CAPTAIN'S QUARTERS

Options

Replies

• gjaholy33
    gjaholy33 Posts: 2,626 Member
    Options
    @AB0215

I am slowly handling this pain but the sheets are updated as of today. On the winner's circle for team Slimsons Walk4today was not carried over so I put her at the last tab.
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    gjaholy33 wrote: »
    AB0215 wrote: »
    @HASWLRS
    @Krysless2
    @cmhubbard92
    @looneycatblue
    @gjaholy33

Week 5 Results:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10852494/week-4-december-results#latest

Finale Results:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10852496/grand-finale-decembers-biggest-loser#latest

And on a side note, I think this year I'm going to make a couple of changes to the rules. The spreadsheet actually does this already but I think it's a good idea to actually stick with it.

If someone doesn't weigh in the week before, they can't win for that week. This is to prevent someone from losing for 2 weeks and winning for a week when they wouldn't have normally won. That will also prevent them from winning the overall challenge for the month. The person who did win for December wouldn't have won this month if we'd have enforced that rule because they didn't weigh in for Week 1. The idea here is that we need to remain consistent week over week to lose weight in a healthy way and skipping weeks to make your weight loss bigger isn't really fair to others.

Let me know if you have any thoughts. I definitely think that we shouldn't let someone win a week who hasn't weight in the week before because they're counting a loss from 2 weeks. However, I am on the fence about the overall month winning as they did participate for the month and did still lose the weight.

I agree with you on that one. Change it to make it fair across the board or to show consistency in following the spreadsheet.

@AB0215 Hey, Ashley. Just seeing this now. Yes, I agree with you that if you did not weigh-in the week before, you should not be able to "win" the week. However, I do feel like the total weight lost for the month is still the same total, whether you reported a weight each week or not. The only exception that I can see, would be if someone didn't weigh-in in the last week of the previous month. Their starting weight for the current month is then two weeks old before they weigh-in for week #1, so in essence it could be two weeks worth of weight loss in one.
  • AB0215
    AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    @HASWLRS
    @gjaholy33
    @Krysless2
    @cmhubbard92
    @looneycatblue

@HASWLRS @gjaholy33 Thank you for your input. So we're all on the same page, if someone doesn't weigh in the week before, or weighs in too late, it won't count and they can't win for the following week. So if they weigh in after the week is posted, leave the spot blank, if they weigh in before the week is posted, it can still count even if it's late. The blank spot is what tells the spreadsheet the weigh in was too late to count.
    I am going to leave it so they can still win the month even if they missed a week because overall, they are still losing weight, but they can't miss 2 weigh in a row, that will still cause elimination.
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    @HASWLRS
    @gjaholy33
    @Krysless2
    @cmhubbard92
    @looneycatblue

@HASWLRS @gjaholy33 Thank you for your input. So we're all on the same page, if someone doesn't weigh in the week before, or weighs in too late, it won't count and they can't win for the following week. So if they weigh in after the week is posted, leave the spot blank, if they weigh in before the week is posted, it can still count even if it's late. The blank spot is what tells the spreadsheet the weigh in was too late to count.
    I am going to leave it so they can still win the month even if they missed a week because overall, they are still losing weight, but they can't miss 2 weigh in a row, that will still cause elimination.

@AB0215 I see a flaw in this logic. If someone posts a weigh-in late, but the week is already tabulated, this does not give them any advantage. In the week that was already tabulated, the spreadsheet will not register any loss or gain even if their late weigh-in does, and in the following week, if we enter this late weigh-in, this will be their "previous weight" so the period is not more than a week between weigh-ins, but potentially less. And a potential further complication would be if we did not enter this late weigh-in, and then they weighed in late or not at all the next week, they would have two weeks without entries in the spreadsheet and they would be removed prematurely. I don't think we need to make this complicated. Let the spreadsheet do its thing, but if the spreadsheet proclaims a winner who has missed a week, you just don't list them as the winner in your announcement.
  • AB0215
    Options
    HASWLRS wrote: »
    @HASWLRS
    @gjaholy33
    @Krysless2
    @cmhubbard92
    @looneycatblue

@AB0215 I see a flaw in this logic. If someone posts a weigh-in late, but the week is already tabulated, this does not give them any advantage. In the week that was already tabulated, the spreadsheet will not register any loss or gain even if their late weigh-in does, and in the following week, if we enter this late weigh-in, this will be their "previous weight" so the period is not more than a week between weigh-ins, but potentially less. And a potential further complication would be if we did not enter this late weigh-in, and then they weighed in late or not at all the next week, they would have two weeks without entries in the spreadsheet and they would be removed prematurely. I don't think we need to make this complicated. Let the spreadsheet do its thing, but if the spreadsheet proclaims a winner who has missed a week, you just don't list them as the winner in your announcement.

@HASWLRS The truth is, the spreadsheet is constantly tabulating so the numbers change when weights are entered, regardless of time, even after I pull the results, you can see this evidenced if you add a weight after I do the week ending, you can compare what's there to what was there when I ended the week. It's that constant tabulation that causes the spreadsheet not to know when the cut off period was, and the only way it knows a weigh in was missed is if it's missing. The big secret is the week endings are just hidden calculations until we're ready to use them, but they're already there and being tabulated as we speak. It's also why it does weird things if we don't remove people who haven't weighed in 2 weeks in a row, I learned that one the hard way.

I'm also not sure that it doesn't give them an advantage. If they didn't post a weigh in and instead did after the week is tabulated, let's say there was a gain, that does count against the team, and now it's not going to because it wasn't posted when the week ended, potentially taking that away from another team that should have won. Also if they did have a gain and didn't post it, maybe it was water weight for some reason, now we've entered the weight and they lose that water weight and then some, and since we allowed it to be entered, the spreadsheet isn't smart enough to know that it was posted late, and we'd have to track that manually and it'd be hard if there wasn't some sort of marking system and manually compare the data, so it's possible that'd take the win away from someone who didn't miss the cut off unless we had a manual system in place to prevent that.

Now, it would increase the time it takes me to do the week endings but I could mark the boxes that were empty when the week ended, I'd just have to go back and compare them against who the spreadsheet highlights as victorious, and I have no idea what sort of time implication that would have for me at the week ending, but I imagine significant if we have a lot of missing weigh ins and if that's what we all think is fair, I'm willing to put in the time needed to do it. I think the only way I could tell is if I were to highlight a box a certain color or mark it in some way and compare it to the sheet's suggested winners.
    The long part of this story is that I do not know of a formula that we can use in the spreadsheet that will somehow know that the data was entered late. The only way I know how to get it to know if something is late is to not have data to pull from, and this sheet is Craig's creation and I have to think that since he was the spreadsheet guru he'd know if there was a way to do it and have set it up that way but I don't know of any other way to do it short of doing it manually and increasing the time spent to do it, which may just be the answer.

Sorry--super long winded response but I couldn't think of another way to say what I needed to say using less words.
  • cmhubbard92
    cmhubbard92 Posts: 5,018 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    @AB0215 you can also "lock" certain cells within the spreadsheet so that only you can edit them... maybe lock a column after you post the weekly results? That may solve the amount of time you'd spend on figuring it out.

Editing to add a link on how to protect a cell or range of cells within Google sheets:

https://support.google.com/docs/answer/1218656?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop

I think your idea may work, and push people to weigh in regularly. :)
  • AB0215
    Options
    @AB0215 you can also "lock" certain cells within the spreadsheet so that only you can edit them... maybe lock a column after you post the weekly results? That may solve the amount of time you'd spend on figuring it out.

Editing to add a link on how to protect a cell or range of cells within Google sheets:

https://support.google.com/docs/answer/1218656?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop

I think your idea may work, and push people to weigh in regularly. :)

@cmhubbard92 I appreciate that. I think we're just trying to figure out what is fair in the long run. I don't want to exclude anyone, and maybe it's as simple as I set myself a new schedule, like I have been trying to do them on Sunday mornings when I have time because the reality is the next available time I have is Tuesday evening but maybe that's just the answer, push it to Tuesday instead of right away Sunday giving a little longer of a window, just in case.
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    @HASWLRS
    @gjaholy33
    @Krysless2
    @cmhubbard92
    @looneycatblue

@HASWLRS The truth is, the spreadsheet is constantly tabulating so the numbers change when weights are entered, regardless of time, even after I pull the results, you can see this evidenced if you add a weight after I do the week ending, you can compare what's there to what was there when I ended the week. It's that constant tabulation that causes the spreadsheet not to know when the cut off period was, and the only way it knows a weigh in was missed is if it's missing. The big secret is the week endings are just hidden calculations until we're ready to use them, but they're already there and being tabulated as we speak. It's also why it does weird things if we don't remove people who haven't weighed in 2 weeks in a row, I learned that one the hard way.

I'm also not sure that it doesn't give them an advantage. If they didn't post a weigh in and instead did after the week is tabulated, let's say there was a gain, that does count against the team, and now it's not going to because it wasn't posted when the week ended, potentially taking that away from another team that should have won. Also if they did have a gain and didn't post it, maybe it was water weight for some reason, now we've entered the weight and they lose that water weight and then some, and since we allowed it to be entered, the spreadsheet isn't smart enough to know that it was posted late, and we'd have to track that manually and it'd be hard if there wasn't some sort of marking system and manually compare the data, so it's possible that'd take the win away from someone who didn't miss the cut off unless we had a manual system in place to prevent that.

Now, it would increase the time it takes me to do the week endings but I could mark the boxes that were empty when the week ended, I'd just have to go back and compare them against who the spreadsheet highlights as victorious, and I have no idea what sort of time implication that would have for me at the week ending, but I imagine significant if we have a lot of missing weigh ins and if that's what we all think is fair, I'm willing to put in the time needed to do it. I think the only way I could tell is if I were to highlight a box a certain color or mark it in some way and compare it to the sheet's suggested winners.
    The long part of this story is that I do not know of a formula that we can use in the spreadsheet that will somehow know that the data was entered late. The only way I know how to get it to know if something is late is to not have data to pull from, and this sheet is Craig's creation and I have to think that since he was the spreadsheet guru he'd know if there was a way to do it and have set it up that way but I don't know of any other way to do it short of doing it manually and increasing the time spent to do it, which may just be the answer.

Sorry--super long winded response but I couldn't think of another way to say what I needed to say using less words.

@AB0215 Thank you for explaining all this. It makes more sense now; I was forgetting about the team aspect of this challenge. No, we don't want you to have to spend more time tabulating results! I am guessing it might take less time to add back a player or two that may be removed from the spreadsheet prematurely from having two blank recorded weigh-ins in a row than to implement a box marking system? Did someone question the spreadsheet's integrity and accuracy and that is why you have started this discussion? Maybe I am in the minority, but to me the challenge aspect of this group is secondary to the support system of this group. I even tend to forget that it is a competition. That might explain my weight gain.... :#
  • AB0215
    Options
    @HASWLRS
    @gjaholy33
    @Krysless2
    @cmhubbard92
    @looneycatblue

@AB0215 Thank you for explaining all this. It makes more sense now; I was forgetting about the team aspect of this challenge. No, we don't want you to have to spend more time tabulating results! I am guessing it might take less time to add back a player or two that may be removed from the spreadsheet prematurely from having two blank recorded weigh-ins in a row than to implement a box marking system? Did someone question the spreadsheet's integrity and accuracy and that is why you have started this discussion? Maybe I am in the minority, but to me the challenge aspect of this group is secondary to the support system of this group. I even tend to forget that it is a competition. That might explain my weight gain.... :#

@HASWLRS It's been questioned in the past and I have found myself in a similar position as of the last year, I need to spend less time on spreadsheets and more time exercising and it's to that end that I'm trying to find ways to reduce that time and to that end, yes it's a lot easier for me to add someone back than it would be to try to track the late weighers. When I remove someone, they're not really gone, just relocated to the bottom of the spreadsheet, hidden from view so as to not be counted in the results, so yes, to that end, it would be a looooot easier for me to add them back than to track it with marked boxes.

The honest truth is I was questioning my integrity in the last monthly winner which made me think about other aspects we don't pay as much attention to. The spreadsheet didn't want to let the person who actually won win because they did miss a single weigh in which prompted me to ask how we feel about that as a team. I think it's okay that they could still win the month as it's accumulated losses but they can't take away from someone who'd have won a week because they missed the previous week. I think I'll probably also just start doing the results on Tuesday so I can better schedule my time around it as I've also started a youtube channel and I need Monday's for editing. That should also allow for the stragglers who might forget to weigh in. I could also test out and see how flipping things around works for me, Monday afternoons TBL...Tuesday editing, but we will see. For now. I think I'll test out try this adjustment.

I am glad that my explanation helped. I was afraid it was either over explaining or maybe didn't make sense. I read it like 3 times and still wasn't sure.
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    @HASWLRS
    @gjaholy33
    @Krysless2
    @cmhubbard92
    @looneycatblue

@HASWLRS It's been questioned in the past and I have found myself in a similar position as of the last year, I need to spend less time on spreadsheets and more time exercising and it's to that end that I'm trying to find ways to reduce that time and to that end, yes it's a lot easier for me to add someone back than it would be to try to track the late weighers. When I remove someone, they're not really gone, just relocated to the bottom of the spreadsheet, hidden from view so as to not be counted in the results, so yes, to that end, it would be a looooot easier for me to add them back than to track it with marked boxes.

The honest truth is I was questioning my integrity in the last monthly winner which made me think about other aspects we don't pay as much attention to. The spreadsheet didn't want to let the person who actually won win because they did miss a single weigh in which prompted me to ask how we feel about that as a team. I think it's okay that they could still win the month as it's accumulated losses but they can't take away from someone who'd have won a week because they missed the previous week. I think I'll probably also just start doing the results on Tuesday so I can better schedule my time around it as I've also started a youtube channel and I need Monday's for editing. That should also allow for the stragglers who might forget to weigh in. I could also test out and see how flipping things around works for me, Monday afternoons TBL...Tuesday editing, but we will see. For now. I think I'll test out try this adjustment.

I am glad that my explanation helped. I was afraid it was either over explaining or maybe didn't make sense. I read it like 3 times and still wasn't sure.

@AB0215 I agree with everything you said!! Whichever day you choose to do TBL is fine with all of us, and completely at your discretion according to your time scheduling needs. Thank you, Ashley, for all you do.
  • AB0215
    edited January 2022
    Options
    @HASWLRS
    @Krysless2
    @cmhubbard92
    @looneycatblue
    @gjaholy33

I don't think I shared this, but I am actually documenting my weightloss journey (really wish I'd done that the first time) to hopefully help others, feel free to check it out (or don't if that isn't your thing), comment, share, whatever, I'm trying to help myself and others by hopefully sharing that it's not always sunshine and rainbows but it's a process.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPlYl6on2oXn-NevYDUWGYA

• cmhubbard92
    Options
    @AB0215 I love it!!! I don't have a YouTube account, so I can't comment, but that is an amazing idea! Part of me wishes I did something like this when I first started!
  • AB0215
    Options
    @AB0215 I love it!!! I don't have a YouTube account, so I can't comment, but that is an amazing idea! Part of me wishes I did something like this when I first started!

@cmhubbard92 I wish I'd done it the first time, I might have noticed that I was slipping, and it's helped me to keep pushing even though the scale didn't budge for a bit. And I don't think you have to specifically sign up for youtube, it just uses your google account if my memory serves me...but it's been a really long time since I did that so maybe I'm wrong lol
  • cmhubbard92
    edited February 2022
    Options
    @AB0215 would you be able to add my brother @jmann234 to TBBT? We were talking about the group and he would like to join us.

His weight from last Friday is 305.8
    Chosen weigh day: Friday
    Week 1 weigh in: 303.0