Shrinking Assets Team Chat - OCTOBER 2021

Options

Replies

• chublet25
    chublet25 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    So, just curious....how many people have tried (and possibly even succeeded) to lose weight before and gained some back? Did something trigger you to try to lose weight/get in shape (this time)? Is anything different this round for you?

I'll start!

Yes, I have lost weight before and gained it back. Several times. I started this time on March 23rd of this year, at 225 pounds, the heaviest I've ever been. But I've never got as low as I am at the moment. About 5-10 years ago I got down to nearly 150 pounds (and then gained 75 pounds over the years....sigh...)

I don't think anything triggered me into losing weight this round, nothing conscious anyway. But something IS different for me. One day I just decided to lose weight. I seem to have more of a no-nonsense "let's get 'er done" attitude than I may ever have had before. When things inevitably go wrong in my life I am not stuffing my face with whatever I have at hand. I am much more determined. I am exercising. I am not "cheating" on my diet. So I don't understand why this time is different, but it just is! Maybe yoyo dieters like me all reach that point in our lives when we've had enough of being obese and then we lose weight for good.

Pat
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    PatriceFitnessPal
    Weigh-in day: Thursday
    PW: 123.9
    CW: 123.4

SW:168

I am going to move to the ‘support’ group in November so I’ll have one more weigh in next week before concentrating on maintenance throughout 2022. I appreciate the support during the coming year, while I figure out how to manage my healthier habits over the longterm. I’ll post a response to your question above soon @chublet25 and appreciate learning from you, @coblujay and others willing to share their experiences so we can continue to refine our behaviors and improve our health. Best wishes, Shrinking Asset team members!
  • thetigers
    thetigers Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Beka3695 wrote: »
    Monday I will interview with the National VP of Underwriting. I am excited and anxious at the same time. I feel like this interview will produce an offer

Best of luck for Monday - love your positive thinking! 🤞

• thetigers
    thetigers Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    thetigers
    Tuesday 19 Oct
    PW:145.5
    CW:145.5

To be honest I think I deserved a loss but that's how it goes some weeks eh?
    Food wise I've had a good week despite having to cancel a holiday to Rome that I've been looking forward to since February. My fiance has gout and is not up to hobbling around the wonders of Rome. bah! On the plus side I now have 25 weeks to get to a healthy weight and get fitter so I can scoff all the beautiful gelato al pistacchio and tagliatelle al salmone I can find!
  • chublet25
    chublet25 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    coblujay wrote: »
    I have lost and gained multiple times over the years. I think I finally just gave up and thought this is me and I should be happy where I am. I was working out with a trainer for years so was in better shape than if I just sat on the couch, but I was having a problem controlling my eating.

Then in April, I had my physical and my doctor recommended weight loss surgery. I love my doctor. He's very direct. I told him I wouldn't do surgery and he told me he'd prescribe some kind of diet pills if I could lose fifteen pounds in three months. I'm not interested in diet pills either. It got me off my butt and focused. He doesn't know what I'm doing, so I can't wait to see him next April. My sister is traveling this journey with me and is already at goal weight. She had just under forty pounds to lose.

I also started back on MFP and wrote a post in the community forums early in the process outlining my hopes and fears and people, who have successfully lost and kept weight off, were so supportive. In the past, I'd just log my meals here and be done with it. This time, I've jumped in to the MFP community with the challenges and reading the inspiring information people post here based on their personal experience.

After all these years of struggles, I finally believe I can do this and that's such a big part of what keeps me moving forward. I've lost forty-six pounds and am almost halfway there.

Thanks for your reply; I appreciate it! Being in this group has helped me, as I am not only determined to lose the weight, but I don't want to let the team down either (I'm full-on crazy, as one of my friends calls me). I am in challenges too. I love the ongoing 10-day challenges, as well as the 3-4 month long challenges. It really helps me to break the weight loss down into chunks other than weeks for some reason. Or maybe it's just the variety. The 3-4 month long challenges are awesome in particular because you decide how much you're going to try to lose and you can really see progress (or not, ha!)

I saw my doctor the other day, after I lost 75 pounds, and he didn't notice! I guess I don't go very often. I will get weighed in a couple of weeks when I go for my cancer checkup (it was only stage 1 and the offending body part, luckily not an important one, was removed).

Pat
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,331 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Congratulations on making it so far in the interview process, @Beka3695! I’m sending positive vibes for Monday’s meeting with the vice-President! I hope you can enjoy the weekend and feel relaxed and confident in the meeting.

@thetigers —I hear gout cause terrible pain in the big toe so I imagine walking would be difficult for your fiancé, but I’m sorry to hear you had to cancel your trip to Rome. You have a good attitude, recognizing that you can prepare over the next 25 weeks for an even better trip in the future.

@chublet25 - In response to your questions -...how many people have tried (and possibly even succeeded) to lose weight before and gained some back? Did something trigger you to try to lose weight/get in shape (this time)? Is anything different this round for you? - the short answer is that the pandemic became a ‘crisis as opportunity’ because it motivated me to focus on my health. The timing was right because my young adult sons are forging their own identities and becoming more independent. I’m finding more balance.

Here’s the longer version: I’ve lost weight in the past but usually smaller amounts. When I’m experiencing stress at work - and have competing responsibilities across settings (e.g., home, office, community) - I tend to gradually put on weight. The pandemic was the catalyst for improving my nutrition and fitness this time. I couldn’t control much during the early days of COVID-19, when there were so many questions about how it spreads and even more uncertainty than we have now. So, I decided the one area I had the power to change was my own health. I always take precautions to avoid catching the virus but I also wanted to prevent - or at least reduce - any life threatening effects of a COVID infection.

After an initial surge at work, helping large health and education systems move to Telehealth and online learning, many of my day-to-day responsibilities paused. Our family (husband & two college-age sons) spent time hiking outside for a change of view from quarantining, and we took turns cooking dinner in pairs. The dinners became a healthy competition, literally and figuratively, as we prepared a variety of nutritious homemade meals and tried to ‘out-do’ one another to create the most delicious dinner. 😉. The time away from community commitments gave me an opportunity to build the habit of tracking my food, which helped me better understand the portion sizes that are right for me.

Although it was a bit scary in the beginning, I also created my own company which allowed me to schedule more flexibility into my day for exercise. The ability to set my own schedule is one of the biggest differences this time. I eat well and enjoy moving - walking instead of driving, spending time outdoors with friends and family, staying active - and it improves my overall wellbeing. These days, I work with a variety of states (and one of the Pacific entities) so they are in different time zones. It can be a little confusing to manage all the times but it actually allows for more life balance. I am able to get outside and row on the river 4-5 times a week during the spring, summer, and fall months. My sons are now back at college, living on campus, so the timing works for us.

My husband also retired and started his own business just before the pandemic shutdown. We were fortunate not to suffer too much because most of our work can be done remotely (though it’s not ideal and we hope to build in some face-to-face meetings when necessary). Now that our sons are independent, I can focus more on my health. I am still volunteering in my community and working but I’m able to take care of myself more.

I’m hoping I can continue to sustain my weight and fitness levels as I face future stresses (e.g., caring for my mother and other relatives as they age, etc.) so I’m trying to proactively prepare by downsizing the amount of staff we have in our house, and planning with my sons and extended family. I’m really trying to center myself and refine what’s working well so I don’t fall back into old habits. I’m feeling cautiously optimistic that I can adopt a healthy lifestyle long term. And, while I mostly trust myself to succeed, I guess want to verify it in the coming year.
  • coblujay
    coblujay Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    @Beka3695 - sending prayers your way, Beka. Congrats on the progess of the interviews so far.

@chublet25 - I'm always inspired as I watch your journey. It's been fun being in these groups together. I'm the same as you. I don't want to let my team down and thrive when I'm surrounded by people who have a shared goal and experience the same challenges that I do. I haven't entered any of the longer challenges, just this one and the ten day challenge. Both have made such a big difference for me. Pretty soon you'll be in maintenance mode. I'm excited for you and can't wait to watch you rock that too.

@PatriceFitnessPal - I love how you focused on your health as a family during COVID, Patrice. I'm working on that balance between fitness and my art business. Working out on a regular basis has added a lot to my weekly calendar and I still haven't quite worked that out yet, but I'm getting there. I'll be watching and learning from your maintenance journey too. I'll be cheering for you all the way.
  • Marni3369
    Marni3369 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Marni3369

PW: 241.8
    CW: 242.3

Darn it! Still hoping to be under 240 by November 1st.

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    Anniesquats100
    Friday
    Pw 170.6
    Cw 167.9

Finally! Hope this continues!
  • cre804
    cre804 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Cre804
    Friday
    PW 190.5
    CW 191.5

Another yo-yo week. We’re in Houston this weekend visiting my daughter so that will be a nice change of scenery but a challenge in the diet area. If the hotel has a decent breakfast I should be able to manage ok.
  • leni1us
    leni1us Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    leni1us
    Friday
    Previous Weight: 149.0
    Current Weight: 151.4

This past weekend in Las Vegas set me back a bit. I was 153 when we got back this passed Tuesday but the weight is slowly coming down. I think most of it was water. We had sushi night one night for dinner and another day pizza for lunch (I just had one slice of pepperoni). Regardless, since we got back, I have been working hard on staying within my macros and drinking copious amounts of water.

Looking for a loss next week.
  • Nature003Life
    Nature003Life Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Sorry for not posting last week. Havent been feeling well and we are down to one car again. I have been playing taxi for the last two weeks and its catching up on me.

PW: 274.4
    CW: 274.4

My goal this week is to try and get enough rest.

Have a good day everyone!
  • jazzadesigns
    jazzadesigns Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    @chublet25 wrote:

So, just curious....how many people have tried (and possibly even succeeded) to lose weight before and gained some back? Did something trigger you to try to lose weight/get in shape (this time)? Is anything different this round for you?

Sorry I meant to reply to this days ago. I lost 50 lbs in a year on MFP from 2017 to 2018. I was thrown off track as I was having financial problems (I’m a single mom) and had to sell my house. And then gained more during quarantine. So I ended up gaining 70 lbs back and reached my highest ever weight of 257.8 lbs.

I think hitting (and passing) the 250 lb mark was it for me. It was so much harder to do everything, like paint my toenails and even to roll over in bed. I started again in January 2021 and have lost 43 lbs so far. I would love for this time to be it, but I’m taking one day at a time.🙂
  • wtbarunner
    wtbarunner Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    On Friday I found out I have fairly high blood pressure so started on medication on Saturday but now have anxiety over it!!! Hope the meds help quickly!!
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,241 Member
    Options
    and-the-winners-are.png

You can now find the October Week 3 Results in the Announcements and Results thread!

Here's a sneak peak of how your team did...
    hd1v6ioi5t6e.png
This discussion has been closed.