Thoughts on Sola Bread, Mission Low Carb, and Katalina Crunch

Options
solska
solska Posts: 348 Member
I'm wondering if you eat these and are fine or get stalled, kicked out of ketosis?

I need some bread supplement to stay on track. I have been off and restarting. I used to bake a lot with almond flour and flaxseed flour but very short on time at the moment. I would appreciate hearing about your experience, if you have measured your insulin response or tracked ketones that would be great to know.

(and yes, I know it's better to not eat this stuff, no need to say that, or to say to just stick to meats etc. some of us need to not feel too deprived of certain foods to be able to do this.) Thank you!

Replies

• txkajun263
    txkajun263 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I eat Mission Low Carb Tortillas, mostly the wheat ones. They have 2g net carbs. I don't have them every day, but probably several times a week. I'll have one with deli sliced turkey, or tuna, etc. I also have bought the Franz zero carb bread and really like that for sandwiches. I have that much less frequently because it's a bit expensive, although I must be able to have some kind of bread now and then. (I've tried a couple of zero carb breads, and this one tastes and feels more like 'bread'. It's not super dense with very small slices.

I am limited to just under 17g net carbs a day at this point in my weight loss, and as long as I 'negotiate' all my other foods to stay there I haven't noticed any problems. I do not have to measure insulin, so my experience may be different from yours.
  • NYPhotographer2021
    Options
    I tried Crepinis for the 1st time yesterday. I wasn't sure I'd like them but they were good. I made a tuna/egg salad and the wrap kept intact and tasted good! I was very surprised. Made from cauliflower and eggs. Zero net carbs, only 8 calories per wrap.k2zfm1mlzl6a.jpg
  • txkajun263
    Options
    I tried Crepinis for the 1st time yesterday. I wasn't sure I'd like them but they were good. I made a tuna/egg salad and the wrap kept intact and tasted good! I was very surprised. Made from cauliflower and eggs. Zero net carbs, only 8 calories per wrap.

Do you buy these in your local store?
  • NYPhotographer2021
    Options
    txkajun263 wrote: »
    I tried Crepinis for the 1st time yesterday. I wasn't sure I'd like them but they were good. I made a tuna/egg salad and the wrap kept intact and tasted good! I was very surprised. Made from cauliflower and eggs. Zero net carbs, only 8 calories per wrap.

Yes, I found them in Walmart. I think by the vegetables. It was in a cooler section. I was looking at all the other wraps they had and they were all pretty high in carbs. When I saw the Crepini Wraps I bought them thinking if they don't taste good at least I tried. Lettuce leaves work okay, but they always tend to fall apart on me and the filling drips all over the place. So I really happy I liked the taste and they held in the filling great!

If you find them, remember that they are really thin. I almost used 2 and counted as 1.

• txkajun263
    Options

Yes, I found them in Walmart. I think by the vegetables. It was in a cooler section. I was looking at all the other wraps they had and they were all pretty high in carbs. When I saw the Crepini Wraps I bought them thinking if they don't taste good at least I tried. Lettuce leaves work okay, but they always tend to fall apart on me and the filling drips all over the place. So I really happy I liked the taste and they held in the filling great!

If you find them, remember that they are really thin. I almost used 2 and counted as 1.

thanks!
  • rseneca724
    rseneca724 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I really like Kiss My Keto's golden wheat bread. It is the closest that I have found to actual bread. Lots of people don't like it because of the gluten, but for me, having it once in a while instead of constantly craving or caving in to real bread makes it a winner.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Carbonaut is the best tasting keto bread I've found so far. Also, most keto breads are much tastier after toasting.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I personally cannot eat any "low carb" bread product that contains wheat, it will kick me right out of Ketosis, plus I'm Gluten Intolerant so it also comes with a host of other issues for me. Plus, wheat isn't technically Keto-friendly if you are following a strict keto diet that also includes eliminating inflammatory foods. That said, I really like the Crepini Egg Wraps posted above and have also recently discovered Base Culture breads that are Keto friendly and wheat free. I get it at Wegmans. https://baseculture.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw-ZCKBhBkEiwAM4qfFx3sCfU7V5CS2BJJL95CeSOA-Xwg9JtNlxG20b4uxfAZ9Kst3AuiMhoCIbcQAvD_BwE
  • NYPhotographer2021
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions @WholeFoods4Lyfe ! I found them at my local grocery. Took a while as I went down each aisle. But I bought the soft sandwich and the Keto one. I am thinking of making an egg sandwich with it.
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I eat Mission Low Carb Tortillas, mostly the wheat ones. They have 2g net carbs. I don't have them every day, but probably several times a week. I'll have one with deli sliced turkey, or tuna, etc. I also have bought the Franz zero carb bread and really like that for sandwiches. I have that much less frequently because it's a bit expensive, although I must be able to have some kind of bread now and then. (I've tried a couple of zero carb breads, and this one tastes and feels more like 'bread'. It's not super dense with very small slices.

I am limited to just under 17g net carbs a day at this point in my weight loss, and as long as I 'negotiate' all my other foods to stay there I haven't noticed any problems. I do not have to measure insulin, so my experience may be different from yours.

I eat these Mission Low Carb tortillas as well and they have minimal effect on blood sugar. I can manage T2D and keep my A1c under 5.5 if my daily net carbs stay under 30 grams per day. I also occasionally eat the Keto bread from Walmart and it’s fine as well. It’s much easier to manage T2D with diet by having these low carb products as it provides some variety with minimal preparation.
  • ymeoru
    ymeoru Posts: 10 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I occasionally eat the Sola bread. I haven't had a problem with it. But not very often. It's very expensive online and not available locally. But sometimes you really want a sandwich. B)
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Agreed with all of the above. And yes, being able to have grilled cheese changes everything for me. Or pizza with the wraps but I can't tell how detrimental they may be. Sola is cheaper at Costco. Not always in stock though. I will look for these other ones listed here as well. I am trying to get back on track but have just moved and dealing with a lot and it's one of those phases when I cannot really put in the time to cook much, so baking bread is not a possiblity right now