Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Walking, yes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,072 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I'm not sure I can articulate my thoughts on this excellent topic in a succinct way, but I definitely think that thought work was and continues to be a huge key to turning around my previously very unhealthy life and habits.

A huge part of my overeating was based on negative thoughts with no outlet. I knew I was hurting myself with food, but the difficulty with processing those thoughts led me to soothe in the way that felt best.

Of course, many of those thoughts are still there. And I no longer allow myself to eat with reckless abandon. So what has changed?

-Learning to sit with my negative emotions. I may feel things, but I no longer get to try to fix that with food. I have also come far enough now to know if I tried it would only make the problem worse (of course... this was the case when I was morbidly obese but the thought of doing things differently seemed impossible then).
    -Questioning my negative thoughts and learning to reframe them.
    -Reducing how much I ruminate. Fixation on the issue would drive my anxiety up and then again I would feel I was in a state I needed to soothe. The quicker I can get my mind moving on to other things, the less likely that anxiety rises in me, and the less I have to try to address it.
    -Not letting perfect be the enemy of the good. I am your stereotypical perfectionist people pleaser and this one is VERY hard for me. But it's perhaps where I needed to change the most. I am far from reformed from these characteristics, but I'm self-aware of where they've hurt me in the past. I no longer shy away from setting boundaries, and I do something because it's good for me and I want to and don't feel the need to keep up appearances anymore.

You have done amazing work @ashleycarole86 by getting to the heart of what drove your overeating and stalled you from living the life you wanted. Such hard work and not easy. You have my admiration — you are a strong woman 💐
  • jamcnewman
    edited March 2022
    Options
    rashel1 wrote: »
    Weekends are hard to stay on track. I feel the need to relax and let all worries go on Weekends. Tracking and keeping up with health is a job in its own all week long. I am trying to make it a habit so it feels less taxing but that takes time too.
    Sunday, pass day. I rested all day, nourished my body with much needed food and relaxation. I feel like I am hungry all week long, its exhausting. Maybe I need to up the calories or up my nutritional value of the food I eat?

2 passes remain

It is hard work and you are doing your best @rashel1 I wish you didn’t feel so hungry all week long. Is there one thing you could focus on in the coming week to see if you could change that discomfort? So many folks here with much more experience than me — but I found that getting a good dose of protein at every meal, drinking more water than I imagined I needed, and tracking and keeping vegetables, fruits, and fibre at higher levels helped to give me a sense of fullness and kept me from feeling hungry — and that was by using the same amount of calories differently. I made the changes slowly, focusing on changing only one thing each week before finding what worked. Perhaps you could pop your concern and questions onto the “what is on my mind” thread for the March UAC? You will get feedback from others that way.

Wishing you a good week ahead. 🥰
  • jamcnewman
    Options
    All three complete 0/3 pass days.

I have some habits, actually a lifestyle change in my eating habits, I am trying to reduce meat, fowl and fish and consume more Whole Foods, veggies and fruits, nuts and grains. I know this is a process but I am hopeful that I can be successful at least 75% of the time for awhile. Will I fall ? I am sure I will, but it’s a new way of thinking and I hope a healthier life style for me. Will I completely give up all the foods I like? No life is too short but I want to be healthy and well to enjoy it I take no medications at all right now and I would like to keep it that way so this is a big change on the path to good health and a healthier lifestyle.

What a great focus you’ve chosen and a well thought through approach to managing your mindset through change Kate @snowshoe072 🌟
  • jamcnewman
    Options
    @makattack220 and @jmu1965 Sounds like you both had and benefited from enjoyment today! Well done on posting today. Wishing you both a terrific week ahead 🥰
  • jamcnewman
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Jana_2020 wrote: »
    Ty for a great post today @makattack220! I don't have much time to elaborate tonight but I am and have been working on mindset, habits, different coping mechanisms, changing thought patterns, changing behaviours, etc. for over a year now. I still have a lot of work to do but feel I have made huge strides from where I was a year ago.

Yes x 3 today.
    @Jana_2020
    You are doing amazing self work Jana — and doesn’t that feel so good to invest that effort in yourself and your health? I know how hard your workweek can be. Please know I am thinking of you as you head back in. Continue to take good care of yourself. 💛
  • jamcnewman
    edited March 2022
    Options
    ideas2 wrote: »
    ✅ Exercise: 55 minutes swimming
    ✅ Calories
    ✅ Tracked

0 pass days used ( )

Recently I have done so much reading on real whole food that it has become amazingly like a mindset for me. I realized how far this has gone when I looked at the picture of cake winnerforlife posted and felt that what I would most like to eat in that picture was the slice of kiwi! The cake doesn´t even look like something I want to eat anymore. I fear that I will not stay in this counterculture healthy mindset though once my reading and listening interests return to another topic and the constant messages of advertisers and past memories of occasions with cake might errode it away.
    I know this feeling @ideas2 and for me it is for any packaged or processed food. Right now, I can’t imagine ever eating it again. I do think that my current rejection of processed foods is a formed mindset which has created a personal generalized sense that they cannot possibly be as beneficial to my health as whole foods. Is it “true”? Realistically — not to the extent that my current mindset has locked into. Is this mindset anchored for the long term? I doubt it — but I know it benefits me right now in this stage of my health journey, and so I let it ride. That mindset will shift and change in time, and that will be okay too, as long as good health is at the heart of my intentional adoption of a position. I do often wonder why so many of us are creatures who pursue extraordinary changes in mindset, and how we so easily let go of (previously) firmly held practice.
  • Caroline_slowandsteady
    Options
    March 6

Exercise: 15 minutes MommaStrong, 30 minutes stretching
    Tracking; Pre-planned the day, changed the plan, tracked EVERYthing (with some necessarily rough estimations)
    Calories: 496 over
    Up 0.5
    Seeing a number on the scale I really don't want to see - definitely not a "maintenance" number

We are loosening up a bit after a long time of not seeing people for covid. We had people over - kids to play with our kids, parents too - and got bakery treats for a snack to share. And I indulged. And we got bread at the bakery too and I had some with lunch and some with dinner, that I had not budgeted for.
    Other than that, my eating was pretty good. But that did a lot of damage. I think we need to learn how to do this socializing thing in a way that is sustainable for my weight loss efforts. The bakery was my suggestion - I wanted to have something festive that the kids would enjoy. One of the kids seemed grossed out by the bakery stuff and we gave him a yogurt instead, and I was like - Oh, we could have just offered yogurts, maybe? I feel like I totally forgot how to socialize. My kids have too. It's all kind of awkward and delightful.

I was not terribly hungry during the day except after bakery treats before dinner. That was definitely a case of too much sugar making me hungry.

Thanks for the mindset topic. This is so interesting. I don't think it was any kind of distorted mindset that led to my being overweight - it was pregnancy. And my usual mindset of being able to do the things I want to and shape my life the way I want it to be has served me well in weight loss so far. But where I am right now, where I am kind of "giving up" and being in maintenance for a while at least, but I don't want to regain - so "giving up" a little bit, but not all the way - that is a mindset that I am really struggling with. A few months ago I just would not have eaten those bakery treats. Now I'm thinking that maybe I can have them, or at least some of them... it's hard to live in the middle.
  • Caroline_slowandsteady
    Options
    @rashel1 I have been struggling a lot with hunger too and there is a lot of good advice for me that might also apply to you in the "What's on Your Mind" section. If it does not apply, I bet if you ask there people will give you some good advice. Being hungry all the time is the WORST!

The best advice I got was to track EVERYthing. Because that data is what's going to allow you to unravel the mystery of why you are hungry and how to be less hungry and still achieve your goals.
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    Jan1936 wrote: »
    Re: Mindset
    The biggest change in mindset for me is remembering to be kind to myself. I am trying to keep in mind that I cannot hate myself to health and keeping my self talk loving, empathetic and positive. (this is way harder than it sounds for some reason)

@Jan1936
    Oh, goodness! This is SO TRUE!!! I'm beginning to do better with this, but it just fascinates me how easily I can "beat myself up" over any kind of stumble..... and yet, I would NEVER talk to anyone else the way that I talk to myself! Thanks for sharing.
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    Mar 6
    ✅✅✅ exercise today was a 8.75 mile walk home from church. We have colder weather moving back in again on Tuesday..... bummer. I'm so anxious for Spring! ;)

I could've sworn that I posted last night.... but I cannot find my post here.
    One of my biggest mindset changes has been in the area of tracking/logging. I used to not want to "have to" track/log my food for the rest of my life..... but my shift has been to the idea that tracking/logging is my biggest "key" to keeping the weight off. I don't look at it as a 'chore' any more.
  • jamcnewman
    Options
    Mrs_Hoffer wrote: »
    Mar 6
    ✅✅✅ exercise today was a 8.75 mile walk home from church. We have colder weather moving back in again on Tuesday..... bummer. I'm so anxious for Spring! ;)

I could've sworn that I posted last night.... but I cannot find my post here.
    One of my biggest mindset changes has been in the area of tracking/logging. I used to not want to "have to" track/log my food for the rest of my life..... but my shift has been to the idea that tracking/logging is my biggest "key" to keeping the weight off. I don't look at it as a 'chore' any more.

Terrific walk Teresa!!! Well done 👍🏻. So eager for spring to arrive too. 🌸🌺🌷🌻🌼
  • jamcnewman
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Wonderful work on causing a ✅✅✅ day for yourself @strength3335 @calvin20874 @Elbee1 @DebyS137 @Intrinsicat and @MadisonMolly2017

@Caroline_slowandsteady - I really appreciate your posts and reading your insights and learning. Yes - the return to socializing is wonderful and yes - it is like we need time to adjust to that. We’ve had some opportunities lately (having folks over after everyone has a rapid negative test first) and I have been really surprised at how I (yes, it was me) made food the focus. I think it is natural to want to celebrate with food. I just need to get better at choosing food that doesn’t push me over the top. Something to think about to be sure!