What to aim for?

Options
How do yall do the low carb? Do you aim for a certain number of carbs each day or do you just cut out certain foods? I don't want to do Keto so I want to make sure I am low carb but not too low. :smiley:

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    There are lots of ways to do low carb and not keto. It depends on how low you are wanting to go. Keto is less than 50g. But many do less than 75-100g and still get the benefits of low carb. Some people do just cut out breads, fruits, and starches period and don't count carbs. But others allow some of those foods, but count the carb grams to keep under the threshold. It all depends on your goals. At the end of the day, regardless of which method works best for you, you have to eat at a calorie deficit. So experiment to see which approach helps you feel best and which feels most sustainable for you.
    HTH.
  • amberisthecolorfyourenergy
    amberisthecolorfyourenergy Posts: 23 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I do 20net carbs or less. Anything more than that and I don't lose consistently. I never count calories and am down 73 lbs, so I never listen to the calorie counting thing.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I do under 100g/day...typically I'm more in the 60ish range, but if I run or just want a pasta day then I'll get right up to that 100 line...I can have whatever foods I like, it's all about keeping the portions suitably small to keep the carbs within my goal...that works for me!
  • offitgoes
    offitgoes Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I try to keep it under 20 percent carbs (I try for 15% but rarely hit that). If I am under 100 happy, under 50 thrilled!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I do low carb, not keto. I aim for 70-75 g net carbs (and 25-30 g fiber). Right now I'm actually trying to be lower on the typical day (I'm dropping to see how that affects me) but will probably have various days around 75 and occasional days in the low 100s (or even higher), given that it's December.
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    Low carb is simple. Pick a carb limit, then a protein goal.. and the rest is fat. For me, it is 20 grams of carbs, and 90 grams of protein.. and the rest is fat.

Pre-plan your menu, so you know what types of meals fit your plan, and then buy groceries for those meals.. nothing extra.

I put in my carbs & protein sources.. veggies, eggs, and meat/fish/fowl.. try to divide them equally into my 3 meals.. then I see how much is left to hit the calories I want.. based on experience.. I didn't just make up a number.. and I add butter & mayo to my meals, until I hit that calorie limit.

It's a bit more complicated, if you eat foods with a more balanced macro makeup.. all 3 macros, because then you are trying to add, and one number is too high.. just too many variables.. still possible, but harder to hit your ranges.. still stick to X amount of carbs, X amount of protein, and the rest fat though..
  • beccaboo1276414
    beccaboo1276414 Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I eat a range of 70 to 125 grams of carbs per day. I try to eat whole unprocessed foods, like fruits, veggies, sweet potato, quinoa etc, and only very rarely have processed food like toast or pasta. When I do eat the processed food, I make sure it is gluten free. Gluten free is the only way I lost weight and kept it off.
  • SaraIsZen
    SaraIsZen Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    First of all, nice to meet you, and thank you for asking this question. I started LCHF six days ago. I've lost almost 3 lbs, and I feel great. I've averaged about 70g of carbs a day. I am trying to be gentle with myself and learn as much as I can. Much luck to you!