Success stories emotional eating

Options
adigriffon
adigriffon Posts: 12 Member
Hi all! I would really love a place to read success stories and learn from others. What has worked for you? How do you align emotional/spiritual/physical health? Thank you for your insights!

Replies

• healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    This is a late reply but here goes:
    The book Atomic Habits was helpful to me. I looked at my emotional eating habits and adjusted them. The biggest one was as soon as my kids went down for naps or down at bedtime I would immediately want to eat a large amount of ice cream, etc. to relax. I switched it for new habits- during nap time I meditate, do yoga, journal, drink green tea. At their bed time I relax without food. - watching a comedy or a movie that makes me cry or puppy and baby videos.
    Journaling and meditation help me be more aware of my emotions and process them instead of numbing them with overeating. Movement helps me feel better.
    Getting enough sleep makes a huge difference too. Fixing my sleep patterns took a lot of work.
    I have a good routine now. Also important is to make sure I enjoy some time of my day otherwise I stay up late for "revenge bedtime procrastination."
    So- sleep, move, meditate, journal, and doing things I enjoy. Also helped when things in my life were easier, when I wasn't nursing a baby in the night, etc. Sometimes it's about timing and circumstances. I'm really grateful for the progress I've made. Feel more attuned to my higher self when I don't cope through emotional eating.
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    1/I said to myself '' CANCER IS HARD " "MY DIET IS NOT HARD " ❗ every time I want to eat more than I should.
    2/ I DECIDE to COMMIT myself one day at the time and stick to it. Every day❗
    3/ choose healthy foods you like to nourish you.
    4/ I plan, log and count my calories , protein, fat, carb, sugar and fiber. MFP is the place to do it anyway.
    5/ eat when hungry only.
    6/ I walk every day.
    7/ Drink a lot of water.
    8/ Get enough sleep.
    I'm more and more happy with myself for sticking to my diet plan . 1 day ▶1 week ▶1 month ▶1 year, so on and so on.
    I decide and commit , excuses don't get me anywhere and they don't make me happy.
    I wish you well. 💓
  • MrsHermit
    MrsHermit Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to replace emotional eating with constructive and fun behavior like playing music (either to listen or playing an instrument), or making something (knit, sew, etc).
    That worked just today, as I said "no" to the emotions I was feeling and promised myself I WILL do some sewing right after x chore, and that it was okay. Craving went away.
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    My journey to understand my food addiction began when I was 18 and now I am 41. I have overcome a lot just through understanding the emotional components and addressing those. I realized that sheer willpower was not ever going to work. I had to pop the hood and look deep within at my traumas in order to understand my unhealthy relationship with food. I had to practice sitting in the emotions that I wanted to run from by eating food. That has taken a lot of awareness and much practice.