INTRODUCTIONS

Options
2»

Replies

• jjeanmneis
    jjeanmneis Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm Jenni

My teachers wanted me tested and to be put on meds when I little because I was all over the place. My parents, not knowing what ADD or ADHD was, made the best choice for me they could and decided that because I feel asleep as soon as I got home from school (without doing homework) I couldn't possibly be hyperactive and decided not to medicate me. I've always struggled with school - unless it was a subject I liked. My parents always said - sure a kid would rather eat cake all day if you'd let them too. Do better in the other subjects. I've had boss's tell me I'm not effecient and friends that, in good humor, remind me how random I can be.
    Now that I'm married and have a son myself, who is ADHD, I often wonder - what if.? I've never been dx with ADD or ADHD, but I as I learn more about my son's ADHD and read the posts from everyone I find myself wondering because I've heard it's genetic.
    My son,5, is about to start school this fall and is so hyper off meds that he will quite literally turn circles - flipping back and forth between coloring, tv, playing with his toys and eating - one bite at a time - often being to "busy" to eat until he's hungry, then he'll out eat an adult. He is also speech delayed which we've chalked up to ear infections when he was younger, but I'm wondering if it's partly do to him not sitting still to "listen" how to talk. I've even had people think he's autistic. On meds he's calmer, listens more, speaks more clearly - but younger for his age.
    I have lots of questions, but have no idea where to start I can't even seem to get my thoughts together here. Lol:tongue:
  • diet3764
    diet3764 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm Shonte

I was very excited to find this group. My story is similar to many of you. I was just diagnosed at 35 with ADHD with No Hyperactivity (that's the way the term in now) after my son was diagnosed. I've always known it took me longer to do things and I was easily distracted but I never knew non-hyperactive people suffered from ADHD. I managed to make it through some college but school was always a struggle and I don't remember the majority of it. So I haven't really excelled at anything. Like many others, I have tons of crafts I've started and stopped as well. I started dieting again because I've been studying ADHD and learned that exercise helps you focus and the types of food we eat can have an affect on our symptoms. I have started and stopped dieting numerous times. Its funny, I always knew I didn't succeed because I wasn't persistent and committed enough. However, some how it ever dawned on my that it was because of my ADHD. I am excited to be a part of this group. Hopefully, it will have helpful information for me and my son.
  • jjeanmneis
    jjeanmneis Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi Shonte
  • agstone1
    agstone1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm Angela and I was diagnosed at age 50. I grew up thinking I was "lazy", was accused of "playing stupid" and ridiculed for being obese since the age of 12. The fact that I managed to raise a family and work full time for all those years before my diagnosis, is proof that I am smart, strong and "handi-capable". My weight goes way up and way down, depending on my circumstances. Seven weeks ago, I joined the ranks of grandparents raising their grandchildren, and I've gained 20lbs in that short amount of time. I'm hoping to find accountability, yet at the same time, I'm terrified to find accountability. Oh look, a Squirrel!!
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Rachel and I'm now in tears reading these stories, I feel so alone like no one understands but all these stories are me they are the struggles I go though!! I was diagnosed 11 years ago, I'm 38 now. I never passed school, I have failed everything I've started, I go all gunhoe into everything then stop and never finish....I hate being like this :( I don't want meds again they made me feel crap....I need help but I just want to do it without telling anyone in my family or any of my friends....no one understands anyway!! Apart from all of you, all describe my struggles :smile:
  • debnjk
    debnjk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    jjeanmneis wrote: »
    Hi. I'm Jenni

My teachers wanted me tested and to be put on meds when I little because I was all over the place. My parents, not knowing what ADD or ADHD was, made the best choice for me they could and decided that because I feel asleep as soon as I got home from school (without doing homework) I couldn't possibly be hyperactive and decided not to medicate me. I've always struggled with school - unless it was a subject I liked. My parents always said - sure a kid would rather eat cake all day if you'd let them too. Do better in the other subjects. I've had boss's tell me I'm not effecient and friends that, in good humor, remind me how random I can be.
    Now that I'm married and have a son myself, who is ADHD, I often wonder - what if.? I've never been dx with ADD or ADHD, but I as I learn more about my son's ADHD and read the posts from everyone I find myself wondering because I've heard it's genetic.
    My son,5, is about to start school this fall and is so hyper off meds that he will quite literally turn circles - flipping back and forth between coloring, tv, playing with his toys and eating - one bite at a time - often being to "busy" to eat until he's hungry, then he'll out eat an adult. He is also speech delayed which we've chalked up to ear infections when he was younger, but I'm wondering if it's partly do to him not sitting still to "listen" how to talk. I've even had people think he's autistic. On meds he's calmer, listens more, speaks more clearly - but younger for his age.
    I have lots of questions, but have no idea where to start I can't even seem to get my thoughts together here. Lol:tongue:

I don't know if you're even still on here, Jenni, and your son is probably 11 now. I've been dx'd since 2002, and done lots of research, been involved in a lot of ADHD groups. I'd be happy to answer as many of your questions as I can. ❤️
  • debnjk
    debnjk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, folks. I'm Deborah.

Looks like this group hasn't been very active for a while. Did you all forget about it? (ADHD joke) 😁

I was dx'd in 2002 at the "ripe old age" of almost 32. In the last 19 years I've learned a lot about ADHD, been involved in a number of groups, and worked to spread correct information about ADHD to the general public and find the 80% of adults with ADHD who aren't dx'd and think they're just failures. 🤗

I'm married, with one kiddo, who I homeschool. He's currently 12. We're all shiny as the day is long. Hubs is the only one who isn't dx'd, but if he doesn't have it, I'm the Queen of England! Pretty certain he is Hyperactive type. I'm Combo type, leaning towards Inattentive. I suspect son is Combo type leaning towards Inattentive also, but it's a little hard to tell while he's still a kid. He may be on the AS as well, or at least has tendencies that way, which I think he got from my dad as hubs and I don't seem to have them. 💎

Sorry this is getting long. Time to get up and stretch, run around the house, or grab a glass of water. 😝

Okay, back to it.

MFP and weight loss, etc:
    I've been on MFP since April 2020, and I've lost 36 lbs. I've got 16 lbs to go to my goal weight, but the last 20 are really kicking my butt (as in, I've really been struggling since I got to the last 20). I lost almost 20 lbs last year in the time it's taken me to lose 4 this year. ⚖️

I've tried getting friends to join me, but only one has, and she doesn't have ADHD so she doesn't understand the struggles. So I decided to see if any of my tribe were on here, and here you are. Hoping we can help each other to break through whatever is holding us back. ❤️
  • Cerizez
    Cerizez Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi Swaty here.
    I was diagnosed with ADD in college. I always had great grades but I can never do one thing at a time, I am always hyperactive and get bored so easily and extremely impatient. I can grasp stuff real quick but I lag behind when attention need to be paid to finer details. Also I'm constantly grazing or nibbling. Especially when I need to concentrate on something, like during tests or when I am stressed.
    My parents refused to believe the doc and never put me on meds and so I've been my hyper self for as long as I can remember.
    It has a few perks ,I multitask all the time.
    I can never study without the tv on or some moie playing that gets me really frustrated.

This sounds so like me.
    The procrastination is a killer though.
    And I just can’t DO anything that I need to do. The more urgent and important something is, the more I ignore it.

Meds don’t help. Concerta made me throw up. Vyvance is having no effect. Doc has just increased my dose to 70mg after trying 20, 30, 50. NOTHING IS HELPING.

Any suggestions peeps would be great.
  • dianafaye565
    dianafaye565 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not sure how active this group is or if I'll remember to check back, but giving it a shot-

Hi, I'm Diana. Not exactly new to the app but I am new to using the community. I'm 37 and was just Dx with ADD (among other things) last year. I've struggled with ED as a teen and weight fluctuations- I'm still trying to figure out how much ADD played a part in all that but one big barrier has always been meal planning, hyper fixating, and burnout.

I'm currently not able to get on meds but I am seeing a therapist and doing a lot of inner work, and beginning of this year trying to make small changes to improve my health. I started with just trying to drink more water and better sleep schedule, and for the past month or so been watching what I eat and using this app. Small adjustments have been easier for me to stick with, at least for now. I've been mostly sticking to my calorie limit, not obsessing over trying to hit perfect macros, and picking quick and easy items when I go shopping. It's an ok tactic for now, but my grocery list could be better and I don't want to end up burning out again. My goal is to loose much needed weight (need to loose at least 60 to get to a healthy weight) but also to improve overall health and hopefully help manage my ADD since I'm not able to do more than counseling right now. Hopefully I'll be able to find some info and ideas here to help with that.