Slow death in the forums or is it my imagination?

Options
itzcath
itzcath Posts: 94 Member
When I initially started using MFP in 2018 I frequently visited the forums and seemed to remember alot more people posting informative and helpful threads.

It seems since the update there is fewer and fewer posts. The friends I have now even commented they seldom come here . The thing is I found all my current friends in the forums.

I must admit the one thing about the update I seriously don't like is the inability to add friends easily.For me, inspiration and getting to know other people makes the journey so much more worthwhile.

Either it's my imagination or the world has given up on dieting and interaction.

What inspires you?

Replies

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,975 Member
    Options
    I've got a couple groups I'm more active in, especially since Spark People (effectively) shut down and my SP family moved here.

Not particularly active in this group as I got a lot of great information when I was first trying low carb, and pretty much got the information I needed so stopped visiting in quite so often.
  • annham
    annham Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have never used the forums before as I was using WW meetings they have moved it all online so I figured I would check this out instead. Staying connected to others on the same kind of journey is helpful.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I've been on here since 2013 and go thru more active periods when I feel like spending time on the forums chit-chatting, but also have long stretches when nothing new is happening, so not much to talk about. Since I've been a while in (sub-optimal) maintenance - meaning I've gained a bit over my preferred goal weight but it's been fairly steady for a couple years - I'm not on here as much as I could be. Also most of the health information for the past couple years has been focused on the pandemic, so I don't have any new updated studies or info to discuss with 'ma peeps' these days. Kinda sad, I know.
    Don't give up tho.
    Also since the new changes to MFP, I have no idea how to find and/or add new friends. Most of my chit-chat happens in the threads and not on my newsfeed anyhow (I don't even look at that anymore - I just head straight for Community and my Groups.)
    These days lack of inspiration is my main problem.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,955 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    I've been on here since 2013 and go thru more active periods when I feel like spending time on the forums chit-chatting, but also have long stretches when nothing new is happening, so not much to talk about. Since I've been a while in (sub-optimal) maintenance - meaning I've gained a bit over my preferred goal weight but it's been fairly steady for a couple years - I'm not on here as much as I could be. Also most of the health information for the past couple years has been focused on the pandemic, so I don't have any new updated studies or info to discuss with 'ma peeps' these days. Kinda sad, I know.
    Don't give up tho.
    Also since the new changes to MFP, I have no idea how to find and/or add new friends. Most of my chit-chat happens in the threads and not on my newsfeed anyhow (I don't even look at that anymore - I just head straight for Community and my Groups.)
    These days lack of inspiration is my main problem.

Same. I only have recently been checking the feed again. I live in the groups.
    but I'm logging again bc I've gained Covid Weight. So I'm working on that and the best way to keep your mind in the game is to immerse yourself in the game. Support, articles, podcasts, and talking low-carb shop.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Hey, @FIT_Goat good to see your comment here on the forums again. Take some time to rest a bit for your own health & sanity. I understand as I've worked many years in Security, and RCMP Volunteer groups. 92 hrs is freakin' crazy. Deep breath, this too shall pass.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Hey, @FIT_Goat good to see your comment here on the forums again. Take some time to rest a bit for your own health & sanity. I understand as I've worked many years in Security, and RCMP Volunteer groups. 92 hrs is freakin' crazy. Deep breath, this too shall pass.

I am here, just don't have time to post very often. My schedule will likely get worse before it gets better. Between school and work I am averaging 73 hours a week (some worse like this one and others a little better) not counting time studying/reading. But, the department hasn't moved me into the "No-OT" category. There was talk about it, before I started classes, but it just isn't possible with COVID. We're being hit so hard it's difficult to comprehend. We have people getting mandatory OT on a daily basis. Currently, I have Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday off. It will be a miracle if it stays that way and I don't get asked to pick up OT or mandated to take OT.

But, it's great. I am busy, and I think my wife is forgetting who I am :D , but I am loving almost every minute of it. I don't really mind the OT.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I too noticed the falloff from 2020, and yes, those FB groups and pages on keto and low carb are booming. But I come back here for the sanity and low drama these days ... nobody is trying to sell me stuff here. :) Waving to everyone who has been here since 2013 when I also joined. Hope the newer members have good results and stick around, too! Even though the new forums site seems less easy to use.
    I lost back in that first year, and now have the pandemic work from home to thank for the extra lbs I have added back. Still lc more than keto, but trying IF 16/8 most days to keep from gaining any more.
    --Cheryl, waving from Tokyo
  • baconslave
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    I too noticed the falloff from 2020, and yes, those FB groups and pages on keto and low carb are booming. But I come back here for the sanity and low drama these days ... nobody is trying to sell me stuff here. :) Waving to everyone who has been here since 2013 when I also joined. Hope the newer members have good results and stick around, too! Even though the new forums site seems less easy to use.
    I lost back in that first year, and now have the pandemic work from home to thank for the extra lbs I have added back. Still lc more than keto, but trying IF 16/8 most days to keep from gaining any more.
    --Cheryl, waving from Tokyo

2013 for me as well though I didn't really get serious and start being active and making progress until 2014

Quarantine Chub! Go. Away. Now. I hate the fluff. Want it gone yesterday. But just have to KCKO. Or Keep Calm and LC On. Whichwhatever. :wink:
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I've noticed it, too. I'm not sure if it's the new Community platform, the threads I subscribe to just have run their course, or the kids are socializing elsewhere. I'll be logging daily until I die, so I'll always stop in to see what's going on. But, yes, it's getting a little ghost-towny around here...
  • canadjineh
    Options
    @oocdc2 - but ghost towns have the best history....not like new forums, lol. Sometimes I read back on old MFP threads I commented on in times past, for a look at how far we have come. But maybe that's easier for me since I'm on a desktop when I access MFP.
    6y1fp9hazbxk.png
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    @oocdc2 - But maybe that's easier for me since I'm on a desktop when I access MFP.

I primarily use desktop only as well, my tablet for when I'm away.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    It is what you make it. The more you post the more likely others are to respond. Fitness did go out of fashion for a while in the early Covid days as gyms shut and people drifted into apathy. This is a good thread and has brought a number of responses so let's keep it going!
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I'm still here sporadically. Currently trying to reverse pandemic poundage and feel more involved. Pandemic isolation has really messed with my mind and body. I really miss the busier group times. I relied on my fitness pals and miss empathizing,
    commenting, and connecting on a daily basis. Now, it's often...crickets...
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Hi @elize7 good to see you again, keep on dropping in. I figure even if there isn't much to say, I just post a 'hello, I'm still here' sort of message and others will wave/comment back.
  • baconslave
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    I'm still here sporadically. Currently trying to reverse pandemic poundage and feel more involved. Pandemic isolation has really messed with my mind and body. I really miss the busier group times. I relied on my fitness pals and miss empathizing,
    commenting, and connecting on a daily basis. Now, it's often...crickets...

we're here! And the challenge thread gets posted by at least a few daily. I'm trying to get this place moving a bit more, but... Glad to see you. Me and the Covid Chonk are locked in a battle royale right now. :triumph: