After surgery regain

Options
slowerbutqwik
slowerbutqwik Posts: 120 Member
Tell me your thoughts and experiences..... I live in fear of regain!

Replies

• spangadora
    spangadora Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    OMG I have this fear too! It's what makes me want to weigh myself everyday. I mean, I'm not even 4 months out and I'm always worried I've already stretched the thing out!! I have to talk myself off the ledge regularly.

So I've started down a new journey of self-care/wellness with a really cool journal subscription. Monthly you get a new journal with a theme and guided pages to self-care and all of those wonderful things. I'm only on my first month but I'm loving it. It's helping me and for August the theme is Desires. One of my big desires is to be healthier. But that can mean many things... So a branch in the deeper dive is to let go of perfection. I'm so not getting this out clearly lol But so much of this is all about trying to calm my brain from obsessing and worrying. This ongoing fear of regaining is in there and I am trying to let it go...

I'll add on here as/if we all keep discussing.
  • slowerbutqwik
    Options
    Oh yes, please keep adding, as I believe we all have such similar fears and need to overcome them. This journey is so much more than just losing weight, eating less, eating better etc.
    I would be so interested to continue these discussions.
  • spangadora
    Options
    Along with the fear of regaining I am still worried I'm losing too slow and already doing damage/stretching the new stomach out. I can't stop!! I just keep worrying!
  • slowerbutqwik
    Options
    spangadora wrote: »
    Along with the fear of regaining I am still worried I'm losing too slow and already doing damage/stretching the new stomach out. I can't stop!! I just keep worrying!

I hear you! Fear and worry seem to be ever present. Every bite
    I put in my mouth I'm afraid I'm stretching my new pouch, especially as appetite begins to return at about 7 months.
  • krisbradley08
    krisbradley08 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Spangadora, thank you for sharing this, I just got my sleeve today, and I was weighing every day before the surgery. Because, I wanted to make sure I wasn't gaining while on the two week liquid diet. So, i also am concerned about a few months down the road when I am eating real foods.
  • spangadora
    Options
    I had a great post op Ed session with my doctor's nutritionist yesterday and one of the thing we talked about was my worry over stretching my new stomach and regain. It's common and she was very reassuring that as long as we don't consistently overeat, the risk is minimal at most of stretching things out again and thus regaining.

I'm currently visiting my parents and my mom had a reun y gastric bypass in 2004. She has regained a lot of weight but she also consistently overeats, eats junk etc... Just last night she not only over ate but scarfed it all in. She was in pain and struggling to keep it in for a while and in typical fashion for her she said "I always do this..." As if she has no control. Its a big issue for her in many ways not just eating. But that's a whole other thing beyond this haha.

The big thing to remember is eat as balanced as you can with small bites and mindful consumption. Listen to you body, it will tell you and listening will keep you in the right fullness zone. I'm using my mom's experience to impress upon myself how to eat not just what.
  • slowerbutqwik
    Options
    spangadora wrote: »
    I had a great post op Ed session with my doctor's nutritionist yesterday and one of the thing we talked about was my worry over stretching my new stomach and regain. It's common and she was very reassuring that as long as we don't consistently overeat, the risk is minimal at most of stretching things out again and thus regaining.

I'm currently visiting my parents and my mom had a reun y gastric bypass in 2004. She has regained a lot of weight but she also consistently overeats, eats junk etc... Just last night she not only over ate but scarfed it all in. She was in pain and struggling to keep it in for a while and in typical fashion for her she said "I always do this..." As if she has no control. Its a big issue for her in many ways not just eating. But that's a whole other thing beyond this haha.

The big thing to remember is eat as balanced as you can with small bites and mindful consumption. Listen to you body, it will tell you and listening will keep you in the right fullness zone. I'm using my mom's experience to impress upon myself how to eat not just what.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this! I live in fear every day of my life of overeating and stretching my stomach, and regain! Every. Single. Day. My one year surgiversarry is approaching and I'm irrational sure I'm going to suddenly be back up the 110 I've lost! I need these words seared into my brain. ❤️❤️♥️
  • Wildkat781
    Wildkat781 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am struggling hard with this right now, I am fighting regain. I am barely winning, but my head is NOT in the right place. I am 16 months out, 109 lost from surgery, 193 from HW and about another 100 to go
  • slowerbutqwik
    Options
    Wildkat781 wrote: »
    I am struggling hard with this right now, I am fighting regain. I am barely winning, but my head is NOT in the right place. I am 16 months out, 109 lost from surgery, 193 from HW and about another 100 to go

Head Games!! Am I right?! It's so good to hear I'm not the only one struggling with these horrivle mind games.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Some will regain some of us won't.

Only my opinion. Take whats useful and ignor the rest.

You can use the fear of regain to stay on track. Know yourself. What are your old behaviors that cause weight gain.

Weigh yourself. Don't let a small gain turn into a major gain. Get back on plan and work things back down.

No shame in a large weight gain. Contact your team if you feel out of controll. Stay connected with a bariatric support group.