What's your swimming routine?

frankwbrown
frankwbrown Posts: 12,916 Member
Do you swim for fitness or recreation or both?
Do you have a regular routine?
What benefits do you get from swimming?

Replies

• Cathy2857
    Cathy2857 Posts: 3 Member
    I guess you could say that I swim for fitness and for stress relief. I try and swim 60 minutes or more at a time and swim laps continuously. I also try to get to the pool 3 to 5 days a week. I would say that my biggest benefit is stress-related and cardiovascular. I laughingly say that I am the fittest fat senior citizen I know. Not my knees or hips, they are not thrilled with me these days, but cardiovascularly I think I am in great shape. If my blood pressure would only catch up.
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,916 Member
    I am the same. I swim laps continuously, at a fairly constant pace, usually for 60+ minutes, 3-5 times a week. I'm not a fast swimmer, compared to many, so I'll swim ~2,000-2,200 yards in around 66-77 minutes.

I've definitely gotten cardio benefits from my swimming. My resting heart rate has dropped quite a bit over the past 16 months that I've been swimming. And I've definitely benefitted from fat-burning. I've lost a lot of weight swimming, so I am now able to walk 2-3 miles a day, where a quarter mile walk around the block used to be too much.

Swimming is definitely a stress reliever. I have a waterproof mp3 player so I can listen to soothing music as I swim. Sometimes though, I just swim in silence. It's like a type of moving meditation.

Keep swimming, and burn more calories than you consume, and eventually your hips and knees will thank you. :+1: