Struggling with Hunger

Options
spangadora
spangadora Posts: 89 Member
I'm getting a bit disheartened. I am stalling out on losing right when I need to lose a bit quicker again leading up to my knee replacement mid-november. I'm hungry a lot, like growling stomach, feeling empty and kind of a weak, shaky feeling... I suspect it's the balance of what I'm eating more than anything but I'm struggling to feel motivated to eat anything well balanced too... My motivation has taken a hit, basically but today, for example, is our one day we order in. Sunday football and a pizza. Means no cooking and just kinda relaxing for me with little to no housework and so on... I usually have two pieces of pizza. One when it arrives, usually early afternoon and one around dinner time. Hubby just has the odd piece throughout the day and boom, no cooking for me! So today I had my one piece and felt really hungry still afterwards. I tried to fight it off. Had some water to try and top up my stomach and still just this empty feeling and growly stomach. So I've now had a second piece and STILL having that same feeling!! WHAT IS GOING ON???

My surgeon's office has the monthly bariatric ed class on Tuesday with the nutritionist and I see her in person on Friday along with a check in with the PA for the surgeon. I will be talking to them about it but I wanted to reach out here to see if anyone else has had this issue?

Since the sleeve (April 19th) I have rarely had trouble eating or getting in plenty of water. Rarely have I had pain from eating too much/too fast/too big a bite etc. It has happened... I'm not perfect. But more and more I just feel hungry and empty. I see people on FB groups talking about how they've reached their goal weight but that getting enough fluids in was a struggle (usually in the vein of it was all worth it) I don't struggle with anything...

I'm worried, basically.

Replies

• slowerbutqwik
    slowerbutqwik Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I get that worry! We're so used to eating whatever, whenever. It's what gut us to the place we were presurgery. I have this knsuming fear ill wake up on Oct 29 (1 year from my surgery date) and it will all be a lie. I'll be back to 265.when you couple that with what I call head hunger, I feel like I'm sabataging myself.
    I'm reading everything I can on changing my relationship with food, but I still don't feel like I'm cueing into my correct body signals.
    I have followed several great dieticians, thru all say when you're dtruggkng, go back to basics... 1.eat your protein first, 2. Get additional fluids 3. Move.
    4. Follow the bariatric plate 5. Avoud slider foods.
    I always include honest tracking to my list. I find it's very easy to lie to myself about what I am and am not putting in my mouth.
    The struggle, even after surgery, is real and scary. Keep up the important work. Maybe order in something with more protein and less refined carb, a bucket of chicken or I always like to get a rotisserie chicken from Costco to munch on with some raw carrots.
    Let me know how it's going.
    Shauna
  • spangadora
    Options
    Thanks as always Shauna.
    I had a nervous moment yesterday and feel a bit more connected back into the journey. By nervous moment I mean I was having palpitations. I've been having them recently off and on, in fact. I'll be talking to the nutritionist and my primary doc about it too... not just going by what I've been reading up on them. At first I thought my BP was all high or something (never had an issue with high BP so far or diabetes) but reading up on what that felt like palpitations caught my eye. I suspect my new stomach is having a bigger effect on things than I realized. Like with coffee... I used to drink a few BIG mugs a day... I cut it right out before surgery and then started back up once the doc said it was fine. I find now more than a mug in a day causes an assortment of 'intestinal' issues. So if I have a second cup it's later in the day instead of spending the morning drinking cup after cup and not eating like I used to. But then the palpitations started up during a cup later in the day yesterday. But beyond possible caffeine, it could be that I'd not had enough water. I'd not had enough balance in the day yesterday up to that point. I had my calcium supplements then, poured out the rest of my coffee. Had a good amount of water and a pear and felt much better. But, long story (again) short, it scared me and gave me a much needed kick in the butt about eating better/balanced again.

Yes, protein first, always. I had a lapband for a long time before this, protein first and in good quantities throughout the day is tattooed on my brain. But I have to make sure I balance it or I feel hungry and unpleasant.

The learning continues and Shauna, your support has been so appreciated!
  • spangadora
    Options
    Had a great meeting with the nutritionist on Friday. We had a good long chat (I was nice and early and she took me in early) The balance I really need is Fibre and it was like a light bulb in my head. It was fibre specifically that would help me and it already has. I knew that but it had seemed to have fallen out of my head. I was close because I knew I needed to balance out my meals more than I have been. I'd been focusing on protein but staying hungry and frustrated by it then by adding higher fibre veg (broccoli specifically in this case) I stayed full well into the evening. It was an eye-opener and a head to desk banging frustration that I'd forgotten. haha
  • slowerbutqwik
    slowerbutqwik Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    spangadora wrote: »
    Had a great meeting with the nutritionist on Friday. We had a good long chat (I was nice and early and she took me in early) The balance I really need is Fibre and it was like a light bulb in my head. It was fibre specifically that would help me and it already has. I knew that but it had seemed to have fallen out of my head. I was close because I knew I needed to balance out my meals more than I have been. I'd been focusing on protein but staying hungry and frustrated by it then by adding higher fibre veg (broccoli specifically in this case) I stayed full well into the evening. It was an eye-opener and a head to desk banging frustration that I'd forgotten. haha

What a blessing to have the RD be able to pinpoint that for you! Such a great thing to remember. Soon after surgery it's so hard just to get the protein, we forget how important fiber from veggies really is and have a hard time getting them into our routine. Thank yiu so much fir sharing thus great advice!
  • spangadora
    Options
    After the venting I did I had to share the outcome. I'm feeling better physically thanks to the reminder from her and the fact I'm eating better again. It's true, with the small stomach I was all protein protein protein because it's drilled in so hard. But I feel good now and glad to have this place to share.