Thoughts on Sola Bread, Mission Low Carb, and Katalina Crunch

2»

Replies

• solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    ginamyrmel wrote: »
    I've tried Sola bread and enjoyed it, but find La Banderita Carb Counter tortillas both easier to find in stores and tastier. Side note: made fish dipped in egg, then rolled in a mixture of parmesan cheese and almond flour, then lightly sprinkled with Red Lobster Seafood Seasoning and fried in ghee. Best fish I've ever made.

I had done this with just almond flour. Will need to try with parmesan too.
  • solska
    I was just coming here to ask about Mission Carb Balance tortillas. I had one this morning, and when I went to enter it, I was stunned by the 30 carbs. I know, I know, 25 is fiber, but that number is still scary. I'm going to check ketones today and go from there. Might just do half going forward, at least until I lose some more. I don't want to muck things up this early. I'm *finally* seeing the increased energy and good feeling everyone talks about with low carb, which I've absolutely never gotten with it in the past. I think it's because I'm tracking my fat now, and making sure I'm getting enough. But....I know my brain. If something happens to stall or discourage me now, it's gonna get rough up in there. LOL.

I was wondering did you ever check if/how they effect you?
  • solska
    canadjineh wrote: »
    I get my Carbonaut from a couple of local health food stores and also one of the larger chain grocery stores here in western Canada. I wasn't sure where you are based, so I just gave you their bakery website in case it's available in your area. :D

So I finally found Carbonaut at my local Whole Foods. Yay! It's pricey but it seems worth it considering ingredients, carb amount, and texture!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    @solska did you get to try the Carbonaut bread? Not too shabby, eh? It takes me around 3 weeks to eat a loaf (I keep the slices frozen til I need a couple) so although it's pricey, it works out fairly cheap in the long run.
  • canadjineh
    We also liked the Julian Bakery Paleo-Thin Wraps (even my hubby who is not low carb or needing to be gluten free.) You can get those at Whole Foods too. DEFINITELY NOT CHEAP. But they hold together really well and just take a 15 second warming on a paper towel in the microwave before you fill them. Here's a pic of the package:
    k2y8kywh9ul8.png
  • jessetfan
    jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
    I'm not the person you asked, but some people avoid soy because it can affect hormone levels, specifically estrogen.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    jessetfan wrote: »
    I'm not the person you asked, but some people avoid soy because it can affect hormone levels, specifically estrogen.

That is a myth that just won't die.
  • jessetfan
    jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

There is some evidence that large amounts of soy can induce early puberty, so it's not a myth. If you're eating very large amounts of soy (making up a very large percentage of your calories) it can have some influence on your health.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

There is some evidence that large amounts of soy can induce early puberty, so it's not a myth. If you're eating very large amounts of soy (making up a very large percentage of your calories) it can have some influence on your health.

Just gonna drop this in here.

https://youtu.be/J1a45xbYCEA
  • canadjineh
    Re: soy....Can 1.5 billion Eastern Asians be wrong, lol. I think it's probably crap GMO soy (now called 'bioengineered') - 94% of the soy grown in the US according to the FDA - Nothing like a bit o' healthy weed killer built in to your food to disrupt the endocrine system. https://fda.gov/food/agricultural-biotechnology/gmo-crops-animal-food-and-beyond
    Just my personal opinion though.... :|
  • solska
    @solska did you get to try the Carbonaut bread? Not too shabby, eh? It takes me around 3 weeks to eat a loaf (I keep the slices frozen til I need a couple) so although it's pricey, it works out fairly cheap in the long run.

Hi @canadjineh ! I was working like crazy and wasn't on here the past couple of weeks so just seeing it. But oh my god. Yes. This bread is a dream. I tried a couple of other new "keto" breads around since and they hurt my stomach. Yes, I do wish it was cheaper but I agree that I use it less anyways and the ingredients are good quality nutrition. It doesn't brown the best but still makes a wonderful grilled cheese!
  • solska
    We also liked the Julian Bakery Paleo-Thin Wraps (even my hubby who is not low carb or needing to be gluten free.) You can get those at Whole Foods too. DEFINITELY NOT CHEAP. But they hold together really well and just take a 15 second warming on a paper towel in the microwave before you fill them. Here's a pic of the package:
    k2y8kywh9ul8.png

Thank you! I will look for these as well. I tried the egg cauliflower thins and disliked them strongly. And the La Banderita or Mission low carb ones, I just don't feel they are exactly low carb. I like tortillas for a quick pizza.
  • solska
    I have also tried Oroweat Keto bread, and Healthy Noodles from Costco. The noodles are the best lowcarb noodles I have ever had so far. The bread makes good toast and grilled cheese but not sure about ingredients or how I felt after.
    Wondering if anyone had these and measured their blood glucose after?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

I would be MUCH more concerned about the hormones in milk, fast food meats etc. than soy.

And no. The soy you eat does not really raise hormone levels. It has phytoestrogens, as do many vegetables and grains. https://www.uspharmacist.com/article/focus-on-phytoestrogens

I aim for soy phytoestrogens.

If you have concerns about soy, you should probably avoid any and all prepared foods of all kinds, because it's everywhere.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

I'm sure this myth has money behind it, but yes, I wish it could just die.