Keto supplement question

Options
I got Nature’s Way complete multivitamins for keto. It includes MCT oil. Does this mean I don’t need to add any MCT to my diet? Also, got myself low carb electrolytes, can I have this during my fasting period? Or will it trigger a insulin response? ov5v7czo1abj.jpeg
ibl9q16dcamp.jpeg

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Since the Nature's Way website for this vitamin states "Should only be used under medical or dietetic supervision", I will suggest you discuss your questions with the medical professionals who prescribed/suggested the vitamins.

On the other hand though this is not medical advice...MCT Oil is by no means a requirement for a common ketogenic diet for weight loss.
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I agree. I've been eating ketogenic for 2 months, have lost over 20 pounds and have never once ingested MCT oil. Don't waste your money. Just eat at around 20 grams of carbs, keep logging your foods daily, and you'll get there!
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Oh, and anything that has calories will break your fast, so if you do take anything that has calories, wait until you are ready to break your fast. I also do a 16:8 IF and occasionally bump it up to 18:6. Water only until I am ready to break fast. Usually around 9 am.
  • mewmew1234
    mewmew1234 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I’ve been doing keto for a long time, so I am kind of resuming after having a baby. The last time I lost a lot of hair as I got to my goal weight. Apparently a lack of supplements was the issue, as per Dr Berg’s videos. Totally swear by intermittent fasting! Did a few 24 hour ones recently, and planning another one tomorrow eek
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    Did your doctor tell you that you needed to add nutrition when you are on Keto?

I ask, because most people starting LC, tend to be moving from a less nutritious diet, to LC. They never supplemented before, but for some reason, start without any prompting from their doctor.

After a decade of mostly LC.. with cheats of course, but Takins Induction, Keto, and now Carnivore.. not ONCE has my doctor ever said I was deficient in any nutrient or vitamin.

That is likely due to there being a healthy range, and the RDA is probably padded some. In blood tests, they simply measure how much is in your blood. They don't care if you hit the RDA.

Some Vitamins I get 200-300% of my RDA, and others only 65%, and a few I get 25%, but NONE of them are an issue according to my doctor, and I have no symptoms of deficiency.. trust me, I was concerned as well.

It's not that hard to hit your RDA's on KETO.. without trying, you are probably healthier than when you were eating a regular diet, and did you worry about supplementing then?

I think you need to stop listening to people who tell you that you need these things, unless your doctor tells you that you have a problem, and then they will prescribe the supplements you need.

Manufacturers are using the idea that LC is less nutritious than the normal diet people at, to sell products, which are not needed. Yes, some nutrients are easier to find on the diet recommended, but be honest.. are most people eating this diet, as their doctor intended? I certainly did not, and I didn't get the nutrition possible on that diet.

So when I started Atkins, under 20 g a day of carbs, my vegetable intake went way up. I couldn't remember the last time I had any vegetables or fruit at that point. I ate cereal, sandwiches, fast food, chocolates, and lots of pop.

Let's not compare Keto to the best case scenario of what your doctor recommends.. compare it to reality.. what you actually ate. If anything, your need for supplementation is probably down, not up. That isn't something you will be able to see by reading labels though.. 90% of the nutrients are not on a nutrition label. That is why you should ask your doctor to run tests, and SEE if you need ANY supplementation, before starting them.

MCT oil in particular is sketchy. It's not in foods we regularly eat.. without commerce, a person in America wouldn't be drinking goat's milk, or coconut. So we are here, and only in the past 100 years, been able to get these MCT products, yet without them, we aren't healthy? Of course not.

How about benefits.. appetite control, fat & nutrient intake, weight loss, extra energy, reduced inflammation.. all of these are done, simply by being in ketosis.. any fat, helps us absorb Vitamins A,D,E & K.. so adding butter to some green beans will do that. Butter does have some MCT's, as does cheese, but you don't actually NEED MCT's.. not from coconut oil, or pills..

Just eat keto FOOD, not supplements or the crap products they sell, to profit off of you.. that will lead to weight loss, you will get plenty of fats, less inflammation, extra energy after the first 2-3 weeks, and if you are low enough in carbs.. what you should be worried about, you will produce ketones, and experience appetite control.

Your body starts consuming fat, and when dietary fat runs out, it breaks down you body fat.

I have lost 40 lbs. in the past 54 days, meaning that on top of my 2,600 calories, I have eaten 40 lbs. of my fat ( x 3500 calories each pound ). Breaking down fats produces ketones, but if I am now using my stored fat, I will never be truly hungry, since I have at least another 75 lbs. of fat on me.. that's 262, 500 calories, if I ever need more food.. on top of what I eat each day. That is why I have appetite control.

These are all expensive scams.. just eat meat, pork, fish, fowl, fats, veggies, nuts, seeds, berries and acceptable fluids, and enjoy.

Skip all the Keto products, and only supplement if your doctor tells you to.. the rest is just wasted money, which you should be using on real food, which is full of nutrition.

• aishmartin
    aishmartin Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can use the electrolytes during fasting.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options

Just a note here: RDA's for vitamins were set out when they finally figured out what the absolute MINIMUM was so you don't get deficiency diseases like rickets, pellagra, scurvy, beriberi, osteomalacia, etc. That doesn't mean you will be at your optimal levels if you hit the 100% of RDA. Check things out with your doctor preferably one who knows something more than what they learn during an average 23.9 hours of nutritional training during med school (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2430660/ .) Most North Americans do not get enough magnesium or Vit D in their diets, here's a National Institutes of Health journal article as an example: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5786912/

Unless you are specifically targeting brain health and possible dementia reversal or status quo, you shouldn't need added MCT, it's just more calories and fat. Some cultures do get a lot of MCT, depending on what they eat so it's not that it is a random isolated nutrient, but does it really need to be added as a supplement in your case?