroughly enjoyed) one toasted marshmallow. Happy with my choices for the day!
    3. Moved for 20 minutes or more? ✅ walk with the puppy; 1 hour gardening, hauling compost and boxes.

💡 First pass days used September 4
    Extra goals for September success:

8000 steps? 🤯 left FitBit on charger all day
    Reached protein goal of 88g? 👎🏻 (66g actual)
    iPhone ban success? 👍🏻 But a terrible sleep nonetheless
  • bookieNJ
    bookieNJ Posts: 3,582 Member
    Options
    Yes, no, no.
    Pass days used 3
  • Winner_in_Life
    Winner_in_Life Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    3xyes
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,072 Member
    Options
    @seilidhe Sending you a hug for strength. 🫂💞
  • ForLangston
    ForLangston Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Yes x 3
  • Jillygirl0220
    Jillygirl0220 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Exercised 20+ minutes: Yes to the 5th power. So much gardening I was flattened by it all. 3 hours then a break the another hour. Whew!
    Tracked all intake: Yes
    Kept with my calories: Yes with a generous allowance due to all the exercise.

• donna25trinity
    Options
    bradkcrew wrote: »
    IDK, I suppose I will see what happens. I just can't envision what tracking looks like once I hit maintenance. It's one thing when I can weigh, measure, read labels, and know every ingredient that I am consuming, but how do I do it when I eventually eat something I don't personally prepare at home? How do you rock star maintainers manage?

Hey there I still out prob once a week and I just estimate based on what I find on Google and mfp. I usually try to over estimate to account for extra sugar sodium and calories that comes with eating out. Xo
  • donna25trinity
    Options
    bradkcrew wrote: »
    Exercise: :) Weight circuit, 20 minutes elliptical, 30 minute walk. Race day tomorrow! 10k run in preparation for the 15k. I am really nervous.

Tracking: :)

Calories: :)

U going to kill it! Xxo