Not old/Not young/Not fat/Not thin

Options
lara1270
lara1270 Posts: 1 Member
I’m 51, post menopausal mother of 5 ranging in ages from 31 down to 6 yr old twins.
I’m 5’9” and 150# with athletic build. I used to be in the gym 2-3 hours a day 5-6 days a week and was cut. Since my twins turned 3 I’ve backed off the gym A LOT. I can’t seem to get the same motivation.
150# is fine for me if it’s muscle!! But today it’s goo.
I was a certified personal trainer but everything I’ve taught and spoke is lost to me.
Someone tell me how they turned the corner. What’s your “getting fit” theme song that pumps you up? What’s your mantra. I may need to borrow these for a while, I’ll give them back when I get my own groove back😉
Thanks for the join!!

Replies

• Happyness4me2
    Happyness4me2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Motivation can be so hard to come by. I haven't felt motivated to workout in over 3 years. Over the last 2ish years I've worked out but it's been sporadic and all over the place, and I've gained some of the weight I lost back. Right now I'm really trying to work on discipline and building healthy habits. I'm logging my intake and planning a variety of workouts throughout the week with a goal of at least doing three of them but more it's better. I'm not sure how to get motivated again but I'd be happy to cheer you on!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,982 Member
    Options
    I suck at motivation - sometimes I can be motivated (say, by an upcoming race season) but have that motivation ripped away, and out the window goes my desire to stick to what I had been working so hard at.

So, at this point, because fitness, strength, flexibility, and health ARE still important to me, I decided this week I'm just going to do what I enjoy (in my case, back to lifting again), set up a split based on my day (shorter workout on the days I have to commute), and "fitness" is on my daily critical task list in some way - and yes, some days, it's just taking the dog on a 20 minute walk or doing a short yoga video.
  • k8richly
    k8richly Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    @lara1270 you are welcome here!! your muscle memory is there and so is your motivation! It's just hidden and sounds like you are in a little slump - it won't be hard to come back though. If you've lived the adrenalin of being fit, seeing results, pride in taking care of your body, then you remember that feeling! It also sounds like you and your body have been through a lot (5 kids!? Keeping up w 6 yr old twins alone is a workout!). Your life maybe needed some attention in other areas and your body needed a rest. Doesn't mean it won't come back!

I'm 48. In my 20s I taught aerobics (no one laugh, we were the personal trainers before it was cool!) and have always been a gym rat and varsity athlete. After my 3rd kid, I got back to my fitness but it was tough. I hit a long period of injuries, with too much wine and snacks, plus sitting and working too much and suddenly I was no longer 125lbs of muscle but rather 145lbs of goo (great word). I didn't recognize myself and I figured it was just middle age and inevitable.

But then one day my pants didn’t fit again and I'd had enough so I took some super small steps. Here's what motivated me while I got back at it (all of this took 2 yrs, but I started small):
    - I joined MFP and saw what I was eating. I was fascinated by the quantities, macros, tracking etc as I'd never had to really pay attention to my intake before. I started friending people to cheer them on (you are welcome to friend me!)
    - I volunteered to be coach and trainer for my teenagers' soccer and hockey teams. I started leading their conditioning sessions and there's nothing more motivating than a bunch of fit teenage girls judging you. I have to be on the ball with ideas and drills etc.
    - I bought new running shoes and awesome workout outfits. I bought new stuff for a home gym.
    - I downloaded a ton of new kick *kitten* music for running and I update it regularly so it stays fresh. (Hapoy to share!)
    - I found some online workouts that I will actually do (never would have imagined this pre-lockdowns!). This includes finding the joy of deep stretching to avoid injuries. I am getting old after all...
    - I started powerwalking with friends instead of thinking i needed to run to get a real burn . It's actually an amazing workout if you are motoring and I get the social boost with it.
    - finally, I congratulate myself everyday for something I've done right. For example, today I didn't workout but I only took half a piece of pie for dessert, I walked the dog with my son and I shoveled heavy snow for an hour. I'm proud that I am strong and capable enough to do all of that. It's like giving myself some grace and a little pep talk at the same time. And one of my mantras is "you are stronger than you think". I think this applies to life in all sorts of ways.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing!
  • k8richly
    k8richly Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    ...and that might be the longest post in the history of MFP. Sorry to blab on! 😀