Options
Hi I am Sandra from California born and raised. I was diagnosed with T 1.5 March 2013 my A1c at the time was 14 and my B/S 500 my Dr. at the time put me on Metformin only which didn't bring down my B/S much. I got a new doctor and she put me on insulin Humulin N and R plus Metformin
my A1c now is between 7.1 & 7.5
I am following the diabetic diet it is hard to keep meals at 45 carbs and snacks at 15 but I need to do it.

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options

My numbers were close to those at diagnosis. I followed the Diabetic Association diet they gave me at the doctor's office, and it did not work very well for me. I found MyFitnessPal and started trying to track reactions to things. The important thing is to have a diet/meds combo that is working for you.

• judyvalentine10
    judyvalentine10 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was using the Diabetes CAnada diet recommendations. Pretty much the same as the American Diabetes Association. It is a little difficult to get used to, but it can be done. If you eat more veggies instead of simple carbs, the carbs per meal will fall into the recommended amounts. But, it takes time to really get the hang of it.
    When you calculate your carbs, do you subtract the fibre amounts. If you eat higher fibre carbs, you may find it easier to stay within the recommended amounts.
    I don't do that, but it is what 'they' suggest.
    Also, I bought a divided plate. Half veggies, 1/4 protein, 1/4 starch. It does help.