T2D here - Is this normal?

Options
Hello, so I know there probably aren't any doctors in here, but if anyone is knowledgeable about T2D, could you weigh in please? I have a doctor's appt next week but just am a bit worried right now.

So I've been eating low carb/keto since about a month ago. I've only started testing my blood sugar again last week. They have been averaging around 105 mg/dl.

Today was my son's birthday and we had pizza, cake & ice cream. I had 2 slices of pizza and a smallish slice of cake and about 1/4c of ice cream. Did not measure amounts. Just enjoyed the party.

My carbs were around 112 grams with a high guesstimation. Before eating, my bg was 84. Two hours after, it was 172! I expected it to be high, but that was HIGH! I went for a 20 minute walk, took it again and it was down to 97. Does that seem off to anyone? Or is it normal? I will be asking my doctor when I go, but just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this. TIA!

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm a T1D and use a CGM, so I've had decades of experience with BG changes except I don't actually make my own insulin (unlike you). IMO, this sounds completely rational.

You're a T2D and not taking insulin... you eat low carb, so you are going to be more carb sensitive anyway. To be fair, there are a lot of T2's that would be in the 300's or 400's at post-prandial. You're not doing too bad, all things considered. Just stop eating pizza, sugar, and other carbs.
  • NYPhotographer2021
    Options
    Okay, thank you T1DCarnivoreRunner! I appreciate the insight! I guess I am doing pretty good considering. Trust me, this was just a one time thing. No birthdays until next April! :)
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I agree with T1DCarnivore... I am not diabetic and numbers like you posted would not surprise me at all, especially when eating keto/low carb for awhile.

The good thing to note is that it dropped so quickly after you took the walk - that means that your body was doing what it should do and used the glucose effectively to power your walk (thus dropping your total BG reading back into a normal range).
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    normal
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,131 Member
    Options
    When I was diagnosed with T2 my number were 300-500 but I also was admitted to the hospital for flu/pneumona for 9 miserable days ... my BS on Monday was 130
  • BerserkerWulfe
    BerserkerWulfe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi NY I'm t2d. It's normal
    I test before breakfast for a constant number. Then after meals to see how much it's impacted.
  • NYPhotographer2021
    Options
    Hi NY I'm t2d. It's normal
    I test before breakfast for a constant number. Then after meals to see how much it's impacted.

This is what I'm starting to do as well. I've been testing consistently between 85 & 120. Which is why I found the 172 alarming. But today I've gone the opposite direction. Tested 68 two hours after breakfast. So I drank 3 oz of OJ. I can't wait until my doctor's appt next week!
  • russellholtslander1
    russellholtslander1 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    My first BG in 2002 was 526 mg/dL. Like T1D said.. in the old days, pizza would have put me over 400.. but since starting low carb, if I have a bad meal, and get right back on track.. this happens to me as well.. now, if I was to do this more than 1 meal, after 2-3 meals I would be up near 300, and it ight take a day or 2 to get back below 120.

I think it might have to do with stored glycogen.. if it's being used quickly, it is burnt off faster, before it gets stored, and harder to drag out of storage to use.. maybe it has to do with a delay switching from fat to glucose use, and back..

Whatever the cause, 1 cheat meal will move me up to 160-180, and if I go right back on low carb, I'm back in the 90's, within a meal or 2.
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    @russellholtslander1 Thank you! I feel better. Just have to learn how my body handles this. I don't do cheat meals except for special occasions, but you never know. Never say never, right? My doctor's appointment is tomorrow. I have so many questions. I just hope he is open minded to the keto way of eating. Some aren't.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    @russellholtslander1 Thank you! I feel better. Just have to learn how my body handles this. I don't do cheat meals except for special occasions, but you never know. Never say never, right? My doctor's appointment is tomorrow. I have so many questions. I just hope he is open minded to the keto way of eating. Some aren't.

I'm glad that you are going in to your appointment tomorrow with your eyes wide open. Unfortunately, most doctors know squat about nutrition. I went to school to be a Nutritional Therapist and you couldn't pay me to take nutrition advice from my PCP. Several years ago I was diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome which included pre-diabetic blood sugar numbers. I was able to reverse all of my issues through diet. I'm happy to answer any questions that you might have. Medication is not the answer to curing T2D, food is. Good luck!
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that you are going in to your appointment tomorrow with your eyes wide open. Unfortunately, most doctors know squat about nutrition. I went to school to be a Nutritional Therapist and you couldn't pay me to take nutrition advice from my PCP. Several years ago I was diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome which included pre-diabetic blood sugar numbers. I was able to reverse all of my issues through diet. I'm happy to answer any questions that you might have. Medication is not the answer to curing T2D, food is. Good luck!

Thank you! I haven't been to the doctor's since 2019. I had moved early in 2020 and then Covid hit and wasn't able to get an appointment. Finally got one late last year, and don't I forget it?! Went the day after so I wasn't seen. I was so embarrassed that I didn't reschedule. I know, silly (well stupid) of me. So I finally got an appointment at a new place. In the meantime, I ran out of my prescription for metformin. As well as the one for HBP and for my thyroid. So right now I've been almost a year not being on medication. I'm a bit nervous right now. I feel good though. I really do not want to be on any medication. My blood sugar has been real good. My blood pressure has been good lately too. I've lost almost 14 pounds since the end of August, and plan on keeping it off and continuing.

My last doctor was okay with the Ketogenic diet. The one before him, wasn't. She sent me to a dietitian who recommended me to eat more carbs, like 300-500 grams. So after ignoring her, I ended up doing just that and regained most of the weight I had lost the first time. And it took me about a year and a half to get with the program again. This time, I am sticking with it.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Good for you for sticking with it. Have you read Dr. Bernstein's book? He has lots of detail about blood sugars and levels to aim for. http://www.diabetes-book.com/ He started monitoring his own blood glucose in the early 1970s, before the small monitors were available.