Introductions!

Options
13»

Replies

• donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 3,016 Member
    Options
    Jana_2020 wrote: »
    Hello to new & old members. I've been a "closet" member of the UAC sine June 2020. By closet, I mean not being active in the group, not participating much, keeping to myself. However since I found the UAC, my goal has been to be a successful, contributing member at Maintenance. My journey has been more about learning why I can't lose the weight (emotional binge eater) and then learning why I do it, what my triggers are, and how to replace the behavior. I only made the Winner's Circle once: June 2021, and I will be in the October Winner's Circle this month. This last month is the one that I feel like I'm finally starting to apply the strategies I've been learning and that they could be sustainable for the long term. I'm also ready to embrace the community. I guess I felt like a failure at something that seemed to come so easily to others. As time has gone on, I've realized that all of us have in the past, or in the present, struggled. And that it's all part of the journey to eventually being successful. So going forward my goal is to be a Champion: showing up every day. Yes I want to be in the Winner's Circle, but I need to show up and be accountable all the other months.

U got this and u are not alone! I can very much relate to ur struggles and I remember a year ago wen I joined I thought I was the only 1 that struggled with emotional eating but over time I learnt I was not the only 1. It sounds like ur making some real head way and alto every day can be a hard for us all.. it also gets a tad bit easier too. Stay strong u got this!!! Xo
  • donna25trinity
    edited November 2021
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    Hello, all.

I dropped off the face of UAC (and MFP itself) back in March of this year. But I am back. Today (Oct 30) I put in the walking that was earned while my fitbit was recharging. Tomorrow (or maybe tonight's supper, but not brunch as it wasn't weighed" I start weighing and logging food again.

My goal for this month is to become a Champion,

Re-establish habits.
    The daily logging and getting steps in.
    Gather data.

I have given myself a "close to what maintenance calories would be" daily goal to start with, so as to encourage myself to "stay within limits" ... and take it from there.

So awesome to see u back. Xo
  • donna25trinity
    Options
    pamjsa wrote: »
    Hi all! I've been taking a break from the UAC since last summer and my weight has remained stable, but this Halloween season has proven to me that I need greater accountability over the holidays. So, I'm back!

I also need a measure of support for my own well-being because, in addition to working full-time as a professor, I'm a caregiver for my husband Mike. He was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease in 2018 (early onset--he's just 57), and his illness has progressed more quickly than any of his doctors predicted. At this point, he's retired on disability. Taking care of him is a full-time job on its own--so when you add work to the mix, taking care of me often slips through the cracks. But that's why I'm here.

Yay ur back!!! We hve missed u! Xo
  • donna25trinity
    Options
    This will be my third month in a row doing UAC.

Here is a little info about me:
    *I'm 61 years old
    *I've been married 34 yrs, we have 2 sons ages 27 and 30
    *I've been a breast cancer survivor since 1999 (I was 39 when diagnosed)
    *I've been a runner since 2007 (at the age of 47)
    *Highest non-pregnancy weight - 175
    *Lowest adult weight - 125 (not sustainable for me!)
    *Was a Weight Watchers member from 2003 to 2014(?) ( I joined at 148 lbs and in 6 months I was down to 128 and Lifetime, but couldn't sustain that weight for very long)
    *I've been on MFP since 2013
    *My weight tends to fluctuate between 135 and 141, usually closest to 138.
    *I would like to get down to around 133 lbs and then work on MAINTAINING 133-135 lbs.

September 1st weight - 138.6
    October 1st weight - 136.0
    October 31st weight - 135.4

I have had bouts of bingeing/compulsive eating in the past but over the years I have been able to get it under better control so that it only happens on the rare occasion. Last night I gave in to temptations and ate way too much Halloween candy. Since I was already out of the Winner's Circle for October the >:) voices in my head said I might as well pig out one last time before the new month of UAC starts. :# I am going to avoid the scale a couple of days but normally weigh every morning. :blush:

Dw most of us hve been there! November will be ur month for sure!!! Xo
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    davert123 wrote: »
    Hi I'm Dave. Ive spent the last couple of months ramping up my activity but I haven't been logging. I'm dropping weight but I know Ill have more success tracking everything and I know in the past this group has really helped. Good luck everyone :)

Welcome back Dave @davert123 . We've missed you as well! :smile:
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,061 Member
    Options
    Hello to everyone — those new and those continuing with this really supportive group and its deceivingly challenging three simple rules.

I am Julie and live on the prairies in Canada with my husband and our 14 month old black standard poodle Beauregard. We have one adult daughter who lives with her partner 2.5 hours drive north of us. November will be my fourth month on both MFP and in UAC. I am so grateful for this group and each of the people who make it so supportive.

I am recently ”semi-retired” and still undecided if I will stay that way once/if COVID becomes a more predictable experience. I transitioned out of my senior executive leadership role by first using up four years of unused vacation and other banked time to stay away from work through the summer and early fall. That was the first “idle” period in my adult life 😳 and it was so much harder than I had ever imagined — which was the proof (to me) that maybe I need to do more of this. During my extended break I made my own health and well-being the focus. I now have some good new routines, habits, and intentions. I have confirmed that I won’t return to that workplace, and I am in no rush to figure out “what’s next”. I will keep my professional commitments until my national board and international standards committee terms expire in March 2022. The decision to exit that workplace had been weighing on me for two and a half years. I feel so much better now that it is “done and dusted”.

I am grateful to this UAC challenge group and another challenge group on MFP that helps me build healthy habits.

Onwards!
    Julie
    🥰
  • bookieNJ
    bookieNJ Posts: 3,613 Member
    Options
    Hi this is Mary. This is my fourth month of UAC. Not sure if I will make it to winners circle but really trying hard. Trying to save my two remaining pass days for Thursday and Friday of thanksgiving.
  • Jana_2020
    Jana_2020 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all returning and new members.
    Thnx @donna25trinity for the words of encouragement.
    And what a great tip you shared @Mrs_Hoffer, will be adding that to my list of tips and tricks.
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,135 Member
    Options
    Mrs_Hoffer wrote: »
    Also, sometimes, when I'm on the verge of eating something that I KNOW will put me OVER my calories for the day, I will put it into my food diary for THE NEXT DAY (right then!) and tell myself that I can ABSOLUTELY have it TOMORROW..... and then build the rest of my (tomorrow) meals and daily calories AROUND that item! It makes it easier to walk away from it TODAY and LOOK FORWARD to having it tomorrow!

@biketheworld might know but I think this is something Half Size Me recommended on a recent podcast as well.

Whatever the client wanted she delayed a day. But then she also taught her brain to trust her by following through on having that item.

This strategy reminded me of that, and I think it's a great one!

We're a product of the things we do most often, so these tiny mind shifts end up adding up to big results!
  • Caroline_slowandsteady
    Options
    Hi,
    This is my third month doing the UAC and I have found it very helpful!
    I am 41 years old and have 2 kids ages 9 and 5. I have been working mostly from home since the pandemic, but I do go out and meet with farmers and walk around farms for work 1-2 times per week.

My weight loss history is that shortly after college I decided to do weight watchers to lose the 25 pounds I'd gained in college (my college had really delicious but not so healthy food). It taught me a lot about nutrition and I gained the weight quite easily in 6 months or so, and then kept it off (by weighing myself every day and counting calories whenever I exceeded a certain weight) until I got pregnant at age 31.

During my pregnancy I was super sick all the time, and the only way to keep from vomiting constantly was to eat constantly and the only things I could eat was white food - pizza, milkshake, cookies. I gained over half my body weight. It was dramatic. I wanted to lose it as soon as I could but I couldn't really put in the effort required with a young kid, then infertility treatment, then a second pregnancy, then second young kid.

So finally 2.5 years ago when I had a 7 year old and a 3 year old I switched jobs and took 2 weeks of between the two jobs and did kind of a reset of my health. I started a workout program (MommaStrong) 15 minutes most mornings and also started a new eating plan to lose weight.

I lost weight for about a year just watching what I ate. Then I plateaued. In February 2021 I joined MFP and started counting calories in hopes of losing more weight. I lost a few more pounds and then plateaued. A few months ago I started the UAC and the accountability and coaching and focus has really helped me lose a few more pounds.

I am not sure what my goal weight is. I've lost 25 pounds so far and feel much better for that, but I do want to lose just a bit more. I am 12.5 - 17.5 pounds away from my pre-pregnancy maintenance weight range. but I was much younger then and not sure that is realistic or necessary anymore. I think this I am going to try hard for 6 more months or so and see where that gets me. I know maintenance is going to be the real struggle long-term, and I don't really see the point in losing weight that I am just going to regain.

I've really enjoyed the community and thoughtfulness of the UAC group. I've been inspired and learned so much. I am looking forward to another month!
  • MizSpiffy
    MizSpiffy Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Kay. Need to lose 40 pounds. I joined the November challenge but haven't participated yet. Am trying to get my head around all the changes I need to make. My drinking has gotten way out of hand. I seem to have completely quit going to Pilates (used to do reformer 2x a week, mat work at home almost daily.... hard to do when feeling miserable in the morning) And I'm sitting a lot more since the swimming pool is closed and gardening season is over and I'm crafting and creating a lot for Christmas gifts. I hope it's ok that I don't give 100% to meet all the UAC goals every day. My goal for now is to be successful at 2 out of 3 every day. Going head first into all 3 is too daunting right now. I've been trying to keep up with all your posts which are very inspiring, but again, a habit I need to work on. Hope you'll let me stay in the group because I need inspiration!!!!! And you all are VERY INSPIRING!!!
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,371 Member
    Options
    Hey, Kay.

The biggest gift this group can offer is company on the way to self-awareness. We have a stated "TRY to do" set of three things, but you are NOT penalized or eliminated if you don't make it. You just don't get your name on a list on Day 1 of the next month.

Some people faithfully make the attempt, then show up every day here to report Y/N on those three things, and it STILL takes them a year or more to get to the Winner's Circle. We call them the Champions!

Just show up. Report in. Ask for opinions and strategies, then go away and adapt to whatever YOUR Current Reality is.

You DON"T need to be already able to do everything at once.

So dial back! Pick ONE THING you CAN do .... like - once you read the FAQs and realize how flexible the definition of Intentional Exercise is .... pick something that you LIKE to do and do that - break it up into three or more mini-sessions if you want - they don't HAVE to be high-calorie burners, you just have to be moving on purpose. Stretching or range of motion movements or walk in place during tv show commercials.

The separate habits can be strengthened separately. Keep tabs of how many days you DID manage to meet EACH of the three , and next month try to improve each one.

Friend me if you would like, or anyone else in the group you see posting who you feel would best either inspire you or have common roadblock / interests.

I'll be watching for you. Hope to see you regularly!
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Options
    Most excellently said @BMcC9 !! Seriously. And thanks for stepping in and answering MizSpiffy's post. I was unavailable most of yesterday and I ALWAYS appreciate when others take the time to answer questions here. Thanks again! :wink:

@MizSpiffy I agree 100% with what BMcC9 told you above. We're so very glad to have you! I spent my first month back on MFP just trying to get back into the habit of logging.... I didn't worry about staying under any goal. The idea of logging every single bite was daunting to me, yet I knew I had to tackle it. As far as exercise, walking is my exercise of choice, and I make it a goal to do a minimum of at least 20 mins per day. We do hope that you'll stick around.... and there's NO JUDGMENT in this group if you take more Pass Days than you feel like you 'should'. I think that a great many of us have been there!
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Options
    Hello Donna! @Slimpossible007 It's good to have you back again! Hopefully your back injury is much better now.