Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? yes

Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day yes

Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? yes
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    @intrinsicat
    I find it fascinating now that I have an Apple Watch that of the three rings activity app - the one I fail to complete most often is the stand ring. With the UAC activity basis getting the movement and activity rings are easy. But standing up once an hour is a challenge! And it’s so basic I’ve really tried to focus more on that which does put into perspective just how little we office folks move all day!

I also had trouble with the dozen per day and changed it to 10 which is more doable. I don't actually find that part of the circle all that useful. At least they've improved and if you're walking all day they add one. When they first came out they didn't seem to handle that. I'd be on vacation walking for hours and it gave me nothing. Before I retired I'd be in front of the computer all day and hardly get up which also caused me to miss some. And it seems very inconsistent with the reminders. I think the idea of getting up once an hour to stretch your legs is a good one.
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    Options
    Track: yes
    Calories: yes
    Exercise: yes

Pass Days: zero
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,751 Member
    Options
    05/03/2022
    I’m late reporting but it has given me a chance to read all the NEAT ideas.

Exercise – yes, bike ride, gym and cardio – and dancing!
    Tracking – yes, with estimating
    Calories – yes

We went out Saturday night – meal and dancing. I took my fitness tracker off to have a shower before going out and forgot to put it back on so I don’t know how many steps I achieved, but I was dancing for well over 30 minutes total.
    The food had to be estimated and I treated myself to dessert but it was a planned event so I had allowed myself a higher calorie goal.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,829 Member
    Options
    @intrinsicat
    I find it fascinating now that I have an Apple Watch that of the three rings activity app - the one I fail to complete most often is the stand ring. With the UAC activity basis getting the movement and activity rings are easy. But standing up once an hour is a challenge! And it’s so basic I’ve really tried to focus more on that which does put into perspective just how little we office folks move all day!

I also had trouble with the dozen per day and changed it to 10 which is more doable. I don't actually find that part of the circle all that useful. At least they've improved and if you're walking all day they add one. When they first came out they didn't seem to handle that. I'd be on vacation walking for hours and it gave me nothing. Before I retired I'd be in front of the computer all day and hardly get up which also caused me to miss some. And it seems very inconsistent with the reminders. I think the idea of getting up once an hour to stretch your legs is a good one.

Fitbit actually beats Apple Watch in this respect. It reminded you to get 200 steps per hour. Which to me is more worthwhile than 2 stand minutes
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,751 Member
    Options
    @biketheworld – I used to stockpile stuff at the bottom of the stairs but I try not to do that now.

@jamcnewman – I also need to move about in the morning to relieve pain and stiffness, I try to get at least 1,000 steps by the time I sit down to breakfast.

@SummerSkier – before I retired I thought I would be more active when I was home but actually I found myself very sedentary when I first retired. It’s surprising how much walking you can do in short bursts.

@Mrs_Hoffer – 15 minutes from car to desk! That is a workout on it’s own.

@ideas2 – I’ve seen/heard similar stories about simply standing more, specifically standing up and sitting down (without using your hands)

@ashleycarole – some good ideas there.

@josefinejem – walking is a really good exercise, lots of short walks can be a good way to get fit.

@StayFITTer – that GymBoss App sounds scary
  • victorious55
    victorious55 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Options
    March 5, 2022

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes

Habits to maintain this month:
    Kitchen Closed? Yes
    Did you go "nuts" with nuts today? No (5 days -free)
    Within Sugar macro today? Yes (4 day)

Pass day 0/3 (this is for accountability to myself and my records).
  • StayFITTer
    StayFITTer Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    @lesdarts180
    Scary? 🤔 It’s just a free customizable interval timer 🤷🏾‍♀️ It’s a tool to use when you don’t want to look at a clock (with a seconds hand) or watch for the duration of an exercise. It’ll do the thinking while you focus on your moves and breathing! I use it for my Couch 2 5k training.
  • rashel1
    rashel1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Exercise-walking 30 minutes and bowling 30min
    Tracked-yes
    Calories- in range
    3 passes remain
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,030 Member
    Options
    (Documenting consistency (if there is a P=instead of number its a Pass Day)

UAC: 🍀🍀🍀 🍀 🍀 6 7 8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-29-30-31
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    yesx3
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,225 Member
    Options
    Back to check on my Saturday crew 😂

It’s always a joy to see so many posting consistently, and that so many of us are being mindful of finding ways to move more.

🥳 Yes x 3 🥳 Yay!!! 👌🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
    @calvin20874
    @DebyS137
    @snowshoe072
    @Jan1936
    @Marilynsretired
    @LazyBlondeChef
    @lesdarts180
    @victorious55
    @rashel1
    @MadisonMolly2017
    @KCJen

👍🏻 Bravo👌🏻Consistently posting no matter what!!! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
    @Caroline_slowandsteady
    @Elbee1

I will check back tomorrow to see what’s what!

• bookieNJ
    bookieNJ Posts: 3,714 Member
    Options
    3 yeses!
  • donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    I’m going to apologise straight out for not including any fancy graphics, pictures, memes. I don’t know how to do them so I’m just going to write my piece.

The theme for today is supposed to be “Cannot achieve goals with exercise alone”. Last month Summer discussed the fact that “goals” can be all sorts of things, not all about weight loss, so I’m not going to use that header.

I am looking at “What constitutes exercise and what does it do for us?

From the NHS website:

"Step right up! It's the miracle cure we've all been waiting for.
    It can reduce your risk of major illnesses, such as coronary heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and cancer and lower your risk of early death by up to 30%.

It's free, easy to take, has an immediate effect and you don't need a GP to get some. Its name? Exercise."

The UAC “rule” is 20 minutes of intentional exercise, this fits well with most guidelines issued by various authorities.
    The NHS here in the UK suggests:

Physical activity guidelines for adults aged 19 to 64:

Adults should do some type of physical activity every day. Exercise just once or twice a week can reduce the risk of heart disease or stroke.

Adults should aim to:
    • do strengthening activities that work all the major muscle groups (legs, hips, back, abdomen, chest, shoulders and arms) on at least 2 days a week
    • do at least 150 minutes of moderate intensity activity a week or 75 minutes of vigorous intensity activity a week
    • spread exercise evenly over 4 to 5 days a week, or every day
    • reduce time spent sitting or lying down and break up long periods of not moving with some activity
    You can also achieve your weekly activity target with:
    • several short sessions of very vigorous intensity activity
    • a mix of moderate, vigorous and very vigorous intensity activity

I have found lots of articles on line with similar suggestions.
    Our 20 minutes rule should be achievable by most people most days, it’s not competitive, you don’t have to run, lift weights, hike up mountains, it doesn't even have to be 20 minutes all at once, 2 x 10 minutes is OK providing it is intentional.

I also want to introduce the concept of NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis). I read a thread about this a couple of years ago while I was still in the losing weight phase and it is a really useful idea, especially if you have difficulty getting in your “exercise”.

What it boils down to is quite simply – move more. Find ways to increase your daily activity and it will boost your calorie consumption. Take the stairs not the lift at work, drink lots of water and make lots of trips to the loo. Walk through to your colleagues’ office instead of phoning or emailing them. At home take the laundry upstairs in several small loads. When you’re out and about find small ways to walk more. Keeping active might even reduce the opportunity for that sneaky snack to attack you.

When we are overweight and are struggling to walk, climb stairs etc we find sneaky ways to be more efficient, try to reverse these habits and be less efficient.
    I went out for the day recently and found myself having to wait for a train that was running late. Everyone else was standing but I walked back and forth along the platform. A 15 minute wait can translate into 2,000 steps. I have mentioned before my “bus stop exercises”, when I find myself waiting for a bus – walk around, swing your arms, punch the air, do some leg curls, knee lifts. (My boyfriend gets embarrassed but I tell him to pretend he doesn’t know me.)

What can you (or do you) do to increase your non-exercise activity? Where can you insert 2 minutes of movement? Waiting for the kettle to boil? Coffee to brew?
    Share your ideas.

This is just awesome @lesdarts180 and u r so right this is such a great way to get sum movement in. My lil toddler loves playing with rocks and emptying them from one bucket to another so I do a few squats while supervising! I also find doing my glute workout while watching a movie or a show a great way to make me stick to it. Xo
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,225 Member
    Options
    bookieNJ wrote: »
    3 yeses!

👍🏻 Well done