The Fireplace

MWMstr17
MWMstr17 Posts: 1,354 Member
General topics and fitness or nutrition resources to share.

Replies

• bradkcrew
    bradkcrew Posts: 1,509 Member
    thanks for setting this up!
  • starjam25
    starjam25 Posts: 4,681 Member
    Cool! It'll be nice to be able to chat between the terms!
  • Briaboo4
    Briaboo4 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Hey, thank you for setting this up. :smile:
  • MWMstr17
    Sure, all ideas welcome. I'm a rookie, but I figure there is largely dead air b/t terms, since each term requires taking roll call, sorting, and sending out invites, etc.

For this, I was thinking "just enough" to stay on the wagon between terms, and also try to keep up interest in Slytherin House as first choice. Maybe each set a goal for the break, and use ICY to stay focused?
  • MWMstr17
  • Briaboo4
    Briaboo4 Posts: 1,080 Member
    I've put in my application! Only Slytherin will do for me, of course. :smile:
  • stinabean83
    stinabean83 Posts: 1,233 Member
    Me too!
    Thanks for setting up this group where we can hang out in the meantime!
    That reminds me, I should finish my Bingo! I've been slacking keeping track as have been busy this month with a menu plan challenge but want to keep up with all you snakes during the break!!
  • Dawnshealth111
    Dawnshealth111 Posts: 884 Member
    I signed up and my mom is going to join when her electricity comes back.
  • Rigibann
    Rigibann Posts: 3,663 Member
    Just popping in whilst on holiday - good to keep in touch until next term
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    Think I've made up my mind about the holiday term. I've always struggled with the holidays and I don't expect this year to be very different. The main difference will be my commitment to an overall low sodium diet. While I've discovered that insisting on low sodium very often precludes over-eating (simply because you have no sodium allotment left) I'm sure - CERTAIN - that I'll be indulging in celebrations for Thanksgiving and the Christmas season. So I think I'm going to switch to maintenance for the short upcoming term. Staying within +/- 5 pounds seems more doable to me than a steady loss during the holidays.

Does anyone else share my Holiday pain? I'd love to read some of your strategies for getting through them without gaining large amountss of weight.
  • bradkcrew
    @hippysprout I am also in deep contemplation about how to handle the holidays, especially Thanksgiving which is looming.

Do I stay on course and just put a piece of turkey breast on my plate (because there will be nothing else that will be workable) and treat it like any other day, or do I just take the day and eat? The problem is, if I do that, will I be able to just pick up the next day, or will I spiral? I really don't know....
  • brandi_84
    brandi_84 Posts: 1,963 Member
    Thinking about the holidays, too.A few years back, while I was dieting in the fall and actually having success, I got so used to having smaller portions that I just wasn't hungry enough to over eat without feeling sick. I tried a little of everything and actually had a loss the next day. My goal right now is to get back to the smaller portions so I will naturally eat less Thanksgiving. But this time around it has been harder to deal with the smaller portions and not feel like I am going to starve. My other issue is that, I feel guilty for wasting food and will eat to make it go away. So I am trying to find the solution for all the leftovers.
    I'm good at maintaining, though.
    But it is to the point that it is now or never for me to lose weight or when it actually becomes a serious health problem.
  • MWMstr17
    I'm switching to maintenance next term, and generally thinking of a cheat day per week. That's essentially a cheat dinner out with drinks for me. I'm with you on sodium, and have written off many frozen meals I really like, but they're 30%-plus on sodium. Some as high as 45%. For the holidays, I try everything made, but try to limit portions. One big plate, but no second plate, etc.
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    @bradkcrew I'm the same, it's not about indulging for the day, I've been known to continue indulging once I start, often for the same reason @brandi_84 mentions: waste not, want not. The smaller portion thing makes a lot of sense. We had a birthday celebration not long ago and I indulged way more than I intended and I was so miserable and my stomach hurt and I wanted to vomit. I just didn't care for that at all, and it was a good lesson learned.

My real dragon to slay isn't just Thanksgiving Day. The holiday parties are already starting here. We had a Halloween party yesterday at work, there's another one this weekend, and then November 15th begins the Thanksgiving season around here. Work parties, Friendsgiving dinners, Thanksgiving with the extended families... I'm literally having five Thanksgiving dinners this year. I'm considering bringing fruit platters and healthy side dishes to most of them as a contribution just so there are reasonable options for me to eat. I can survive one Thanksgiving meal, but five big indulgences might just train my tummy to tolerate those massive meals again and I'm also at the now or never point.

@MWMstr17 Healthy Choice makes a lot of meals with reasonable sodium levels. I'm totally with you on ditching many frozen meals, it's appalling how much sodium is in them!
  • MWMstr17
    edited October 2021
    Been a tough ten days with family here until yesterday. Got leaves up and seed down, and went to gym for cardio.
    Gonna get back to a full gym day tmrw.

In general, I think moderation works better mentally than deprivation, so tasting everything without over-doing it seems a workable compromise. If one views it as a day or three out of the whole year, then it's survivable no matter what havoc it wreaks on our choices. Even over the 40 days from Nov 20 to NYE, the damage from three no-worry days is limited if the other 37 days are tracked and under-calories. And some exercise is achieved.

@hippysprout It's tough to exercise that type restraint so often, so I'd agree with bringing some better choices. Then perhaps just accept that you're going to enjoy 1-2 nice meals without guilt, and be more restrained for the non-essential food bombs that come your way. When people bring doughnuts to the office, I usually tell myself "I don't eat doughnuts" and walk away. It's easier than thinking "I'd like one, but I better not."
  • MWMstr17
    That's awesome! Congrats on your progress.
  • MWMstr17
    bradkcrew wrote: »
    Realistically my weight loss is going to slow down because I am close to maintenance, but I will shoot for 2 pounds down by Term 37 weigh in.

My wife and I "debate" this all the time. I'm with you, in that I think the first XX pounds are prolly easier than the last XX pounds. She's more "it's a formula, and if you're doing the same, correct things, it is just as easy to lose 2# per week."

We hear all the time "the last XX pounds are the hardest to lose." IMO, the body and it's weight-maintenance process is pretty complicated, and I could see cells and hormones, etc., changing a lot as body composition changes.

So, whaddyathink? Actually physically harder, or do people typically relax after some success and stop doing the things necessary to keep losing 2# per week?

Ever read anything scientific on this topic?
  • bradkcrew
    MWMstr17 wrote: »
    bradkcrew wrote: »
    Realistically my weight loss is going to slow down because I am close to maintenance, but I will shoot for 2 pounds down by Term 37 weigh in.

My wife and I "debate" this all the time. I'm with you, in that I think the first XX pounds are prolly easier than the last XX pounds. She's more "it's a formula, and if you're doing the same, correct things, it is just as easy to lose 2# per week."

We hear all the time "the last XX pounds are the hardest to lose." IMO, the body and it's weight-maintenance process is pretty complicated, and I could see cells and hormones, etc., changing a lot as body composition changes.

So, whaddyathink? Actually physically harder, or do people typically relax after some success and stop doing the things necessary to keep losing 2# per week?

Ever read anything scientific on this topic?

Honestly, I haven't found it to be any more difficult as time has passed/pounds have shed, and I will be coming up on 7 months next week of continual week after week weight loss. So, from my personal experience plateaus are not inevitable, and lowered metabolism/starvation mode from prolonged low calorie intake are also debatable theories. I do assume my weight loss will taper because I have been increasing my calories gradually, and have no idea how much body fat I actually have left.

I have read/watched so many so called expert opinions and every time something sounds reasonable I hear something else that debunks it and sounds equally as reasonable. Bottom line there is no cut and dry truth and what is scripture today might be considered a crazy fad next year.
  • kylielynn314
    kylielynn314 Posts: 4,401 Member
    edited October 2021
    I wonder too if there are differences depending on gender, ie is it more likely for a guy to "be able to" maintain a steady loss where women tend to plateau more?
    Or maybe I just hope that. Lol