What was your wake up call?

Options
I am definitely a 50+woman!! Over 50 yrs old and over 50+ lbs to lose. My wake up call came a little over a week ago when my daughter, her fiance and myself were grilling and discussing plans for their upcoming wedding. I began to experience what I thought was indigestion. Yep!! you got it right... was the onset of a major heart attack. Luckily my future son-in-law is a police officer and recognized the symptoms immediately and took action. I was rushed to the ER where I met the Emory/Piedmont Cardiac team who immediately took me into the Cardiac Cath Lab where it was discovered that the RCA (Right Coronary Artery) which supplies the lungs, bloodstream and other vital body systems with re-oxygenated blood was totally blocked. The amazing team was able to reopen the artery to 100% using 2 stents. I never had a symptom.

To me the most important part of this is how this has changed how I view life, and my choices. I had my last cigarette and ate my last thoughtless hamburger about 10 min before this happened. Now some 10+ days after this event feeling that getting a clear bill of health; no residual heart disease and lungs seem clear and unremarkable, is nothing short of one amazing miracle!!

Please share with me your moment of realization and the changes you are making in your life along the way. The support of others around me is going to go a very long way to make the rest of my life.... the best of my life. Anxious to hear from others!!

Replies

• BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    sorry no one has replied.

some of the groups for older ppl do not seem to have much acitivity,
    but,
    here are a few where if you post, you DO get replies:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/337-woman-of-a-certain-age

or
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/523-near-or-post-menopausal-group
    or
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/301-50-something-and-fabulous-

Here is one for heart patients, but, it is not super active, just occasionally active (there MIGHT be other heart groups, too):
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3800-heart-attack-survivors

that said,
    for me, the wake up call came long after it should have, a big life change, and moving, helped me "snap out it"
    with "it" being some slug-phase i went into during mentalpause when i developed a heart valve problem, or rather, when an existing valve problem got much worse.
    now, i feel an ever growing hope, and determination growing in me, although i am very new at this change, i feel certain i WILL get there, back to healthier life again.

AND KUDOS ON YOUR DECISION TO BECOME HEALTHIER!!! Not all heart attack victims DO make changes, but YOU ARE, so good on you!!:bigsmile:
  • healthyformeanMona
    Options
    I have had so many "wake up calls." I hope this is the last one! I noticed I am not as focused at my work, not as motivated at home, not as energetic in relationships, not as positive with my kids, just all around not as good as I want to be. I am tired of feeling my clothes getting tighter, thinking either I have to buy a new wardrobe or lose weight. I choose the healthy option--lose the weight. I have only been on MFP 5 days, but so far, I love the tracking and accountability and the friends encouragement and interaction. I have invited some others from my area here in ND.
  • healthyformeanMona
    Options
    I am definitely a 50+woman!! Over 50 yrs old and over 50+ lbs to lose. My wake up call came a little over a week ago when my daughter, her fiance and myself were grilling and discussing plans for their upcoming wedding. I began to experience what I thought was indigestion. Yep!! you got it right... was the onset of a major heart attack. Luckily my future son-in-law is a police officer and recognized the symptoms immediately and took action. I was rushed to the ER where I met the Emory/Piedmont Cardiac team who immediately took me into the Cardiac Cath Lab where it was discovered that the RCA (Right Coronary Artery) which supplies the lungs, bloodstream and other vital body systems with re-oxygenated blood was totally blocked. The amazing team was able to reopen the artery to 100% using 2 stents. I never had a symptom.

To me the most important part of this is how this has changed how I view life, and my choices. I had my last cigarette and ate my last thoughtless hamburger about 10 min before this happened. Now some 10+ days after this event feeling that getting a clear bill of health; no residual heart disease and lungs seem clear and unremarkable, is nothing short of one amazing miracle!!

Please share with me your moment of realization and the changes you are making in your life along the way. The support of others around me is going to go a very long way to make the rest of my life.... the best of my life. Anxious to hear from others!!
  • healthyformeanMona
    Options
    A quote I heard, "The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now." Sorry I don't know who said it, but I can relate. :smile:
  • healthyformeanMona
    Options
    A quote I heard, "The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now." Sorry I don't know who said it, but I can relate. :smile:
  • melanieclark777
    melanieclark777 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Doc said I was going to have heart attack in 2012