Changing Tastebuds?

Options
Hi everyone.

I've been going strong or about 2 months now (down 12 lbs yay me) and I've noticed my tastebuds are changing. Sweet things taste different. I no longer enjoy my morning coffee with sweetener. I put a little pizza sauce on my low carb pizza last week and it was so sweet I couldn't eat it! This is unheard of, for me! Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,348 Member
    Options
    Yes I have experience that ... Everything was tasting so sweet .... it does go away though
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options

Wait til you try carrots again, they still taste like they've been dipped in sugar to me after over 8 years of LC. :)

• CARoberts73
    CARoberts73 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Well, here is a thing, kind of TMI but.....my pee smells.....meaty? Like roasted meat? Consequently, I'm really turned off by meat at this point. So, I think I'm getting there. 🤢

• NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options

Oooh! Maybe I should try eating carrots! I've never really liked the taste before unless it was mixed in a soup or stew.

• itzcath
    itzcath Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Well, here is a thing, kind of TMI but.....my pee smells.....meaty? Like roasted meat? Consequently, I'm really turned off by meat at this point. So, I think I'm getting there. 🤢

You want to smell like pancakes? Try eating fenugreek. It makes your urine and sweat smell like maple syrup. Mmm syrup.
  • CARoberts73
    CARoberts73 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    itzcath wrote: »

You want to smell like pancakes? Try eating fenugreek. It makes your urine and sweat smell like maple syrup. Mmm syrup.

Yes! LOL. Because maple syrup, while delicious, I can do without, right now. Meat is kind of a staple. :D I'll go get some of that!
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    I eat Carnivore, and once I stopped eating any sweet foods, like fruits, or vegetables.. I found that the meat I ate tastes a lot different, and much saltier.

By removing the overly sweet things, you start to notice that many other foods have natural sugars, which you can now taste, because your tastebuds aren't being bombarded with ADDED sugar.. so if you cook veggies extra, like green beans, they actually taste sweet. Never mind fruit, which in truth is nature's dessert. You are finally tasting the actual food you eat, not the added flavors, salt, and sugar, and then when you have something processed, whether salty sandwich meat on a salad, or tomato paste on something, you taste the added sugar and salt they use so it can sit on a shelf for a long time.

You can simply blend up some whole tomatoes, with olive oil, and spices for sauce.. they are still sweet, but not overly sugary or salty, because it's just tomato paste.

Your tastebuds adapt to whatever you are eating after about 3 weeks.. so foods you used to think were bland, will now taste much better, and foods you liked, will taste too strong.

Don't worry, most of these foods, can usually be made from scratch, and be less sugary or salty.. they spoil quicker though. Just be aware that many of the foods you eat, when packaged for convenience will taste differently, and you may need to make it yourself if you want it not to be so sweet or salty.. or possibly even dilute it.
  • Vowder
    Vowder Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I've never enjoyed salads of any kind except for when I am in Keto. I only ate salads because I thought I had to. When in Keto, I love them. All of them. Can't get enough of them. I eat salads twice a day most days. When I was 300 lbs... I would never have believed that could ever be true. My whole diet is just a protein and a salad twice a day. No breakfast. And oddly... I love it.
  • beccaboo1276414
    beccaboo1276414 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Yes. Definitely! And that's a good thing! Wtg!